Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dragonfire» Forums » General

Subject: please - no stickers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really super detest stickers on boardgames, removable/reusable/whatever kind/don't care.

just going to leave it at that.
19 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing this is a card game then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynther Knight
msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadowrun Crossfire (the game which this is based on) is a card game that has stickers.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
<3 stickers
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to disappoint, but as you can see from this promo image, there are sticker slots (zoom in to see them better).

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. holding on to the faint hope they can be replaced with tokens or something. (though I suppose even if they don't, there's always the possibility of PnP or aftermarket token options)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for stickers
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
I really super detest stickers on boardgames, removable/reusable/whatever kind/don't care.

just going to leave it at that.


Take sticker
Apply to card stock or chipboard
Cut around sticker
Done

-----

Photocopy Character sheet
Write in desired stuff
Done




They're going to use stickers - that's the system.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
BenjaminHester wrote:
I really super detest stickers on boardgames, removable/reusable/whatever kind/don't care.

just going to leave it at that.


Take sticker
Apply to card stock or chipboard
Cut around sticker
Done

-----

Photocopy Character sheet
Write in desired stuff
Done




They're going to use stickers - that's the system.


yeah, this is one of a couple good workarounds I've heard, thanks for sharing. This is kind of why I avoided the overused "...OR I'M OUT" clause and just said "please" on this thread.

tbh, the lack of 1-2p and high likelihood of demons, demons, and more demons theme typical of this genre is much more concerning than stickers and the undesirable legacy-feel they add to the game. though I hear in other threads they're working on making it at least 2p supported
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
I've never played a game with stickers, so how does this work? Can you buy new cards seperatly or are the game ment to be'one-use' only?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a double-edged sword, as stickers make it convenient to take in chars at a glance and box/unbox them, but harder for re-usability.

If I get this, I'd do what I did in ShadowRun, which was on a pad of sticky (full adhesive) notes, write needed abilities, peel from pad, snip, and stick on chars. Works great as a temp sticker that can be removed later -- an easy option that straddles both worlds.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stickers definitely have some advantages for setup, no denying that.

personally, I liked the way PACG handled it - here's a free PDF of our character sheets, print and write on them as you see fit. If Dragonfire does the same, then no objection at all to the stickers, as they would be purely optional.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Noble
msg tools
I mean I don't like them, but I guess you can always sleeve and stick the stickers on sleeves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazz Paladin
msg tools
You know, I don't know what the whole deal about the "no stickers" argument is. If you don't like them, fine, just don't use them. There's nothing to stop you from using a wet or dry erase marker to fill in the info instead. or photocopy the character sheets to use in the event that you don't want to "ruin" your game.

Shadowrun: Crossfire works just fine both ways, with or without the stickers. I've done both, and while I originally opted not to "ruin" things, it is much simpler (and more aesthetically pleasing than my handwriting) to just slap on a sticker and be done with it. Or again, copy and paste the stickers if using the originals bugs you too much.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the stickers. In shadowrun I was able to take them off and on several times without them losing their durability and stickiness. It had zero effect on the player cards too.

Plus I prefer stickers over the idea of using a baggie or messingly putting artificial separators in between each charters deck. F that.


The stickers idea was amazingly efficient. Just use sticky tac if you don't want to use stickers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hughey
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
14 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djfooboo wrote:


now that's actually pretty funny
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Musicalcharities wrote:
You know, I don't know what the whole deal about the "no stickers" argument is. If you don't like them, fine, just don't use them. There's nothing to stop you from using a wet or dry erase marker to fill in the info instead. or photocopy the character sheets to use in the event that you don't want to "ruin" your game.


Well I explain it to you, then. Games have value. You reduce the value when you use the stickers. Games are expensive. Some of use are not sure we are going to like the game, so we buy, try, and sell if it doesn't work for us. It's really not complex, at all.

As far as a workaround. Games that don't require workarounds are superior. I don't need to explain that, too, do I?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
It's going to have stickers though as the game is basically Shadowrun Crossfire with a few tweaks, best solution would be to scan the character cards onto printer card and write on the cards.

To me things that are more of an issue (as it's basically the same game as Shadowrun) ...

