Subject: Opinion on Movement Mechanics (The 12 Towers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Hello BGG community, my name is Scott. I'm currently working on my first project called The 12 Towers. This is a 3rd edition beta game.

Discussion Thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25759543#25759543

I'm posting this thread to get some opinions on a new movement mechanic I'm designing for my game. The game involves a large 12 sided board, that is separated into 13 pieces (12 Tower Regions, and a Central Battleground). Each section of the board has several hexagon spaces for the players miniatures (Referred to as "Keepers").

The 12 Towers is a combat based game, that relies heavily on strategy and placement, whether you're dealing damage, casting spells, or evading incoming attacks. The mechanic i'm designing is called the "Standard Pace".

At the beginning of the game, all Keepers begin with 5 spaces of movement. During a players turn, they can move their keeper between 0 (remaining in place) and 5 spaces on the board. Once you have move 5 spaces, or you are satisfied with your amount of spaces, your movement action ends.

5 spaces is the average amount between the standard pace graph, which is between 0 (Stopped) and +10 (Flight). Having a standard pace of 5 allows you to pass most regions within 2 to 3 turns, as well as be able to stay out of range of another Keepers attacks and spells. There are many factors in the game that can change your pace, as well as others. For example, controlling the Sky Tower grants your Keeper an additional 3 spaces per turn. This effect stays with your Keeper until the Tower is lost or destroyed. This is called a Passive Effect. A temporary effect, caused by Break Effects and spells last between 1 and 3 turns, will cause your pace to be reduced for a period of time. When the effects have been used up or discarded, your pace is returned to normal.

Example Movement Modifiers

STANDARD PACE GRAPH (current edition, 5/10/2017)

0 Spaces (Stopped) Your Keeper is either trapped, stunned, or unable to move during your turn. Effects that cause this usually say that a Keeper must skip their move, or the amount of spaces or pace has been reduced to 0 or below.

1 space (Crawl) Your keeper is slowed to a crawl, by means of a spell or effect. That either allows 1 space per turn, or your Standard pace has been reduced by 4 or greater.

2 – 3 spaces (Very Slow) Similar to above, your Keeper will have a hard time staying out of range of other Keepers, and moving through regions will take several turns.

4 spaces (slow) Having 1 space removed from your standard pace is not common, unless your pace has been increased to 6 – 8 spaces. A slow speed will keep you out of range of most effects, but over time, other Keepers will be able to catch up to you.

5 spaces (normal) 5 Spaces is the standard pace of the game. This allows for easy travel between regions. The standard pace is the average amount of movement modifying effects caused by spells, Break Effects and Passive abilities.

6 – 7 spaces (fast) having a fast pace grants your keeper the advantage of being able to close the gap on most keepers.

8 – 9 spaces (very fast) A very fast pace allows Keepers to clear regions on the board between 1 and 2 turns.

+10 (flight) When your Keeper has the ability of flight, it is usually caused by having multiple effects stacked, such as spells and Tower passive effects. Flight does not grant you any sort of immunity from attacks or damage.

If you have any questions regarding the mechanics or the game, please ask! The more criticism I receive the better, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This movement system sounds fairly standard. You have five movement points per turn, use 'em or lose 'em. Certain bonuses can give you more, but you can never have more than ten movement points in a turn.

The graph actually seems like overkill to me because the idea itself is very easy to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
I figured this was pretty standard. For some reason my players and testers get really confused, so the overkill graph leaves no room for questions and confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Kerkhoff
Colombia
flag msg tools
mb
Your project is looking great.

About the movement mechanism: It seems all clear to me. Maybe it would be nice for flavor to add different words for every `mode`.
For example: Pinned, Crawling, Staggering, Creeping, Strolling, Walking, Striding, Jogging, Running, Sprinting, Flying.

I see that you are working on the rulebook.
Be sure not to mix up `it's` with `its`.
Its a common mistake.
See?!

Also, to me (not a native speaker), Gold Tower sounds odd. I would sooner say Golden Tower but well, never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.