Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to sell my copy because my hype for the game had long since died the past year. I was able to sell it for a decent price, but after the shipping (I do free shipping), ebay fee and paypal fee... wow. Spent $62.67 USD. The dang box is too big to fit in the large flat rate box or even the regional boxes.

So, yeah... Expect to pay that much and plan your price point accordingly. If you've been thinking of selling your copy, do it soon while the hype for it is still high before the mass retail copies release. I'm still keeping the stretch goals and the Darkroot Basin expansion, in the off chance I decide to buy the base game again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: If you've been thinking about selling your copy, do it NOW. Because wow...
One hand clap.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was, and still am, interested in purchasing a kickstarter copy. The inflated prices are far too high right now though. There's a fair amount of criticism against the game, so I imagine plenty of kickstarter copies will start to hit the market once people get to try the game. With over $5 million in kickstarter sales and the upcoming retail release, I expect prices to go down considerably. I'm just hoping others in my position are smart and hold off so that the inflated prices can drop to a reasonable level. I was willing to pay the full kickstarter price for the game, but I won't pay above it. I've never charged above retail for a game even if it was a kickstarter or out of print game, but right now some prices are 3-5x the kickstarter price, which is ridiculous.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
I was, and still am, interested in purchasing a kickstarter copy. The inflated prices are far too high right now though. There's a fair amount of criticism against the game, so I imagine plenty of kickstarter copies will start to hit the market once people get to try the game. With over $5 million in kickstarter sales and the upcoming retail release, I expect prices to go down considerably. I'm just hoping others in my position are smart and hold off so that the inflated prices can drop to a reasonable level. I was willing to pay the full kickstarter price for the game, but I won't pay above it. I've never charged above retail for a game even if it was a kickstarter or out of print game, but right now some prices are 3-5x the kickstarter price, which is ridiculous.


That's partly why I'm keeping the stretch goals and Darkroot Basin expansion. When my Dark Souls addiction suddenly kicks full force again and I re-buy the base game, which just happens to be cheaper now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H
msg tools
Life Experience Tip: Just wait.

Seriously. It's a board game. There is zero point paying a highly inflated premium now because you don't want to wait a month or two. You'll get to December, having played the game a handful of times, and secretly kick yourself that you paid three times the price for the privilege.

The game is V1, doesn't even have the extra bits yet, has errors and typos in it, and – to be really honest – isn't exactly getting stellar reviews. Just wait.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
Life Experience Tip: Just wait.

Seriously. It's a board game. There is zero point paying a highly inflated premium now because you don't want to wait a month or two. You'll get to December, having played the game a handful of times, and secretly kick yourself that you paid three times the price for the privilege.

The game is V1, doesn't even have the extra bits yet, has errors and typos in it, and – to be really honest – isn't exactly getting stellar reviews. Just wait.


A big reason people buy into KS and inflated prices in hopes of getting it early is probably because they're worried of exclusives. I don't believe there is any difference between the KS version and the regular retail version, aside from maybe the batch number if for any reason the game needs to be returned or requires a piece to make things easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold my pledge for cheap to someone who is genuinely can't-stand-it, jumping-out-of-his-pants excited to get his hands on this game.

Made 25 bucks, got out of an investment that wasn't for me, and put a big smile on someone's face.

*brushes off hands and heads down the road*
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacDonald
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
Life Experience Tip: Just wait.

Seriously. It's a board game. There is zero point paying a highly inflated premium now because you don't want to wait a month or two. You'll get to December, having played the game a handful of times, and secretly kick yourself that you paid three times the price for the privilege.

The game is V1, doesn't even have the extra bits yet, has errors and typos in it, and – to be really honest – isn't exactly getting stellar reviews. Just wait.


A big reason people buy into KS and inflated prices in hopes of getting it early is probably because they're worried of exclusives. I don't believe there is any difference between the KS version and the regular retail version, aside from maybe the batch number if for any reason the game needs to be returned or requires a piece to make things easier.


