Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got into board gaming last year with Imperial assault, and it ignited my passion for painting like you would not believe.

I have now finished painting all my miniatures and cataloging these on Flickr. As I have seen many questions across various forums about which colours to use, I have taken the time to include painting guides for most.

The guides can be found in the comments of most images and are numbered in the order in which the paints were applied, pretty much everything has a guide. Just click a pic to see. I hope people find these useful and if you have tips to share or would like to ask questions, feel free to post a comment here on on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digimortal187/

Royal Guard - Satisfyingly quick to paint

Probe Droids - A joy to paint, super easy and had fun with lens effects.

Sukky Storm Troopers & Officers - I blundered my way through these, no close ups

E-Web Engineers - Took more time with these, but never undercoat with black

Some Nexus - Started getting creative here

Royal Guard Champion - Some tinkering with subtle highlights, although the photo is too dark to tell.

Chewbacca - Got this painted before I could get hold of the core box.

Gaarkhan - Anything where you can accomplish natural tone shifts through drybrushing is a win in my book, love painting furry critters.

Gideon - Wife desperately wanted a blue coat on a hero, she is also the reason I have painted an Iron Fist Vindicator rather than a Blood Angel one... she likes yellow too.

Dialla First attempt at light saber effects, I have since revisited the glow effects and colour variance on the light saber,

Fenn - First of many brown clothed miniatures.

Jyn - Orange paint is quite thin, be patient and don't obscure too much detail trying to lay down thicker coats.

Mak - Some more glow effects and an excuse to dry brush which sped the process up on this hero.

Trandoshan Hunters - Started paying attention to Sorians Channel here, great stuff.

Luke Skywalker - Made a bit of a mess here, mastering whites is still along way off.

Darth Vader - Was super excited about this, first time with any level of success trying out glow effects.

IG-88 - Simple to paint, but hard tomake pop, glow effects arounf the eyes failed and older metalic paints rescued some of the highlights.

Dengar - Really pleased with how mixing matt and metalic paints can create a semi metalic effect.

Leia Organa - Still no good with whites.

Hired Guns - Pinks could have been subtler I think.

AT-ST - While I put my own spin on it, Sorastro's core colours for the AT-ST made approaching this intimidating mini much easier.

R2-D2 - First mini trying unique blends and some detailed highlights to try and make this iconic mini pop.

C-3PO - Simple mini, getting the eyes right is so key to as there is little detail to focus on.

Biv - I found tackling black skin tough, companies don't tend to market different skin tone ranges so more experimentation is required.

Saska - Nailed the hair colour, forgot how I mixed it

Han Solo - Finally, it took so long for Han to come in to stock.

Boba Fett Spent months waiting for him to come into stock, tricky to not make hime too cartoony with thee bold colours.

General Sorin - Didn't try to hard on this mini, was a little dull and not in the right frame of mind to paint I think.

Kayne Somos My first attempt to make a good go of white storm troopers, I was so glad once I got round to painting the leather shoulder pad.

Tuskan Raiders - Yey! More dry brushing and washes.

Wampas - Is my use of white getting any better?

Repulsor Tank - A soldering iron works great for emulating damage.

HK Assassin Droids HK-47 Anyone? Had to be done, again tried to mix some metalics and matt paints to get the colour i wanted.

MHD-19 - Some more experimental blends here, happy with this, all the little ideas I had seemed to just fall in place.

Verena - Some battle damage and freehand logos add an extra challenge and great detail when it all comes together.

Loku - Really pleased with the varying skin tones representing Mon Calamari

Snow Troopers - Sigh - More white, surely we are done with this colour by now?

General Weiss - 5mm masking tape helped make this AT-ST go faster.

Bantha Rider - My third big miniature to work on, and really easy to make pop with some dry brushing, plenty of browns and washes.

Wing Guard - Tough to get excited about these, but enjoyed playing with different skin tones for practice.

Murne - Finally and exciting mini colourwise, fell in love with teal here.

Agent Blaise - With confidence comes more creativity.

Davith - Best glow yet? Certainly the most consistent when looked at 306.

