27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Heroes of Land, Air & Sea» Forums » General

Subject: Several graphic design changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alexgw itsme
msg tools
Several graphic design changes were done, due to courtesy to Blizzard.

"The Orc Sea Turtle changed to an Orc War Crab, the color of the Orc Dragon changed from red to green, the Human heraldry changed, as well as the Human airship, and the term Peon changed to Serf. These voluntary changes were made as a courtesy to Blizzard." Gamelyn Games

How did now the player boards look like after all these changes? Also the heroe sheets needs to be changed (->serf) The introduction contains only the old player board of the orc and peons. I hope the also adapted the spell cards with new terms (Fagus=>Betula, Sea Turtle => War Crab, Peon =>Serf). Is there any picture from the new player boards from Orc and Human?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go, as found on the Kickstarter page. Where you can also ask questions like this. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AuMyvCHVj7c21OeDNqSzNKTUk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
As much as I loved the sea turtle design, I always felt that it would be prone to breaking with the head and flippers sticking out like that.

The crab will probably have a longer shell life (hihihihihohohohahaha)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Here you go, as found on the Kickstarter page. Where you can also ask questions like this.
Only Backers can ask questions on the Kickstarter page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
ssk0909 wrote:
As much as I loved the sea turtle design, I always felt that it would be prone to breaking with the head and flippers sticking out like that.

The crab will probably have a longer shell life (hihihihihohohohahaha)
Well done! Lol. I think a war crab seems more thematically appropriate too. Definitely more fierce than a cute sea turtle. Though if the Orcs has enslaved the turtles, that's thematic too. This art is starting to grow on me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardedOne wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
Here you go, as found on the Kickstarter page. Where you can also ask questions like this.
Only Backers can ask questions on the Kickstarter page.

Yes, of course, duh. Thanks for reminding me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael, I saw that you changed the name of Fagus because people didn't get your pronunciation. Why not consider Faegus? You get to keep the name that you liked, but it provides an alternative spelling that more drives home the pronunciation that you were going for. Win Win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
FIY.
The serfs are still called peons on the expansion box content picture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgw itsme
msg tools
In the introduction at time 1.13 the orc player board is shown, with the wording war turtle on it. I hope, when I back your project the NEW UPDATED playerboard will have the wording War Crab on it. Same with the Human heraldry on the human playerboard . And for all playerboards the wording serf instead peon will be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The video takes a bit longer to update, but you can rest assured that we will have the final product named and presented accurately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardedOne wrote:
Hey Michael, I saw that you changed the name of Fagus because people didn't get your pronunciation. Why not consider Faegus? You get to keep the name that you liked, but it provides an alternative spelling that more drives home the pronunciation that you were going for. Win Win?

We're going to stick with its new name which is actually a genus closely related to the Fagus and even looks more like the treant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Here you go, as found on the Kickstarter page. Where you can also ask questions like this. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AuMyvCHVj7c21OeDNqSzNKTUk...
ssk0909 wrote:
FIY.

It also says peons on the cards in the linked image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
djayshaggy wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
ssk0909 wrote:
FIY.

It also says peons on the cards in the linked image

Where? Can you please point it out so I can make sure to update them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't noticed this change but I'm so glad about it. I watched the John Gets Games video at the weekend and my fiancée, passing through the room, asked 'what's a peon?'

'I think it's like a peasant...' then I looked it up on Wikipedia and read it out to her.

'So it's a serf,' she said.

Bingo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alexgw wrote:

"... the term Peon changed to Serf. These voluntary changes were made as a courtesy to Blizzard."

I can understand Gamelyn's desire to avoid getting into a legal fracas with a big company like Blizzard.

It sure does bug me though when a company (such as Blizzard) feels like they have intellectual property rights over a word that is part of the common language, such as "peon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alexgw wrote:

"... the term Peon changed to Serf. These voluntary changes were made as a courtesy to Blizzard."

Similarly, should we be worried that Wizards of the Coast might get upset over the use of the term, "Magic Missile"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost feel like saying it was "Warcraft inspired"probably didn't help much. I've heard this said in interviews too. It's unfortunate that these changes are being done, though the turtle->crab->(possibly)croc is cool. I think I like the croc better than the turtle. But besides that some of these changes seem questionable like Blizzard owns peon?!? And a green dragon? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgw itsme
msg tools
Here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/heroes-of-land-air-...

Heroes of Land, Air & Sea is this simple: each player performs two actions per round. You can take a Capital Action, which could be followed by other players by using a peon.

And here on boardgamegeek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3532306/heroes-land-air-sea?...

And on the spellcard "summon"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AuMyvCHVj7S0Z5UHAxY1FKZ0E...

And on the character card of the orc chieftain:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AuMyvCHVj7S0Z5UHAxY1FKZ0E...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We'll make sure those get corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgw itsme
msg tools
Found another one:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AuMyvCHVj7cWFXeUVWUUZxeG8...

Below the word "Expand" on the top of the game board expansion .

And on the Sorceress Hero card:
see level II

Perhaps the reaper Hero card:
i cannot read it exactly

Thanks for changing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgw itsme
msg tools
In the new Lionkin faction preview:
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/016/633/964/d3b4ec09240cde2...

again word peon instead of serf :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the editor of the files or I would change them all myself right away. I have to wait to get these edits implemented by others who also have other projects, but I chose not to wait on posting this preview. I hope you understand. Regardless, the game will not print with the word peon. That is what is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgw itsme
msg tools
mgcoe wrote:
Regardless, the game will not print with the word peon.

Thanks for this answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jopeters wrote:
It's probably too late for this, but I really liked the asymmetric continents in the original map. I feel like the continents are really samey now that they are all similar island structures. Any chance of simply modifying the art on the 4 player map, while keeping the boundaries the same, to at least give continents the appearance of being a little asymmetric? Really just an aesthetic thing, but an important one IMHO.

Thanks!

I agree wholeheartedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
jopeters wrote:
It's probably too late for this, but I really liked the asymmetric continents in the original map. I feel like the continents are really samey now that they are all similar island structures. Any chance of simply modifying the art on the 4 player map, while keeping the boundaries the same, to at least give continents the appearance of being a little asymmetric? Really just an aesthetic thing, but an important one IMHO.

Thanks!

I agree wholeheartedly.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on the Kickstarter page. It's not happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.