On reason I pledged was it did seem like a good deal because of ALL the stretch goals included - I looked at them again yesterday and holy crap, so many! I hope they deliver on all of those.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Wood
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
mikii08 wrote:
StarryAqua wrote:
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
Life Experience Tip: Just wait.

Seriously. It's a board game. There is zero point paying a highly inflated premium now because you don't want to wait a month or two. You'll get to December, having played the game a handful of times, and secretly kick yourself that you paid three times the price for the privilege.

The game is V1, doesn't even have the extra bits yet, has errors and typos in it, and – to be really honest – isn't exactly getting stellar reviews. Just wait.


A big reason people buy into KS and inflated prices in hopes of getting it early is probably because they're worried of exclusives. I don't believe there is any difference between the KS version and the regular retail version, aside from maybe the batch number if for any reason the game needs to be returned or requires a piece to make things easier.


On reason I pledged was it did seem like a good deal because of ALL the stretch goals included - I looked at them again yesterday and holy crap, so many! I hope they deliver on all of those.


Yeah, there are a TON of kickstarter stretch goals that are going to make it worth it in value. There is also the kickstarter-only Solaire miniature.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
djwyattwood wrote:
mikii08 wrote:
StarryAqua wrote:
P_Pigly_Hogswine wrote:
Life Experience Tip: Just wait.

Seriously. It's a board game. There is zero point paying a highly inflated premium now because you don't want to wait a month or two. You'll get to December, having played the game a handful of times, and secretly kick yourself that you paid three times the price for the privilege.

The game is V1, doesn't even have the extra bits yet, has errors and typos in it, and – to be really honest – isn't exactly getting stellar reviews. Just wait.


A big reason people buy into KS and inflated prices in hopes of getting it early is probably because they're worried of exclusives. I don't believe there is any difference between the KS version and the regular retail version, aside from maybe the batch number if for any reason the game needs to be returned or requires a piece to make things easier.


On reason I pledged was it did seem like a good deal because of ALL the stretch goals included - I looked at them again yesterday and holy crap, so many! I hope they deliver on all of those.


Yeah, there are a TON of kickstarter stretch goals that are going to make it worth it in value. There is also the kickstarter-only Solaire miniature.


That's what gets me about people complaining about a kickstarter price. Yes, often times you can buy the game for cheaper when it gets released for normal retail. But the thing is that you only get the base game that way. In the case of Dark Souls, we're getting 6 more characters (probably be a $15-20 expansion), the core game expansion ($30?) Iron Keep expansion (~$45 which is how much the Darkroot keep expansion cost), 10 invaders ($20?), 10 summons ($20?), 10 armor set characters ($20?), and the exclusive Solaire mini.

So, yes you spent $100 for the game, same as retail. You get it a few weeks early, which is okay if you're into the hype. And, since many people tend for get this, you will get 6 expansions (which could cost anywhere from $100-$150 realistically) for free. But, hey, if you'd rather spend $25 less for the core game, more power to you.

Granted, some kickstarters don't have this much value attached to them, but when they do, I have to wonder why people nickel and dime that they can get the core game a little cheaper when they're likely saving a ton of money in freebies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say MOST kickstarters do not come with this amount of add on exclusive content, which is why people such as myself complain about the price. We receive very little in return for supporting the game while the company cuts out two middle men- retail and distribution- and makes substantially more profit. For this reason, we've seen a surplus of companies using kickstarter as a means to go to market, including companies that wouldn't have needed to use kickstarter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Griffinman01 wrote:
That's what gets me about people complaining about a kickstarter price. Yes, often times you can buy the game for cheaper when it gets released for normal retail. But the thing is that you only get the base game that way. In the case of Dark Souls, we're getting 6 more characters (probably be a $15-20 expansion), the core game expansion ($30?) Iron Keep expansion (~$45 which is how much the Darkroot keep expansion cost), 10 invaders ($20?), 10 summons ($20?), 10 armor set characters ($20?), and the exclusive Solaire mini.

