8 Posts

Runewars Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Panic using the die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Jones
msg tools
mbmb
When getting the panic icon on the die, do you assign a panic token to the unit? Or do you have to spend that panic (and add any panic tokens) so it is not wasted during that attack?

Basically when attaching a unit without any panic tokens on it, and getting the panic symbol, do I have to chance it and take a card? Or save it by placing a token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must spend any morale icons immediately. You may spend any panic tokens to boost the effect, but are not required to.

(Nowhere does it say that morale icons can be converted to panic tokens. The section on attack, step 11, Says that spending morale icons is part of the attack.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jones
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
My understanding is you can only spend panic tokens when the morale symbol is rolled on a dice. However, one friend argues that even if the symbol is not rolled you can still cause a morale check by spending however many panic tokens the unit has. He said that when you roll the symbol on the dice it simply adds one more to the test. Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
You friend is wrong. Tokens may affect other abilities, and increase the level of a panic check. If a panic symbol is rolled on an attack die, this initiates a panic check. This is the only way to initiate a panic check unless an ability allows one to occur. They dont "just happen".

If your friend insists on his ruling, have him pull out the book and show you where it states this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
If your friend insists on his ruling, have him pull out the book and show you where it states this.

Actually, I think the friend is right. Rule 10.11 (the Resolve Morale subsection in the Attack heading) says that you spend any combination of morale icons and panic tokens to cause the defender to suffer a morale test. It doesn't say that any morale icons have to be rolled for this to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
msg tools
Xelto's right, the rules don't say anything about needing to roll a panic morale result for an attack to cause a morale test. "Any combination of morale icons and panic tokens" would include a combination that is nothing but panic tokens.

Longbombed wrote:
This is the only way to initiate a panic check unless an ability allows one to occur.

Making a ranged attack against a unit that is engaged with a friendly unit also initiates a morale check for the friendly unit.

RRG, pg 16:
"65.3 After an attacker performs a ranged attack against an enemy
that is engaged with one or more of the attacker’s allied units,
each of those allied units suffers a severity-one morale test."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
daaaannnnnnnnnnnng. thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.