Subject: dice rolls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
finally got around to watching some videos of this game - it looks amazing! i'm down with just about everything i see here, except for safe cracking - rolling dice seems like an odd way to handle this.

i think i'm going to pick this game up anyways, but i was just curious what people thought about this part of the game.

i was watching rahdo play through a sample game, and at one point he was basically just playing yahtzee to crack the safe. it seemed somewhat out of place based on everything else i'd seen in the game up to that point. not sure how i would do it myself...heck, it probably even makes the game more exciting but idk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works. Just enough random so that it preserves the unknown without slowing down the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand your point. It does seem to be an element of randomness, even beyond that of the roaming guards.

However you are in control of how random you are willing for it to be. Every AP invested gives you another die. Yes, a fist full of dice could (and do) still miss rolling that single needed number, but such are the vagaries of chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's more about mitigating the luck than being completely powerless to it, but even so you can still miss the numbers you need.

"Should I roll this one die four times, or should I spend some action points to add another die and then roll them both twice? Even if I miss with two, our chances will be better on your next turn. You could roll both of them four times, or add one more and then roll all three twice.."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the role of the Peterman, who can further mitigate the dice rolls with his special power. Honestly, this game is far more about the planning out of moves and avoiding the effects of tiles and the guards than about the dice rolling. It's an excellent game that I've found a lot of fun to play both with a group or solo. Don't hesitate to add it to the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like everyone above has been saying, Its really not so bad as it seems. I've never really found myself stuck on a safe for very long, You can always spend actions to add more dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its fine. Safe cracking shouldn't be straight forward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
PeteTruss14 wrote:
Its fine. Safe cracking shouldn't be straight forward

That's what I love about the theme of the game. You have to reveal which numbers to crack the safe by exploring the floor. Then even knowing the numbers you are slowly moving the dial (rolling the dice) and trying to subtly listen for those clicks indicating you got the safe to the next spot. And sometimes you screw up. So you keep trying. It feels thematic to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
i read through the rule book, and it does seem like it would be fine actually. the bit about finding the code from the tiles along the same column & row as the safe is really clever too. i'm definitely going to pick this one up soon. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.