It will be interesting to see the OLGS prices in fall/winter and compare to the total cost of backing the Kickstarter, with the 2 wave shipping cost. KS will be better but by how much?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
imtylerdurden wrote:
I would say MOST kickstarters do not come with this amount of add on exclusive content, which is why people such as myself complain about the price. We receive very little in return for supporting the game while the company cuts out two middle men- retail and distribution- and makes substantially more profit. For this reason, we've seen a surplus of companies using kickstarter as a means to go to market, including companies that wouldn't have needed to use kickstarter.


I guess your mileage may vary, but most (if not all) kickstarters I backed had some significant savings associated with it or plenty of exclusive or free content:

Dark Souls: $100-150 of free content
Mega Man Board game: tons of exclusive content and free content
Mega Man Pixel Tactics: 3 sets for the price of 2 ($35 total vs $75 MSRP or roughly $55 online) and a free promo pack
Exploding Kittens: $50 worth of sets for $35
Steampunk Rally: exclusive transparent dice and metal cogs (rather than basic dice and cardboard tokens) Also note there are 108 dice in this game
MERCs Recon: Ton of exclusive content and 3 $30 expansions for free
Mistborn House War: this hasn't come out yet but the game is cheaper than MSRP by around $10-15 and free promos
Evolution Flight: exclusive promos (including a design contest)
Evolution Climate: exclusive promos (same design contest as flight), exclusive scenario cards, exclusive plant expansion
Overlords of Infamy: three exclusive promos (two which were designed by backers)

Again, I'm sure there are plenty of terrible ones which you have to be careful with, but there's plenty of good ones. I would definitely put Dark Souls in the 'great' category because the free content seems to virtually double the content in the base game. Whether or not the game's for you is for you to decide, but coming here and bitching about the value of it seems ludicrous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, SFG was really generous with the amount of stretch goals you get for free. Even though I spent quite a bit shipping the base game out, the amount of money I lost from the total I spent backing this game is minimal when taking into consideration the extra free content we're getting down the road. And if I were ever to re-buy the base game for the regular retail price, it would be like I pledged the game for about $50 cheaper.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
Mandor wrote:
Griffinman01 wrote:
That's what gets me about people complaining about a kickstarter price. Yes, often times you can buy the game for cheaper when it gets released for normal retail. But the thing is that you only get the base game that way. In the case of Dark Souls, we're getting 6 more characters (probably be a $15-20 expansion), the core game expansion ($30?) Iron Keep expansion (~$45 which is how much the Darkroot keep expansion cost), 10 invaders ($20?), 10 summons ($20?), 10 armor set characters ($20?), and the exclusive Solaire mini.

It will be interesting to see the OLGS prices in fall/winter and compare to the total cost of backing the Kickstarter, with the 2 wave shipping cost. KS will be better but by how much?


It cost me I think $20 for the base game for shipping to the US. I doubt it'll be too much more than that for wave 2 (assuming we get charge for it as there hasn't been any confirmation of that, at least not that I've seen). Even if we do get charged, that's still a huge deal on the extras considering I'm sure I lowballed the summon/invaders/armor sets by $5-10. I'd have to guess based on similar content for other games, it'll probably be closer to $30-40 for those ($3-4 per mini seems about right). I'm pretty sure the core expansion and the iron keep ones will be the same as the Darkroot expansion (£35 equates to roughly $45 I think) though the core expansion might be cheaper since much of it is cosmetic stuff like grave, bonfire, and barrel minis as opposed to a bunch of extra grunts (though it does come with 6). The player character set could also be more expensive since it has to be a bigger box due to the size of the 6 boards included, plus it'll come with starter gear cards, other class treasure and the advanced class treasures for each.

Like I said, most of the prices I speculated above seem low so these could actually end up being closer to $200 ($30 for the Player character set, $45 for the core expansion, $45 for Irone keep, and $30 each for the Invaders/summon/armor sets. Total= $210 on the higher end). In any case, even if shipping for both waves ends up being $50 total for US backers. That's still $150 for the base game ($100 MSRP ~$70 online)and ~$200 (possibly $150 online) for the expansions. So at worst you're looking at getting ~$70-$100 worth of savings if you backed versus buying at retail.