ISB Infiltrator - Purple, a great colour to work with, really easy and a big leap from most SW colours.

Ugnaught Tinkers - Found these tough going, wish I had mixed up colours a bit more, but rushed these through to treat myself on Lando

Echo Base Troopers - Ok I am a bit happier using whites by now.

Lando Calrissian - More skin tone variances, and just managed to keep that character alive in the face, respect the tash.

Bossk - Yey more unique minis to treat myself on after slogging through the generic troops.

Obi Wan Kenobi - Starting making use of wet pallets here, blending far more subtly than some previous efforts.

Greedo - Wanted to play with the colurs based on movie set photos, loved the transition of colour on the pants.

Inquisitor - I feel the glow effects have come a long way since Dialla.

Wookie Warriors - (Left) Dry brushed & (Right) individually painted hairs, what do you prefer?

Rebel Saboteurs - It's great to play with new skin tones and highlighting ideas, glazes work great as a way to create colour transitioning highlights (green to yellow here).

Alliance Smuggler - Really pleased with the jacket here, did I mention I love teal?

Jet Troopers - Sigh, I need to add flames and smoke, they look like they are dancing.

Elite Jet Troopers - Slightly more evil and dancing.

Dewback Rider - Another big mini for me, spent ages looking at photos before deciding on which shades of brown and green to use, unfortunately my camera has washed alot of the colour out here.

Jabba the Hutt - Don't forget the cut on his tail & Big shout out to Toad Casting for the awesome and cheap basing skulls n bones.

Onar- Adding the scars adds a new level of detail for flesh tones.

Gamorrean Guards - Iconic, got the mouths about right, I'm happy.

Weequay Warriors - Barely remembered these from the films, not that excited so rushed them through a factory line with little scum badges to differentiate.

Alliance Rangers - Only second time I have tried camo effect, not great by good at a distance. Work in Progress.

Luke the Jedi - Found this miniature tough to make it interested.

Shyla - Not really keeping with the theme, but Lightning Sword!

Vinto - Again camera washed out the greens here, enjoyed painting the dual material cape.

Rancor - Wonderful miniature, and fantastic opportunity to play with skin tones and snot effects

Jawa - Wonderful to have this mini, very easy and simple to paint, had fun with the highlights as there wasnt much else to do.

0-0-0 - Simple droide, played with some metallic and corrosion effects + more glows!

Rebel Troopers - Finally bought these, new they were going to be dull to paint, but glad I got them looking half decent. It's amazing how enthusiasm effects your work.

BT-1 - Yey more glow effects on an otherwise understated looking mini.

Hera Syndulla - Great mini! Fun to add the skin tattoos and play with yellos shades again.

CP-01 - A Messy droid, loogs good on the board but applying weathering effects to light paint is an art I have yet to master.

Jawa No idea what this mini is, but it reminded my of Half-Life 2 Striders, I felt it was a newer more experimental unit compared to the AT-ST so used a wet brush to clean up the wash stains and did not deploy any rust or chipping effects. This left the "mini" feeling a bit bland and I wanted to give it it's own identity by using the red glow to distinguish from it's Core box cousin.

Riot Troopers I have yet to do a decent Stormtrooper so I decided I needed to try harder and not simply rush through the pain of painting with white, I just got me an Airbrush which allowed be to go from a grey to white transition across the mini, watered down some dark Wash from Army Painter with Medium to reduce staining not forgetting to clean it up with a wet brush, then layer on very thin coats of pure white where I panted them. Definately my cleanest Stormtroopers to date, and not too dull with some OTT glow effects on the stun batton?

Sentinal Droids Again a miniature I had no point of reference for (I should really watch Rebels and Clone Wars etc. )
Anyway, I decided to mirror my original idea for elites as I did with HK Droids (Gold = Deadlier) Simple mini to paint, try to cast some shadows and you need to think about making the lights pop to make the mini stand out. I should have probably gone with a Blue, Green or Purple eyes on the gold mini to create some contrast.

