Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've searched the forum, and looked through the rules, however, I cannot find my answer.

What benefit is there to advancing the train to the end of the track?

What is the purpose of the stations past San Francisco? There seem to be enough spaces prior to those to clear your player board.

Forgive me if I'm missing something (which I believe I am). We've played once, and I just wanted experienced voices to make sense of these two things for me.

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are better stations with more points on them beyond San Fran. Also, if you get to the end, you have a chance to move backward and possibly claim another station. This comes in handy for completing those objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
joepunman wrote:
There are better stations with more points on them beyond San Fran. Also, if you get to the end, you have a chance to move backward and possibly claim another station. This comes in handy for completing those objectives.

Objectives makes sense.

Believe it or not I was able to hit San Fran 3 times in our first game, so I guess that fortune made the later stations seem less worthwhile. I also didn't have many (just one) objective that required a station/disk, so I'm sure in future plays I'll be driven by different needs.

Thanks for the input. At least it appears it's simply inexperience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, make sure that you are clear on the difference between stations and delivery cities. The only relationship between stations and delivery cities is that advancing your train to stations further down the track also reduces your delivery transportation costs. Once your train gets around the corner, deliveries will not incur transportation costs because your train is past all of the delivery cities. But players do not DELIVER to stations, either before or beyond San Francisco. Objective cards are clear: some require delivery to San Francisco; others require you to have a disk in one or more stations - not delivery cities.

So, the value of stations past the corner of the board is (as Joe said) that they give an increasing number of points for a decreasing amount of money. The last station on the track gives nine points for just $3, and by reaching the end of the track you immediately get your $3 back. With just a few dollars more in hand, you can then also move your train back to any station that you missed and place a disk there as well. It can be a significant point scoring move near the end of the game.

With this train strategy a person can score as many points as someone with a cowboy strategy could score with their herd deck, or even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Believe it or not I was able to hit San Fran 3 times in our first game, so I guess that fortune made the later stations seem less worthwhile.

How does one do this? I though the rules didn't allow a player to deliver to each city more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there is 35 points for stations after the bend VS 33 points for delivered cities before the bend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Believe it or not I was able to hit San Fran 3 times in our first game, so I guess that fortune made the later stations seem less worthwhile.

How does one do this? I though the rules didn't allow a player to deliver to each city more than once.

You can deliver as many times as you want to Kansas City and San Francisco (see top of page 9 of the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Points. Points are why you want to do it. If you set yourself up just right, max out your engineers and have enough cash on hand, you can drop two discs per delivery towards the end of the game. If you reach the last station and get a chance to automatically go back and fill in a missed station, that might be close to 20 points you can pick up on stations alone in your last run through the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.