> Not shown as 2-6 players (would work better as 2-4 due to downtime in such games)
> 90% of stickers being filler that weren't used in Crossfire
> Crossfire not having a campaign that flowed
> Limited releases for shadowrun crossfire and very little info about them
> The amount of time it takes to get up in levels (esp considering you then get less points in future missions)

Could be a nice game, but as soon as I saw 3-6 players it was a turn off for me, as I normally play with 2 and haven't got shadowrun to the table, as the group I play with are more casual and it needs people who are into it
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
Musicalcharities wrote:
You know, I don't know what the whole deal about the "no stickers" argument is. If you don't like them, fine, just don't use them. There's nothing to stop you from using a wet or dry erase marker to fill in the info instead. or photocopy the character sheets to use in the event that you don't want to "ruin" your game.


Well I explain it to you, then. Games have value. You reduce the value when you use the stickers. Games are expensive. Some of use are not sure we are going to like the game, so we buy, try, and sell if it doesn't work for us. It's really not complex, at all.

As far as a workaround. Games that don't require workarounds are superior. I don't need to explain that, too, do I?


A games value is in the play, not in the resell. That is the new model.
6 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
Musicalcharities wrote:
You know, I don't know what the whole deal about the "no stickers" argument is. If you don't like them, fine, just don't use them. There's nothing to stop you from using a wet or dry erase marker to fill in the info instead. or photocopy the character sheets to use in the event that you don't want to "ruin" your game.


Well I explain it to you, then. Games have value. You reduce the value when you use the stickers. Games are expensive. Some of use are not sure we are going to like the game, so we buy, try, and sell if it doesn't work for us. It's really not complex, at all.

As far as a workaround. Games that don't require workarounds are superior. I don't need to explain that, too, do I?


You are correct. You know what else reduces its value? Playing it. Keep it in its shrink wrap to preserve its value.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I feel that stickers and writing are okay for legacy games. Not okay for campaign games. Legacy games are really only meant to be played once, campaign games can be played many times with different people. You start stickering stuff you lose the ability to ever start a campaign again. Printouts work so much better with campaign games IMO
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Buch
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
While I generally also think stickers in shadowrun are a little intrusive on the components I think that I will have to play the game many many hundreds of times and restart several times to ever run into any problems where i need a sticker already used.

The player boards are laminated so you can remove a sticker. I don't know how may times though.

But even if the sticker weren't stickers you could still run into needing 1 copy more of a specific sticker than supplied in the box. And then we would have to copy it somehow (on cardboard etc) anyway.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OndNinja wrote:
While I generally also think stickers in shadowrun are a little intrusive on the components I think that I will have to play the game many many hundreds of times and restart several times to ever run into any problems where i need a sticker already used.

The player boards are laminated so you can remove a sticker. I don't know how may times though.

But even if the sticker weren't stickers you could still run into needing 1 copy more of a specific sticker than supplied in the box. And then we would have to copy it somehow (on cardboard etc) anyway.



Unless the game is designed to be piece limited.

Of course, then they sell sticker packs that would allow you to have an infinite number of that single sticker... which removes that argument.

I've been plenty fine with copying the sticker's information to high-stick post-it notes or copying the characters to regular old pen and paper.

Given you can swap stickers around at will (before starting a given game) - that also lets you have multiple 'load outs' on the same character depending on the mission or player count.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
OndNinja wrote:
While I generally also think stickers in shadowrun are a little intrusive on the components I think that I will have to play the game many many hundreds of times and restart several times to ever run into any problems where i need a sticker already used.

The player boards are laminated so you can remove a sticker. I don't know how may times though.

But even if the sticker weren't stickers you could still run into needing 1 copy more of a specific sticker than supplied in the box. And then we would have to copy it somehow (on cardboard etc) anyway.



Unless the game is designed to be piece limited.

Of course, then they sell sticker packs that would allow you to have an infinite number of that single sticker... which removes that argument.

I've been plenty fine with copying the sticker's information to high-stick post-it notes or copying the characters to regular old pen and paper.

Given you can swap stickers around at will (before starting a given game) - that also lets you have multiple 'load outs' on the same character depending on the mission or player count.


You know, your idea is pretty genius! It's a D&D game, why not have a printable character sheet that the players fill in on their own? Then when something changes and stickers need to be applied, they just erase old info and write in the new info. Leave a spot for a character illustration too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.