Subject: What would you put in an expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys

Does any one know if any expansions already planned for quest of valerian.I feel that a lot could be added to give even more variety to the game. I would love more quests to go through and some new Lords with more varied goals to get you points at the end of the game.

Also is there any way to get the promotional card or have I missed my chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see very well a new mechanism that would involve buying adventurers at lower price using shady methods to do so.

We could call this mechanism "Corruption" and you would get a token each time you use it. This token would count as negati....

...Oh, wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think it would be great to get more cards that go in to the decks we currently have like event card's in to the citezen deck or may be buildings that the can buy like you buy citezens but that add to your side of the board and give the maybe a bit of magic or strength or symbols that don't get used up when you complete a quest. Maybe instead of buildings it could be upgrades to your guild hall. Like a bigger barracks room or a wizards tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Macleod
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buildings like the all the other Valeria games that give you special abilities like a forge that gives you a permanent worker icon to use. Maybe weapon cards that are associated with the different in game factions and if you finish a quest and have the weapon that matches the type of quest you put the weapon with the quest and get bonus VP's at the end of the game. the game is great it just needs more actions to give variety from the constant drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the building idea (the theme of it not the mechanic). VoV was about building up the village, QoV is just a bunch of people in a Guildhall getting recruited to go on quests.

My idea would be some different 'permanent' effects you could get from characters. Ones that give you an extra ability each round (such as pay 1 less to recruit, or peek at top card of deck etc), but make this characters also be useful for quests, so you'd have to decide to keep them or send them adventuring. This would add a bit more of an engine/tableau building to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot's of great thoughts here! Thanks everyone for participating.

We actually tried having "permanent" icons as you describe Brad. The problem was in rules explanation, occasionally people forgetting to use the power, and the disappointment someone had if they had to discard the card to complete a quest.

If I were to try and implement this now - I wouldn't worry so much about the rules explanation since this is an expansion and adding another rule now would mostly apply to people who already own/known the game and 'want' to add a bit more.

Additionally, I would probably make them Buildings that you can't discard and create a new Build action. There would be four cards (horizontal layout) under the Tavern Line. Each Building would have it's own card cost printed on it - this would allow for variable powers.

Example 1:

Name: Barracks
Cost: 2
Power: 1 Strength

Example 2: Witch's Hut
Cost: 4
Power: At the start of your turn, you may discard 1 Citizen from the Tavern, then shift the Citizens to the left.

There could be about 20 different Buildings, and then maybe like 12 Quests and 20 Citizens to support the new actions. So, you're talking about a "sort of" big expansion pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaiasvallejo42 wrote:

We actually tried having "permanent" icons as you describe Brad. The problem was in rules explanation, occasionally people forgetting to use the power, and the disappointment someone had if they had to discard the card to complete a quest.

I think the choice to keep or discard a card like that would make for interesting decisions.
-
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Isaias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing to say here other than count me in as one more happy buyer wanting more Quests of Valeria

isaiasvallejo42 wrote:

If I were to try and implement this now - I wouldn't worry so much about the rules explanation since this is an expansion and adding another rule now would mostly apply to people who already own/known the game and 'want' to add a bit more.

Additionally, I would probably make them Buildings that you can't discard and create a new Build action. There would be four cards (horizontal layout) under the Tavern Line. Each Building would have it's own card cost printed on it - this would allow for variable powers.

Example 1:

Name: Barracks
Cost: 2
Power: 1 Strength

Example 2: Witch's Hut
Cost: 4
Power: At the start of your turn, you may discard 1 Citizen from the Tavern, then shift the Citizens to the left.

There could be about 20 different Buildings, and then maybe like 12 Quests and 20 Citizens to support the new actions. So, you're talking about a "sort of" big expansion pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!! I want more! Much more! Love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaiasvallejo42 wrote:

at that point (adding buildings) I would just design a way to go from Quests of Valeria to Villages or Valeria, and interlock your games into the story of the Realm or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.