Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Are radiators in active use on a promoted bernal immune to Pad Explosion / Space Debris? Relevant quotations:

Rules, M4 wrote:
Pad Explosion/Space Debris: Each player decommissions his
heaviest non-Bernal card in either LEO or in stacks colocated
with his unpromoted Bernal. If multiple cards are equally
heavy, choose one.
Ok, so the implication seems to be that ratiators in active use are safe from PE/SD on a promoted bernal. But:

Q2 wrote:
if your Bernal is PROMOTED (Q6), all colocated cards except
radiators in active use are immune to RADIATION HAZARDS,
events, and solar flares.
and
Q7 wrote:
All cards in the promoted Bernal Stack, except radiators in active use, are immune to events and solar flares.

Ok, so if radiators are safe from PE/SD, what other "events" is this talking about that are not solar flares?

(I personally think they should be immune at least to PE/SD. It is bad enough that radiators are vulnerable to solar flares, but if they are also vulnerable to PE/SD, nobody would ever want to use radiators to support a promoted bernal -- though perhaps that is thematically accurate).

2. Are radiators in active use on a promoted Bernal immune to radiation hazards?

According to Q2, they are not immune. But, the fact that this is not on the list in Q7 makes me think that either it was omitted from Q7 in error, or not removed from Q2 in error. Which one is it?

3. If the Li heat sink fountain ("switch to light side after first use") gets used as a support for a promoted Bernal, when does it switch to its light side? Immediately? At the end of the turn? Never?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions.

Going from the "what makes physical sense" interpretation, it isn't all that clear...

a. radiators would be exposed to space in order to function, and so would logically be vulnerable to debris; alternatively

b. for something like a Bernal, you think the builders would take some effort to shield the radiator from hits (e.g. cages or deflection panels).

So... no idea.

On (3), it kind of makes sense to degrade immediately since the radiator is presumably in continual use.

This is all IMO of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with cages, deflection panels, Wipple shields... whatever, is that they all impede the radiator's ability to do it's job.

In Attack Vector: Tactical they got around this for the purposes of combat by retracting the radiators, and relying on heat sinks for the duration of the battle. There are some problems with that idea, but they needed a solution, and it's good enough for that purpose.

I suspect the real reason behind the radiator rules is to allow Bernals to be vulnerable to combat, whilst still being indestructible (since the loss of a Bernal would be a massive setback in WT)

So by that interpretation, radiators are vulnerable at all times.

The Li heat sink fountain causes all kinds of rules headaches, but it makes sense to me for this to flip as soon as it is used, so the first turn that this is used as part of a support chain for anything, including keeping the lights on in a Bernal. Obviously this means that you probably shouldn't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
1. Are radiators in active use on a promoted bernal immune to Pad Explosion / Space Debris?

NO. That's how we always played it, at least.

Quote:
2. Are radiators in active use on a promoted Bernal immune to radiation hazards?

NO.

Quote:
3. If the Li heat sink fountain ("switch to light side after first use") gets used as a support for a promoted Bernal, when does it switch to its light side? Immediately? At the end of the turn? Never?

I guess you use it then it switches. Therefore, I think it switches at the end of the turn. That might mean your Bernal unpromotes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pad explosion rules have changed between 2nd and 3rd edition. Radiators would not have been vulnerable to this in 2nd edition.

There have been several changes for the purposes of removing exceptions to the rules - this may be one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
The pad explosiom description on p.25 specifically targets LEO stacks and unpromoted bernal stacks, so I would say a radiator at a promoted bernal stack cant be targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think that's right - go by the Event table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Which way was it playtested? If radiators on a promoted bernal were vulnerable to PE/SD, did anybody ever use them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.