Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sileno Rocco
Brazil
Campinas
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking on a variant for the game, and would like to hear comments about:

what if US only plays with US cards, and Ussr only plays with Ussr cards?
(the dual-cards could be drawn randomly, for example)

I don't like the idea of playing a card that actually is good for the other player. So if we split the cards for each nation, we eliminate this and each player will have much more power to do stuff.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge portion of the game is mitigating damage from opponent's events. I think this would be a completely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly - nah. Half the fun and tension comes from working out how you can play your opponents cards in the way to best mitigate their impact. Take that out and you'd probably have a fairly sterile experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sileno,

For me, a lot of the fun in TS or 'struggle' so to speak is figuring out how to mitigate your opponents events when drawn. I think the game would be too predictable in the variant you describe. I know it is done that way in some CDG's like Paths of Glory, for example, but it was designed that way and there are no neutral events.

Bottom line, give it a try and see if you like it. Personally, I just don't think its something I want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
silenorocco wrote:

I don't like the idea of playing a card that actually is good for the other player.

It's the whole point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing without having to mitigate opponents cards would hamstring Twilight Struggle - you have to risk manage and find the least worst opportunities to defuse the problems your opponents cards pose.

Playing without your opponents cards also means that the spectre of being manoeuvred into a DEFCON suicide by canny play is gone. You just have to be careful when headlining to avoid running into Duck & Cover, KAL, We Will Bury You etc.

You don't get the pleasure of turning an apparent opponent event against them eg

USSR playing Five Year Plan to dump a troublesome scoring card in their final action round.

USA making Glasnost (without Reformer in play) into a chance to pay 2VP for a quasi-ABM treaty

Finally, there are some events that fill preconditions for other events that are hardly ever triggered by the player that is associated with them e.g NATO.

EDIT

I've thought of some other problems.

How do cards like Our Man in Tehran or Ask Not... that involve drawing from a shared deck work?

How do you divide the neutral events? Do they get shuffled into the draw piles for each player? Once they've been played, do you keep them in your own discard pile such that the other player never gets a chance at powerful events like ABM treaty or Brush War, or do they go into a shared discard pile for neutral events, in which case how do you determine when they go back into the individual draw decks?

What does your plan mean for cards like UN intervention, which can only be played as an event with an opponents card and cards that trigger off the play of UN Intervention - like We Will Bury You or U2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silenorocco wrote:
I don't like the idea of playing a card that actually is good for the other player.
Then this game is not for you. No shame in that. It's just a game; not French fries to be liked by everyone.

By the way, I really prefer to be drawing my opponent's events myself. I'd prefer to be in control myself on how, when and if they activate (Brezhnev in US's hands or Containment in USSR's hands). On the other hand, I really prefer my opponent to draw some events of mine (NATO in USSR's hands, Flower Power in US's hands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To turn this around, this would be like saying:

"Let's play Dominion, but we will only have one discard pile and everybody will draw from the same deck."

That would completely remove the central mechanic of the game to the point where the game is gone.

With that said, try it. If you like it, Cool! Have fun. I have tried some "crazy" variants too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I really don't mean to pile on the OP at all here. I just really love this game.)

Your post made me think a bit about something more clearly than I had thought about it before...

I realized that one of the reasons that I like TS is that, on the one hand, you really feel like you are a superpower that is pulling strings around the world. But on the other hand, you don't really have full control over when events occur (both good and bad). This really feels like a nice abstraction of what governments are like. They have enormous power to influence. But they can't decide when major world events occur. Government leaders are constantly having to "play the hand that was dealt to them," for better or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sileno Rocco
Brazil
Campinas
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have the game, just watched a few game plays, and this variant came to my mind. Maybe I really need to go a little deeper into the game, and play a few games before coming back to this idea - but I still want to give it a try

Anyway, thank you all for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
You'd be taking most of the "struggle" out of Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelVal wrote:
You'd be taking most of the "struggle" out of Twilight Struggle.

I think that's been done. Then they made a movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
silenorocco wrote:
I don't have the game, just watched a few game plays, and this variant came to my mind. Maybe I really need to go a little deeper into the game, and play a few games before coming back to this idea - but I still want to give it a try

Anyway, thank you all for your comments!

If you want this kind of mechanic, then 1960 may be a game that would suite you. It uses a combined deck, but avoiding and burying bad events is very easy to do; it may as well be using independent decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.