5 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts from a 1st time new player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Im completely new to everything Lovecraft and MoM/ AH/ EH. A friend bought this game and I played it for the first time a few days ago. Really fun and interesting game. I left my friends house thinking I might purchase it for my own family, but ultimately I won't and here is why.

- hard to believe for US$90 you only get 4 scenarios. Yes you can replay them, but the fun for me is not knowing what is going to happen.

- why isn't all the flavor text narrated?

- while the board looks great, the minis... and especially the bases are horrible!

- scenarios are mostly long, and there has been limited support to adding new scenarios to the system without buying full-on expansions.

I hope FFG addresses these issues as they seem to be among the most common complaints against the game. I'll be happy to revisit buying this title in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
i agree it's fairly expensive for what you get. i would personally like to see way more purchasable $2-$5 scenarios that don't require additional costly physical expansions.

i disagree about the flavor text being narrated however. i mean it would be a cool addition, sure, but it would also be a ton of extra work that would slow down release cadence, and possibly also cause prices to be even more expensive.

the minis & bases are definitely horrible. there's some folks around here who have remounted the minis onto different bases that look quite a bit better. it should be easy to find pictures on here if you're looking for reasons to buy this fun game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
This is probably my favorite game out right now and yet I agree with most of the things you say.

I really wish that they would release something close to a 15$ DLC that had 3 new scenarios, because this game really needs that.

The minis and especially bases are definitely horrible compared to what you would expect from a 2016 game that is this expensive.

I also had the thought about narrated flavor text the first time I played it, but after getting the game for myself I feel like it would quickly become annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
- while the board looks great, the minis... and especially the bases are horrible!

Why not just use the tokens instead of the minis then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
tigerwalms wrote:
Lowecore wrote:

Why not just use the tokens instead of the minis then?

Yeah it's kind of sad, they could have made this game a bunch cheaper if they did it gloomhaven style which is how a bunch of people play it anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.