Clawite Shapeshifters Looked into some google images for this, and based on the fact they seem to deploy individually, I thought I'd just do different skin tones and gloves to mix these up a bit:

Drokatta More Wookie fun and the first Heart of the Empire Hero completed, added some re glow to the Thermal Detonators, although i think this probably means they are about to explode in SW lore, but hey, it adds a bit of much needed colour to the miniature, even if the photo washed the reds out a bit

Finally finished all the paint jobs just in time for christmas and some Imperial Assault App fun

Jarrod Kelvin Lets start low, I did not enjoy painting this guy, the oranges and yellows just never popped in the end and I don't think I was interested in the model enough to make this one a stand out miniature.

Ko-Tun Feralo This hero was a quick paint job for me, I airbrushed some skine tones on, touched up the face and was done real, was nice to do flesh tones on a more unusual head structure.

Maul Great fun to pick out the tattoo designs, and add some sabre glow.

Emperor Palpatine I was determined to make sure such an important character was not simply a dull black mini on the table, I wanted to add force lightning effects, and decided to add some colour to the cloak to mirror some of the lighting seen on the deathstar in Return of the Jedo.

Ahsoka Tano Another cartoon character, and a pain to work out how to paint the back without additional reference material. Nice mini, I went for a Yellow & Yellow/Green lightsaber, however the mix appears too similar to tell in the end.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks very much for sharing this great gallery!
The list of paints used is super useful too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing your pictures and paint choices. Your minis are excellent and I have often used them as inspiration for mine.

I wish my first Stormtroopers were as good as yours...

The only thing I'm not a big fan of are the solid-colored lightsabers (like Obi-Wan's and Diala's). Conversely, Vader's looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Thank you for sharing your pictures and paint choices. Your minis are excellent and I have often used them as inspiration for mine.

I wish my first Stormtroopers were as good as yours...

The only thing I'm not a big fan of are the solid-colored lightsabers (like Obi-Wan's and Diala's). Conversely, Vader's looks awesome.

Thanks, personally I am a fan of this effect used by Matthew: http://www.oldenhammer.com/p/star-wars-imperial-assault-mini...

I have given it a go, but messed up real bad, so I am sticking with the lighter strips on each side of the saber for now until I am brave enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn, this is really impressive. They are all really good, but a few of them are world class! Obi Wan's robes and the Inquisitor light saber, for instance. Unreal lighting effects...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! These look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very well done!!!

You made great progress if one compares Diala to Obi Wan and the Gamorrean Guards. Since when do you paint IA?

I also like your elite storm-trooper colors and quite a few of your other elite color choices.

Personally, I never started on the huge minis. It seemed much too much work for the very little use they see in campaign play and I don't enjoy painting machines so much. Yet I'm quite intrigued with painting the Rancor... is he appearing more often in the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
I started in Febuary last year. I have also painted well over 100 Zombicide minis this year which was quite challenging.

As for the rancor, I have no idea but I doubt it is a fequent visitor of campaigns if other large expensive units are anything to go by.

Ironically despite painting all this and building a campaign manager for the game. I have only played 3 campaigns, none of which are Hoth, Bespin or Jabba's realm. The biggest crime Imperial Assault has made is the lack of appearances from iconic characters throughout.

So I plan to play some house rules to address that and start playing skirmish games with friends to put together ridiculous lists to counter that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rancor has the same problem as all the massive figures - they cannot enter indoor areas and they are relatively expensive. So, for the IP, the problem is that he doesn't want to use it in the early missions of a campaign (since he needs 3-4 rounds worth of threat to deploy it), and on a lot of maps it can only move in a limited area or not enter at all; for example, the entirety of the Bespin Gambit campaign is indoors.

Personally, I have used the AT-ST once in a Core campaign, the Hoth tank twice in a Hoth campaign, and the Bantha once in a side mission (just for fun).

On topic, I actually much prefer your painting style to Matthew's, Peter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt even know half of the miniatures... very good technique evolution, next step os stopping washing the minis entirely and focus on spot shading instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any good guides or intros to the technique and how this changes the end effect vs traditional washing?

