United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mbmbmbmbmb
New player, I have logged a few plays, and I have been acquiring some of the lieutenant packs for the base game. Is there any reason I should avoid grabbing packs in a language I don't speak?

Do any of the cards come into play with road to legend? We will probably never play with an overlord.

I believe I already accidentally grabbed Alric in Italian, lol. I mean if we are mainly using the miniature and the actual card is with the base game, is there any reason not to, say, grab Splig in some other language just to get the mini?

Most of the behavior is simulated by the app, no? Only thing I see in Zachareth that just arrived today other than the mini that I will be using is possibly the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
There are a few things:

1: There are plot cards that don't affect RtL, so you can ignore these.

2: There are Agent cards, which are different to the Lt. cards. If you tell RtL you have the pack the figure may appears as an agent. The work around is to either not tell RtL you have it or translate the back of the card.

3: Some packs are also hero packs (can be used as a hero), in which case you probably want a language you understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah thank you. Agent cards. I will be trying to find a translation for alric, and leaving a printout in the box. I feel silly now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you intend to play Road to Legend solely (like I do) then I would advise not to get any other lieutenant packs. Instead of buying 3 lieutenant packs you are better off buying a small box expansion like The Trollfens or Mists of Bilehall or the Chain that Rust.

The latter two expansions don't give you new heroes but 3 new monster types and you will see that the game will spawn monsters from these expansions in your Kindred Fire quests. In my first quest I encountered Marrow Priests, Ynfernael Hulks and Bone Horrors, all monsters from expansions I just bought. I am glad to see some variety because the small monster pool from the base game would get stale for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice. We ended up playing Kindred Fire and it used a lieutenant that we don't have. We just grabbed a mini from dark souls. It worked just fine for us. The main reason I bought lieutenant packs is because I hated the ideas of big bosses as tokens. I will likely never buy lieutenant packs again. They seem like a waste as the only thing it actually adds to the game for RtL is the peril. Misc minis will work for us in the future. We will be buying actual expansions next time.

We were thinking about getting the full set of Lieutenants with Nerekhall, but I think you are right and the better option may be trollfens or Chain that Rust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to necro my own thread, but would it be more advisable to get hero monster packs for the app?

I feel like most of the expansion content wouldn't get used all too much. Just from looking trollfens has 2 heroes and 2 monster groups. Maybe the side-quests that unlock in the game make it more worth it?The hero monster packs though seem to have 4 heroes and 3 monster groups each.

Does it pull everything from the expansion except the obvious overlord, and travel stuff? I can see it may be debatable which is more worth the money. I have some thinking to do on what I may get next seeing that Nerekhall the most obvious choice is out of stock or overpriced everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Don't forget classes, items, delve stages, luietenants and tiles. Both boxed expansions and h&m packs add one side quest. Also worth noting that I think there has been more effort put into the activations for core/expansion monsters (more interesting, less mistakes).

Classes alone make the small boxes great in my opinion.

Edit: also conditions, which unlock addition activations for the monsters you have (so elementals get a fire activation with burning condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you think the small boxes are better than the h&m packs? Good to know. They are priced pretty similarly.

Any suggestions on which small box to go with first. I managed to snag a copy of nerekhall at slightly below list price somehow. I want to keep expanding though. Just trying to get the best bang for buck. I may just wait until I have enough for a small box and h&m pack and see which seems to add to the experience most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
ogoctopus wrote:
So you think the small boxes are better than the h&m packs? Good to know. They are priced pretty similarly.

Any suggestions on which small box to go with first. I managed to snag a copy of nerekhall at slightly below list price somehow. I want to keep expanding though. Just trying to get the best bang for buck. I may just wait until I have enough for a small box and h&m pack and see which seems to add to the experience most.

I would get trollfens or lair of the wyrm as they have 2 classes and two heroes. Only one class in manor of Ravens is really usable in rtl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the tip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.