Subject: Piecepack--a great tool for game design inspiration! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I got the piecepack three or four days ago, and I already have several quality design ideas as a result.

A pretty well filled out two player push your luck bluffing game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nn5x1bmiaoavab/CLASSY%20TOWERS.do... [PLEASE PLAYTEST PLEASE]

A method for setting out a randomized "map" with coherent "regions" (groups of adjacent same-suited tiles that don't necessarily include all six of that color) that can be different every time for some kind of map-movement game

A method for creating maze/dungeons usnig two layers of tiles for a dungeon delve type game

A suggestive circular setup of tile stacks with pawns moving around them using dice rolls, with darkest tiles at bottom of circle and lightest at top. Vaguely expect this to be a weird moody arty game about the cycle of time and the acquisition of misery

A method for creating a "mountain" (nine stacks of tiles arranged in a certain ways" for players to "mine" and "prospect" in, including a method (related to the mapmaking method above) for making the presence of resource "streaks" in the mountain substantial enough to make for a meaningful prospecting mechanic, probably with hidden information as different players come to know different things about different columns in the mountain.

I mean, except for the first one these are all pretty unsubstantiated, nevertheless, they're substantial and plausible! And it's just been three days. This is gold folks, gold I tell you!

Piecepack needs to be a bigger thing. Why is it not a bigger thing? Even when it was a bigger thing, it seems not to have been as big a thing as it should have been. This is genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Re: Piecepack--a great tool for game design inspiration?
And my kid just came up with what seems to me like an incredibly viable start for a game design. One hero, six villains, six citizens, six power tokens, all on a small grid map. Hero moves like a rook. Villains move like kings. Villains can collect power tokens to gain the power to slide tiles--if they manage to slide a chunk away from the rest of the map, all citizens on that chunk die. They can also directly kill the citizens. Hero has to eliminate the villains to win. Villains have to eliminate the citizens to win.

I mean. Right? That's going to work, I'm almost certain, after playtesting etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Piecepack--a great tool for game design inspiration?
Speusippus wrote:
Piecepack needs to be a bigger thing. Why is it not a bigger thing?
For one thing, you could change your thread title to:
"Piecepack--a great tool for game design inspiration!"

More seriously? I think most gamers are attracted to the custom look-and-feel that (is part of what) makes any given boardgame unique. Those of us who are more immune to that are really in the minority. But yes, for designers, its a really good tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
//For one thing, you could change your thread title to:
"Piecepack--a great tool for game design inspiration!" //

Good point honestly. I've just done so.

//More seriously? I think most gamers are attracted to the custom look-and-feel that (is part of what) makes any given boardgame unique. Those of us who are more immune to that are really in the minority. But yes, for designers, its a really good tool.//

Yup. I've seen Vasel's review of IBG and his big complaint is how if you're playing a game about frogs, your pieces don't look like frogs. This blows my mind. I have a lot of respect for his opinions about games, actually, that was a wtf moment for me. To me it's like "wait, does he even know what a board game _is_? Does he even know what he's doing when he plays a board game??"

But I know, I understand, exactly as you say, people like a more-than-merely-abstract connection to the pieces they're playing with. That's okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls