Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing my 2nd game solo... this time with the Dragon. I think I figured everything else out, but I'm not stuck after arriving at Cave Collapse.

The "Alone in the Dark" variant indicates that I should remove Crystal Tiles first, then Dark Tiles, etc. The general rules for the game (not Cave specific) say that during collapse if 5 Crystal Tiles are removed, the game ends and everyone loses (assuming no Cave player).

If these rules are both in effect, the Dragon solo variant is autolose if you have discovered 5 Crystals and you get to cave collapse. Reasoning is that in order to wake up, you need to have gotten 11 wakefulness cubes which equates to 6 Spirit... so you'll be removing 6 tiles... and if you've exposed 6 crystal tiles, you insta-lose.

I'm perfectly OK if this is the right game end condition, but I don't see how you're supposed to win Dragon Solo outside of just getting luckier with which tiles you expose. Are you supposed to use Wrath to destroy crystal tiles along the way to make sure there are fewer than 5?

-or- does the 5 crystal tiles removed game end condition not apply in Dragon Solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During collapse you still work from the outside in:

connected by 1 edge:
- lit crystal
- any dark
- any lit

connected by 2 edges:
- lit crystal
- any dark
- any lit

connected by 3 edges:
- lit crystal
- any dark
- any lit

No plucking tiles from the middle of the cave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
During collapse you still work from the outside in:

connected by 1 edge:
- lit crystal
- any dark
- any lit

connected by 2 edges:
- lit crystal
- any dark
- any lit

connected by 3 edges:
- lit crystal
- any dark
- any lit

No plucking tiles from the middle of the cave.

OK, that makes more sense. It seemed weird to just lose because you exposed too many Crystal Tiles. Now I can finish my game and see if I win!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Now I can finish my game and see if I win!

Thanks!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ba
Austria
Bregenz
Vorarlberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. The rulebook only seems to order crystal vs. other tiles. That is, it seems up to the cave player whether to choose lit or dark tiles first, iff they are connected by same number of edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
bilbotheplayer wrote:
Hmmm. The rulebook only seems to order crystal vs. other tiles. That is, it seems up to the cave player whether to choose lit or dark tiles first, iff they are connected by same number of edges.
The Dark vs. Lit order is only applied in solo play, when you include the Alone in the Dark variant card.

It helps to accelerate the collapse, so the player can't buy themselves a bunch of extra time by only collapsing "safe" tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.