Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is a question asked as a comment to one of the image examples, but I felt it important to ask it here so people can discuss the answer - appreciate your patience and help, Travis!)

So, it seems like there's 6 moments in the game where you are authorized to play a card:

1) To perform its "Action:" text
2) To help pay for a Promotion (by contributing Labor and/or Strength)
3) To help pay for a Culling (by contributing Strength)
4) To help pay for a Building (by contributing Labor)
5) To assemble your attacking forces when you Conquer (Strength)
6) To assemble your defending forces when you Defend (Strength)

Question 1: Just so I am clear on this, a card cannot be played (and have its "After you play this" text trigger) except in the performance of one of those 6 activities? I ask because there may be times where I don't have actions I can/want to perform, can't/won't promote anyone, can't/won't cull cards, and can't/won't attempt to conquer my current location. (These may be rare, but this set of conditions is possible. I may simply have leftover cards that can't be put towards one of those activities but will have text I want to trigger.)

Question 1a: If the above question's answer is "no, it must be played in performance of those 5 activities and no other time", then am I allowed to play extra cards in excess of the cost (such that I could still afford the activity even without those cards being played) for the explicit purpose of having their "after this is played" text trigger? Does the card have to provide the needed resource in the activity's context at all, to be playable?

Question 2: Promotion is the only activity where it is uncertain whether Labor or Strength is required to pay the cost - it depends on the card you wish to Promote. Are there cards in the game which require both resources (Labor AND Strength) to pay for its promotion?

Question 2a: Assuming the answer to 2 is "yes", does a card that provides both Labor and Strength contribute both towards that payment, or only one of its resource types?

ADDENDUM: Looking at the rules closely, the deckbuilding mechanism involved does not force you to discard unplayed cards. So this softens the likelihood that the above situations might happen (you would just save them for a future turn where they would be of more use), but if deck draw-through speed is your goal, it's still a worthy question to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
(This is a question asked as a comment to one of the image examples, but I felt it important to ask it here so people can discuss the answer - appreciate your patience and help, Travis!)

So, it seems like there's 6 moments in the game where you are authorized to play a card:

1) To perform its "Action:" text
2) To help pay for a Promotion (by contributing Labor and/or Strength)
3) To help pay for a Culling (by contributing Strength)
4) To help pay for a Building (by contributing Labor)
5) To assemble your attacking forces when you Conquer (Strength)
6) To assemble your defending forces when you Defend (Strength)

Question 1: Just so I am clear on this, a card cannot be played (and have its "After you play this" text trigger) except in the performance of one of those 6 activities? I ask because there may be times where I don't have actions I can/want to perform, can't/won't promote anyone, can't/won't cull cards, and can't/won't attempt to conquer my current location. (These may be rare, but this set of conditions is possible. I may simply have leftover cards that can't be put towards one of those activities but will have text I want to trigger.)

Question 1a: If the above question's answer is "no, it must be played in performance of those 5 activities and no other time", then am I allowed to play extra cards in excess of the cost (such that I could still afford the activity even without those cards being played) for the explicit purpose of having their "after this is played" text trigger? Does the card have to provide the needed resource in the activity's context at all, to be playable?

Question 2: Promotion is the only activity where it is uncertain whether Labor or Strength is required to pay the cost - it depends on the card you wish to Promote. Are there cards in the game which require both resources (Labor AND Strength) to pay for its promotion?

Question 2a: Assuming the answer to 2 is "yes", does a card that provides both Labor and Strength contribute both towards that payment, or only one of its resource types?

ADDENDUM: Looking at the rules closely, the deckbuilding mechanism involved does not force you to discard unplayed cards. So this softens the likelihood that the above situations might happen (you would just save them for a future turn where they would be of more use), but if deck draw-through speed is your goal, it's still a worthy question to ask.

1.) a card must be played for a specific action. If you wanted, for example, to play a Cathedral Builder for its effect but had nothing to promote, not enough to build, you could take a conquer action rolling 0 dice.

Like I said in the other thread, this is a tight, tight action system, and in two years, the closest thing I have seen to anything approaching a situation like this would be playing a card to Conquer with the hope of inflicting ruin--which is a common play. Otherwise, it has never once came up in our in-house or external testing. Your cards are very valuable. Using them efficiently is the core tenet of the game.

2.) Numerai and Halax can be promoted with any combination of requisite strength and/or labor. There are no cards that require a specific formula of both to promote.

Commonfolk: two of the three chains require labor, one requires strength.
Hordes: all three chains require strength
Sigilborne: all three chains require labor
Halax: their promotion costs are slightly higher but can be a mixture of strength and labor, or just one.
Numerai: same as Halax, but even steeper promotion cost, as there is no elite median unit like the other factions. Just a wanderer or a legend.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
2.) Numerai and Halax can be promoted with any combination of requisite strength and/or labor. There are no cards that require a specific formula of both to promote.

Ok, so take the Harbor Trader, who promotes to a Corsair:

If I have a single card that provides 1 Labor and 2 Strength, is that one card sufficient to pay for the 3 Labor/Strength promotion cost? (In many other games, cards are often restricted to be used for only one of their multiple values).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose one stat to use, not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.