Terra Mystica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tricky Faction selection, what would you have picked? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ken liu
United States
California
flag msg tools
Original map with temple scoring and variable turn order. 4 player game.

Player 1 - Dwarves
Player 2 - Darklings
Player 3 - Me
Player 4 - ?

Scoring tiles

1 - D>>2, 4 Water -> P
2 - Town>>5, 4 Earth -> 1 Spade
3 - SA/SH>>5, 2 Air -> 1W
4 - TE>>4, 1 CULT_P -> 2C
5 - D>>2, 4 Fire -> 4PW
6 - TP>>3

Bonus tiles
1 - spd + 2c
2 - cult +4c
3 - +6c
5 - 1w,3pw
6 - SH vp4, +2w
8 - 1P
9 - D vp1, +2c

I'm curious what you guys would pick and the thought process behind the choice. ELO's for everyone are between 1150 and 1350, and assume everyone is playing to win and not for "fun".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
I like witches and especially chaosmagicians for that setup, except that Dwarves are picked already. I would settle for mermaids except that they're one of my worst factions. Also no joke Fakirs look viable with a second favour on rd3 and a third on rd4, lots of carpet flight on round 5 with tw7. Fakirs would be a great pick after 3rd mermaids. But if it was me in a tourney game I'd probably pick the faction I was most comfortable with of what's left since there are no clear favourites after grey is already picked (weakening chaosmagicians and witches) and darklings (who can score a lot with that setup) or Alchemists (who can also score a lot with that setup).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Pell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mermaids. The four water and the likelihood of you getting the priest tile r1 is almost enough on its own, but given that the setup is awkward, any race that can safely temple r1 and not care about anything until they get the temple down is going to be very happy. As long as player four does not choose witches, which aren't a particularly good faction on this board, you're in business as the mermaids.

Stronghold r3 is a good move as mermaids, but unless you get lucky in the top right mid section of the board, you won't fulfill your r2 town. That being said, if you felt crazy you could go swarmlings, but i usually never go swarmlings unless r1 is stronghold scoring.

Blue factions are good on this board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any blue or yellow faction. Late TP>>3 bonus is not good for Swarmlings, the rest of the setup is okay for them. One might still pick them and aim for act6 in round 1, a town in r2 and a SA in R3.
Nomads with a temple start and SH or SA in round 3 should work well.
Fakirs are of course brave/risky.

Picking brown would mean gambling on a green pick at seat 4 (which isn't very unlikely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gambia
Brest
msg tools
xavier0730 wrote:
Original map with temple scoring and variable turn order. 4 player game.

Player 1 - Dwarves
Player 2 - Darklings
Player 3 - Me
Player 4 - ?

Scoring tiles

1 - D>>2, 4 Water -> P
2 - Town>>5, 4 Earth -> 1 Spade
3 - SA/SH>>5, 2 Air -> 1W
4 - TE>>4, 1 CULT_P -> 2C
5 - D>>2, 4 Fire -> 4PW
6 - TP>>3

Bonus tiles
1 - spd + 2c
2 - cult +4c
3 - +6c
5 - 1w,3pw
6 - SH vp4, +2w
8 - 1P
9 - D vp1, +2c

I'm curious what you guys would pick and the thought process behind the choice. ELO's for everyone are between 1150 and 1350, and assume everyone is playing to win and not for "fun".

Grey and black are picked.

Because green and red doesn't get along well with grey, that leaves us with blue, brown and yellow.

Mermaids: no bon10, no bon4, and 4th player can pick brown and not necessarily yellow, so I wouldn't pick them here.

Swarmlings: presence of bon1, bon6, town6 on round 2, SA on 3rd, good 4-step cult rewards. They only lacks bon7 and a second TP round, but besides that they have plenty of good factors at first sight.

Halflings: when there is a black faction, usually compensate with spade round scoring. That's not the case here.

Cultists: cult bonus are not very attractive, but because there are only 2/4 VP scoring BON, they can make the difference with cult scoring. However round scoring looks a bit hard to connect with. 4th player picking nomads is also a risk here.

Fakirs: dubious with no additional scoring tile.

Nomads: Robust choice here. BON are well fitted to snowball a good economy and delay their SH to round 3. Thanks to it, Nomads can connect well with the round scoring and aim for network scoring at the same time. Moreover they are quite flexible here as they can also go for a SH on round 1 and town6 on round2. Their main drawback is that they cannot rely on heavy BON scoring in this game.

Faction candidates are: Swarmlings, Cultists, Nomads.

Color choice:
Because the 4th player is unlikely to sandwich itself on the color wheel, yellow would come out with 0 color neighbour and blue with 1. Brown is a bit more risky, because the 4th players can choose to pick yellow (even though as there is BON1, he would rather pick blue that is more robust to a color neighbour than yellow. If there weren't bon1, SH nomads would be more robust as 4th)

Conclusion:
I think the setup don't justify to take risks with brown here, so I'd keep only Swarmlings or Nomads. I'd probably have gone for nomads because they are safer at dwellings placement, more flexible and easier to play than Swarmlings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.