I tend to build the highlights on the vertical facing surfaces so no remanents of the earlier applied wash exists, so courious to see if this improves the effect or saves time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
So after hammering away at my Zombicide Black Plague minis, I dicided to purchase and finish off my Imperial Assault collection, I have finally painted every miniature for Imperial Assault available as of today I'll look to add in the paint guides shortly for those interested.

Here are the new additions in chronological order:

Jawa

0-0-0

Rebel Troopers

BT-1

Hera Syndulla

CP-01

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aaaah, a new expansion brings freshly painted minis, Heart of the Empire is out and I have been enjoying plowing through the bulk troops that come in the main box this last week.

Jawa No idea what this mini is, but it reminded my of Half-Life 2 Striders, I felt it was a newer more experimental unit compared to the AT-ST so used a wet brush to clean up the wash stains and did not deploy any rust or chipping effects. This left the "mini" feeling a bit bland and I wanted to give it it's own identity by using the red glow to distinguish from it's Core box cousin.

Riot Troopers I have yet to do a decent Stormtrooper so I decided I needed to try harder and not simply rush through the pain of painting with white, I just got me an Airbrush which allowed be to go from a grey to white transition across the mini, watered down some dark Wash from Army Painter with Medium to reduce staining not forgetting to clean it up with a wet brush, then layer on very thin coats of pure white where I panted them. Definately my cleanest Stormtroopers to date, and not too dull with some OTT glow effects on the stun batton?

Sentinal Droids Again a miniature I had no point of reference for (I should really watch Rebels and Clone Wars etc. )
Anyway, I decided to mirror my original idea for elites as I did with HK Droids (Gold = Deadlier) Simple mini to paint, try to cast some shadows and you need to think about the lights to make the mini stand out. I should have probably gone with a Blue, Green or Purple eyes on the gold mini to create some contrast.

Paint guides to be added soon, I am now working abroad for a week and will try to get some Clawdites painted in terrible hotel lighting, i'll let you see how that pans out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick updated, making some slow progress through heart of teh Empire

Clawite Shapeshifters Looked into some google images for this, and based on the fact they seem to deploy individually, I thought I'd just do different skin tones and gloves to mix these up a bit:

Drokatta More Wookie fun and the first Heart of the Empire Hero completed, added some re glow to the Thermal Detonators, although i think this probably means they are about to explode in SW lore, but hey, it adds a bit of much needed colour to the miniature, even if the photo washed the reds out a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Finally finished all the paint jobs just in time for christmas and some Imperial Assault App fun

Jarrod Kelvin Lets start low, I did not enjoy painting this guy, the oranges and yellows just never popped in the end and I don't think I was interested in the model enough to make this one a stand out miniature.

Ko-Tun Feralo This hero was a quick paint job for me, I airbrushed some skine tones on, touched up the face and was done real, was nice to do flesh tones on a more unusual head structure.

Maul Great fun to pick out the tattoo designs, and add some sabre glow.

Emperor Palpatine I was determined to make sure such an important character was not simply a dull black mini on the table, I wanted to add force lightning effects, and decided to add some colour to the cloak to mirror some of the lighting seen on the deathstar in Return of the Jedo.

Ahsoka Tano Another cartoon character, and a pain to work out how to paint the back without additional reference material. Nice mini, I went for a Yellow & Yellow/Green lightsaber, however the mix appears too similar to tell in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I just wanted to post my appreciation and admiration for your work. I went to your flickr account and was amazed by the content.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Dave really appreiate the kind comments, it’s nice to have a project complete... for now at least. I need to stop being lazy with colour guides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Kerr
Ireland
Ulster
flag msg tools
mbmb
Digimortal wrote:
Thanks Dave really appreiate the kind comments, it’s nice to have a project complete... for now at least. I need to stop being lazy with colour guides.

The colour guides are great, so helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Colour guides? Where could I find those?
Digimortal wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
cdndave wrote:
Colour guides? Where could I find those?
Digimortal wrote:

When you click a thumbnail it will take you to the Flickr instance of the photo, in the description I have put numbered paint guides with some application context for those that want to know what paints I used in which order.

I'd say these are about 70-80% complete, newer minis pending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are the gift that keeps on giving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.