Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just placed an order with CSI, apparently my first since 2014. (My group often places orders together, so I guess other people were doing the ordering).

When I got to shipping options, it said with free shipping my games would arrive Monday 5/22, twelve days from now!

FedEx ground was only $3 and change extra, so I went ahead and paid for that, but I was still surprised. I assume it's SmartPost, which I remember taking a while, but not that long.

So has this been the case for a while? I assume the other options were prorated, which is why FedEx was so cheap. I won't hesitate to pay a couple bucks to avoid a 12-day (two Game Night) wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
I just placed an order with CSI, apparently my first since 2014. (My group often places orders together, so I guess other people were doing the ordering).

When I got to shipping options, it said with free shipping my games would arrive Monday 5/22, twelve days from now!

FedEx ground was only $3 and change extra, so I went ahead and paid for that, but I was still surprised. I assume it's SmartPost, which I remember taking a while, but not that long.

So has this been the case for a while? I assume the other options were prorated, which is why FedEx was so cheap. I won't hesitate to pay a couple bucks to avoid a 12-day (two Game Night) wait.

Yeah, smartpost is cheap, but slow. Two options: Fast and expensive, slow and cheap.

When the space-time continuum is malleable, perhaps that truism won't be true no longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So they had a variety of shipping options and you're upset because the free option isn't as fast as the options that cost more? Having to pay more the quicker you want to get a package has always been a thing for as long as I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So they had a variety of shipping options and you're upset because the free option isn't as fast as the options that cost more? Having to pay more the quicker you want to get a package has always been a thing for as long as I remember.

I was actually considering making a note that "this is not a complaint" but I didn't because I thought that was pretty obvious.

But for you, no I'm not upset at all. I'm just curious when the delivery time for free shipping got so long. I remember when it was 2 days (maybe 3, now I forget), and then it became more like 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
When did CSI start using Pony Express for delivery?

close to 3 years ago, see

CoolStuffInc (CSI) switching to FedEx SmartPost for free shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
cheng wrote:

I remember that, and I'd swear that I had a few orders delivered by SmartPost that took about a week, or 5 business days. I certainly don't remember 8 business days. But maybe my memory is faulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
cheng wrote:

I remember that, and I'd swear that I had a few orders delivered by SmartPost that took about a week, or 5 business days. I certainly don't remember 8 business days. But maybe my memory is faulty.

SmartPost is typically +1 day to the delivery option. Meaning the slowness is the choice of UPS/FedEx (they each have a flavor of this). Once at the post office locally it's the next day. Typically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is just an estimate. Usually is much shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:

Yeah, my shipments usually arrive well before the date given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to figure out the reasons why some CSI boxes are shipped FedEx and some SmartPost.

Does it have to do with shipping weight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least with CSI it seems to be really FedEx that makes it so slow. It happened to me already a few times that with Amazon free shipping (w/o Prime) the package was withheld until the last moment and then sent overnight to just arrive at the end of the delivery window. At first, I thought it is the Holiday rush making it hard to ship it on time. But the stuff I just ordered last week seems to follow the same MO. I would guess it is done to have customers sign up for Prime even if it costs Amazon more (overnight shipping versus ground). shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I have yet to figure out the reasons why some CSI boxes are shipped FedEx and some SmartPost.

I thought the free shipping was always SmartPost.

Is that not the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

When you decided that you'd rather not pay for shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
cheng wrote:

When you decided that you'd rather not pay for shipping.

Huh? They've had free shipping for years. It used to be FedEx Ground, IIRC. Then they switched to SmartPost. I don't blame them, with such tight margins, and I like that they prorate the other options if you meet the free shipping threshold. I was just surprised at how long SmartPost takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think smart post has gotten slower over the past few years. This os my subjective observation based on items ive shipped or had shipped to me. I may just be more impatient though, who knows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:

I see you're from NY - I live in NJ. Everything I've ordered from CSI over the last few months (all pre-ordered) has taken 8-11 days to arrive. I know it's the cheapest option (and I default to selecting it), but I honestly cannot figure out what is going on that could possibly take so long. I've had media mail arrive faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I see you're from NY - I live in NJ. Everything I've ordered from CSI over the last few months (all pre-ordered) has taken 8-11 days to arrive. I know it's the cheapest option (and I default to selecting it), but I honestly cannot figure out what is going on that could possibly take so long. I've had media mail arrive faster.

It's got to be the way FedEx prioritizes their packages. From the time the package arrives at my local mail facility to the time I get it, it is usually one day.

So, the USPS is doing their job with expedience. It is the private carrier that has added time to SmartPost. Maybe less truck drivers or pilots or just deciding to downgrade SmartPost times a bit.

I wrote a few posts here over the last few years praising Smartpost. Since then, it has gotten longer. As I said, when I track the package, it doesn't seem to be on the USPS end.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Parker
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart Post also will hand off package to USPS if you live in a rural area. And if it doesn't fit in the rural mail box you have to go pick it up at the Central post office. Takes 2 weeks and I have to go pick it up and wait in a line. Can you tell I am not real happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from CSI a few weeks ago to port Huron Michigan and it took about 3-4 days. This has been my experience for all of my orders from them, I have always thought that to be great. To be honest, although I always take the free option, I have never looked at the estimated date they list but rather wait to see what the tracking number shows once I get one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart Post sucks.

Just saying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

The way Fedex separate their pricing, under 10 lbs Smartpost should be cheaper and over 10 lbs Fedex ground should be cheaper for medium size company like CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: When did you CSI start using Pony Express for delivery?
It must be your location. My CSI orders take one week exactly and have for the last several years. I order 2 or 3 times a year and each time has been estimated at one week.

My fed-ex is usually a day faster then UPS too...so I guess I just live in bizzaro world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

I'm pretty sure the extended time is from the USPS portion of the estimate which is usually longer than it really needs to be.

Normally our orders, if placed Sunday, ship out Monday and arrive by Friday here in California. The bonus is that since it goes to USPS, there's a chance we might get the package on Saturday too.

Just recently had this happen with an order from Mississippi that shipped out on a Wednesday via SmartPost and was in my hands that Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree CSI shipping has become very slow when I order and use the cheaper shipping option. I do think that if I make a larger order $100+ my shipping times do seem faster, but with my orders under $100 it seems to take a long time to get to me with the cheaper shipping options that I select to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedex is a nightmare. Sometimes items arrive in my city, only to leave my city to another state. Comeback, leave, repeat until it's handed off to USPS. I never get anything from them anywhere near on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.