All I know is that I've enjoyed the game so far and can't wait to not only get the free expansions but also get the other stuff I bought (Darkroot basin, the extra tiles, and a pair of the mega bosses). Ive spent far more money in worse ways so I'm not complaining.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Griffinman01 wrote:
Mandor wrote:
Griffinman01 wrote:
That's what gets me about people complaining about a kickstarter price. Yes, often times you can buy the game for cheaper when it gets released for normal retail. But the thing is that you only get the base game that way. In the case of Dark Souls, we're getting 6 more characters (probably be a $15-20 expansion), the core game expansion ($30?) Iron Keep expansion (~$45 which is how much the Darkroot keep expansion cost), 10 invaders ($20?), 10 summons ($20?), 10 armor set characters ($20?), and the exclusive Solaire mini.

It will be interesting to see the OLGS prices in fall/winter and compare to the total cost of backing the Kickstarter, with the 2 wave shipping cost. KS will be better but by how much?


It cost me I think $20 for the base game for shipping to the US. I doubt it'll be too much more than that for wave 2 (assuming we get charge for it as there hasn't been any confirmation of that, at least not that I've seen). Even if we do get charged, that's still a huge deal on the extras considering I'm sure I lowballed the summon/invaders/armor sets by $5-10. I'd have to guess based on similar content for other games, it'll probably be closer to $30-40 for those ($3-4 per mini seems about right). I'm pretty sure the core expansion and the iron keep ones will be the same as the Darkroot expansion (£35 equates to roughly $45 I think) though the core expansion might be cheaper since much of it is cosmetic stuff like grave, bonfire, and barrel minis as opposed to a bunch of extra grunts (though it does come with 6). The player character set could also be more expensive since it has to be a bigger box due to the size of the 6 boards included, plus it'll come with starter gear cards, other class treasure and the advanced class treasures for each.

Like I said, most of the prices I speculated above seem low so these could actually end up being closer to $200 ($30 for the Player character set, $45 for the core expansion, $45 for Irone keep, and $30 each for the Invaders/summon/armor sets. Total= $210 on the higher end). In any case, even if shipping for both waves ends up being $50 total for US backers. That's still $150 for the base game ($100 MSRP ~$70 online)and ~$200 (possibly $150 online) for the expansions. So at worst you're looking at getting ~$70-$100 worth of savings if you backed versus buying at retail.

All I know is that I've enjoyed the game so far and can't wait to not only get the free expansions but also get the other stuff I bought (Darkroot basin, the extra tiles, and a pair of the mega bosses). Ive spent far more money in worse ways so I'm not complaining.


I'm getting a retailer pledge copy so my math is different. Looks like the pledge cost $115 when the KS ended (using historical currency conversion) and the shipping was $30 (easy to find this due to all the complaints about the doubled shipping cost for 2 waves).

The £80 core game sold for $90 at CSI (retail $120). Using that, I would guess a pledge worth £180 (according to the KS graphic) would sell for about $202 (retail $270) - minus a bit for you CSI discount level. So the KS backer get a about a $50 reduction from OLGS pricing. The KS backer is getting a 48% discount off retail while the OLGS buyer is getting 25% off.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
I somehow didn't see that £180 value mention the first time...

So, yeah, about $150 retail price for the extras is pretty close to what I estimated. And, based on your math, we're getting it for an extra ~25% off compared to online. So we're saving about $60-$70 through the kickstarter compared to places like coolstuff and about $120-150 compared to basic retail.

Yeah, not a bad deal at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lynch
msg tools
mb
I got two copies. I am not opposed to selling the other. Honestly, I expect these miniatures to be the long term selling point. I think they look great and, even if board gamers don't like it, souls fans tend to be a dedicated lot. I'm one of them. But between this, Conan, and IA, only Conan seems to have any real excitement at my table at this time.

I guess I will sell off Imperial Assault...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.