Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am posting this again as I think it got missed in one of my other posts. Paris is friendly contested for the AP. However, every hex adjacent to Paris is CP controlled so the French units in Paris are out of supply. It is the start of a new turn. Where can French reinforcements be placed keeping in mind that the hexes directly west and south of Paris are CP occupied and controlled.
Thank you again for all your prompt replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By reinforcements, are you referring to 6.2.1 Manpower Deployment? If so, it states;

"If Paris or Koblenz is under enemy control, blocks may deploy
in any hex directly to the south or west (of Paris) for French, or
south or north (of Koblenz) for the CP"

In your example Paris is not under enemy control, merely contested. Therefore the SPs will be deployed in Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
SLouis39 wrote:
Paris is friendly contested for the AP. However, every hex adjacent to Paris is CP controlled so the French units in Paris are out of supply. It is the start of a new turn.

I'm curious to know, did this happen in a game?

My first thought was this situation, Paris surrounded at the end of turn (heading into the scoring phase), should end most games in a Domination Victory.

I'm thinking out loud.. The only turn this could possibly happen (and I think it would take a perfect storm) would be the end of Turn 3. There's too much real estate to cover turns 1-2 and 4-9 would end in a Domination Victory. Thus at the end of Turn 3 if the surrounding of Paris doesn't trigger a Domination Victory (by points) you'd need a ruling on the placement of French SPs during the next Production Phase.

Keeping in mind, in the situation you describe CP trenches are going up around Paris! shake I tip my hat to any Allied player who would keep going as the Domination Victory would likely be trigger at the end of the next turn anyway.

So, to answer your question, the placement of SPs, should Paris not be contested and not have a supply line, would be in the closest friendly controlled hex to the south or west. Thus if hexes B07 and C08 are CP controlled, deployment would occur in B08 or C09.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
By reinforcements, are you referring to 6.2.1 Manpower Deployment? If so, it states;

"If Paris or Koblenz is under enemy control, blocks may deploy
in any hex directly to the south or west (of Paris) for French, or
south or north (of Koblenz) for the CP"

In your example Paris is not under enemy control, merely contested. Therefore the SPs will be deployed in Paris.

Bob you are correct by RAW. And humble apologies to all as this never occurred in play testing where it didn't end a game. It yet may never occur (Paris without a supply line at the start of a production phase and not ending the game) but if it does, see my other reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up placing French reinforcements in Paris even though it was out of supply. You answered:

So, to answer your question, the placement of SPs, should Paris not be contested and not have a supply line, would be in the closest friendly controlled hex to the south or west. Thus if hexes B07 and C08 are CP controlled, deployment would occur in B08 or C09.

After reading the above reply it sounds like you can keep going south or west until there is a hex not controlled by the CP and place French reinforcements in those hexes. This is contrary to your answer to my question in my "Placement of French Reinforcements" thread where you said that directly meant adjacent to Paris.

In that thread I also quoted rule 6.2.1 and asked how could there even be a situation of placing reinforcements elsewhere when Paris is enemy controlled because control of Paris by the CP at the end of any AP phase results in a decisive victory as indicated in the Playbook. I am referring to the victory conditions for the Grand Campaign game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SLouis39 wrote:
This is contrary to your answer to my question in my "Placement of French Reinforcements" thread where you said that directly meant adjacent to Paris.

I had assumed in the question that the hexes directly adjacent were not CP controlled.

In your game Paris was surrounded at the end of a turn and it did not trigger an Domination Victory. Tell us more about this game! What was the situation? I am excited to hear about it. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurt, thank you for your patience and promptness in answering my questions. My friend and I have been wargamers for over 40 years going way back to the days of Avalon Hill. We are both very impressed by the innovative rules and concepts in FoD. At our age we are way past the monster games so playability is definitely preferred.

This is our first playing of the game and as usual for us we jumped right in to the campaign scenario or as you call it, The Grand Campaign.
I am playing the AP and in hindsight was probably too aggressive conducting some counterattacks that did not go all that well. By the end of turn 3, Paris was surrounded. On turn 4 I gained the initiative spending EP so I attacked and gained control of D07 opening up a supply line to Paris. He attacked Paris in his phase and although my die rolls were halved due to being out of supply I had the benefit of trench warfare so we both suffered about the same number of casualties.

Up north the British are surrounded in Dunkirk and Calais but because I had the initiative I landed the Brit reinforcements and attacked in Dunkirk and had reasonable success. I now outnumber him about 3-1 so it will be interesting to see if the Brits can finally breakout.

As I previously indicated, although Paris was cutoff the CP never controlled it as it has been an AP controlled contested hex so the victory condition for controlling Paris was never triggered.

We are looking forward to our second playing and I would like to try the AP again. My strategy will be to run like hell, ha ha.

Regardless, congratulations on your design of this game. You have added new life to block games with the larger strength points which means there really is FOW. The economic/production procedures are very interesting and will make each playing different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought that with Paris contested the Central player may have been doing well enough to exceed the Allies VP by 6 or more thus ending the game. If that was not the case then it must have been an exciting game from the start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.