10 Posts

Arcadia Quest: Inferno» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions on Level 3 Items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Is there still no word on an official FAQ? So many of the wordings are so confusing...

Anyhow, here are a couple of questions we had on level 3 items:

1) Searing vs Thorny Braces

Searing
Quote:

If this rolls any Hits against a Hero, Saves scored by the Defense roll count as Wounds against him instead.

Thorny Bracer
Quote:

Each Hit cancelled by this Hero's Defense roll deals 1 Wound and 1 Damnation to the attacking Hero.

So to be sure, if attacker rolls 2 hits with Searing and defender rolls 3 shields, the defender takes 5 damage but the attacker doesn't take anything because Searing doesn't allow hits to be cancelled - Thus Thorny Braces is ineffective at all in the situation?

2) Intimidate (Pet Item) -
Quote:

Deal 1 Wound to Enemies that leave a Space Close to this Pet (limit 1 Wound per Enemy per turn).

Does forced movement count as "Leave"?

Example, player A has Jamon the boar as a pet whose ability states that if he ends his movement in a square, he can shove characters on the spot he is standing on.

Do the shoved character count as "leaving" thus take a wound from intimidate?

What about Shockwave\Windblast?

While we're at it, what about Portal usage?

3) On the subject of Jamon, his higher level ability says he can shove everyone on the square he stands on to close spaces -

Does he have to shove everyone or can he chose to shove X but not Y?
Does he have to shove everyone to the same spot? Or can he split people up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Greene
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Yes, Thorny Braces is ineffective. Searing is a spell specifically designed to counter armor.

2) I would say that intimidate would work the same way as a guard reaction from a monster, so forced movement (including shove, shockwave, windblast, etc.) doesn't trigger it, and neither would portal usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
So to be sure, if attacker rolls 2 hits with Searing and defender rolls 3 shields, the defender takes 5 damage

This part is not necessarily correct. The defender takes wounds from the saves - instead - of any wounds from the hits. So two hits saved would become 2 wounds.

The question is if any shields are rolled beyond what you need to block do those also become wounds? Are shields saves if they save nothing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
This part is not necessarily correct. The defender takes wounds from the saves - instead - of any wounds from the hits. So two hits saved would become 2 wounds.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. The point of Searing is that you cannot defend from its damage and it turns strong defenses into negatives - hence you want to keep rolling misses.

It says that hits that are cancelled are turned to wounds instead.
Not that that you take the defense damage instead of the wounds you are given.

So yes, 2 hits + 3 shields = 5 damage.
That is a given in any other scenario.

I'm just not sure if Thorny Bracers gets to still reflect the damage or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Carcking wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. The point of Searing is that you cannot defend from its damage and it turns strong defenses into negatives - hence you want to keep rolling misses.

It says that hits that are cancelled are turned to wounds instead.
Not that that you take the defense damage instead of the wounds you are given.

So yes, 2 hits + 3 shields = 5 damage.
That is a given in any other scenario.

I'm just not sure if Thorny Bracers gets to still reflect the damage or not.

I agree, searing would do 5 damage.

To me, it seems clear Thorny Bracer does nothing. The trigger for Thorny Bracer is cancelling hits, and no hits are cancelled (else, the damage would not be 5), hence it does nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably correct, though the original wording is strange.
By the rulebook, shields dont CANCEL hits, they are BLOCKED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Shield blocks nothing can it count as a Save? The wording says Save, not Shield so I'm not convinced that 2 Hits and 3 Shields = 5 Wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Tai
msg tools
it says saves so if he rolls 3 defend, but theres only 2 hits, he can only saves 2 hits, im guessing it would be 2 hits 2 saves = 4 wounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 17 of the Arcadia Quest rule book, it says that rolling a shield is a save and that saves cancel hits. The number of saves do not depend on the number of hits and example 3 does not even specify the hits when counting saves. This is very similar to page 18 of Arcadia Quest Inferno book.

As far as I can tell, there is not an ambiguity. I think the answer is 5 wounds because 3 saves were rolled. No hits were cancelled by saves since the saves dealt wounds instead, so the bracer does nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sumanye wrote:
On page 17 of the Arcadia Quest rule book, it says that rolling a shield is a save and that saves cancel hits. The number of saves do not depend on the number of hits and example 3 does not even specify the hits when counting saves. This is very similar to page 18 of Arcadia Quest Inferno book.

As far as I can tell, there is not an ambiguity. I think the answer is 5 wounds because 3 saves were rolled. No hits were cancelled by saves since the saves dealt wounds instead, so the bracer does nothing.

Good catch. I'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.