Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Can I mix and match prelude cards, boards and the mystic ruins deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cain M
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
Hello there!

So tomorrow I'm playing Eldritch again (I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH! - I literally just played it twice a week and a half ago).
I own all the expansions and am constantly trying to find ways to make it different and exciting.

I know that normally the extra boards (Egypt, Dreamlands, Antractica) are only set up if required by an Ancient One or by a prelude card, but is that a strict rule?

I think tomorrow we might play with Egypt but I'm not certain I wanted to use the Under The Pyramids prelude card. Would that be game-breaking?

I also love including both Mystic Ruins and Expedition Encounters, can I do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strict rule? No, only in tournament play (if such a thing exists meeple )

We did that also. Choosing a sideboard, drawing some other Prelude card, sure, it's definitely not game breaking.

Have fun kicking the Ancient Ones meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't break anything directly, but the trouble with adding a sideboard without the matching prelude or AO is that there's no game effects that actually encourage you to go there. This makes more of a difference for some boards than others.

For example, if you use the Antarctica board, all it really does is spawn gates out in really inconvenient places that someone has to go spend a long, boring trip to close. On the other hand, the Egypt side board is quite connected to the main board, and sometimes even is useful for travel even if you never specifically need to go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
The Mystic Ruins deck and the Antarctica side board can make the game a lot easier, if anyone has the time to actually do them. Just my observation. We once had a game of Hastur with the Mystic Ruins deck and thanks to frequent "advance the mystery" effects, we won quite easily.

Or the one where we played Azathoth and one player camped the City of the Elder Things. He finished the game with about eight artefacts.

I advice against using more than one sideboard (game gets too spread out, you never get everywhere) and if you use a sideboard without the right ancient one, make sure to use the adventures, or there's never much reason to actually go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:
I know that normally the extra boards (Egypt, Dreamlands, Antractica) are only set up if required by an Ancient One or by a prelude card, but is that a strict rule?
What do you mean by "strict"?
If you mean "the printed rules don't allow anything else", then the answer is "Yes, it's strict".
If you mean "it's physically impossible to play otherwise", then the answer is "No, it's not strict".

thecainman wrote:
I think tomorrow we might play with Egypt but I'm not certain I wanted to use the Under The Pyramids prelude card. Would that be game-breaking?
Again, that depends on what breaks the game at your table.
But by itself the sideboard shouldn't have a large impact on the game. The thing is, unless the Ancient One or the prelude provide some incentive to visit the sideboard you'll rarely have time and reasons to go there. There's a lot to do in the game of Eldritch Horror and you need a good reason to divert your travel.
As for this specific case, if you're not playing against Nephren-Ka then Under the Pyramids prelude has no detrimental effects when compared to setting up the board without the Prelude.

thecainman wrote:
I also love including both Mystic Ruins and Expedition Encounters, can I do that?
I think you know the answer.
By the rules: No, you can't.
In practice: Yes, you may do anything you want with your game including changing any or all of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:
Hello there!

So tomorrow I'm playing Eldritch again (I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH! - I literally just played it twice a week and a half ago).
I own all the expansions and am constantly trying to find ways to make it different and exciting.

Ok, so the rules say not to use the Mystic Ruins deck unless you're playing Syzygy or using the prelude card which calls it out.

However:

The Mystic Ruins deck makes things easier. As such, the prelude card which calls it out also has an effect which makes the game harder. (I think it's an extra gate spawned at the start?) But, I mean, FFG aren't going to send their SWAT team to your home and take you down for playing their game wrong. So, as long as you're willing to live with an easier game, there's literally nothing stopping you from whipping out the Mystic Ruins deck whenever you feel like it.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from using more than one prelude card either. If you use the preludes for the Pyramid sideboard and the Mystic Ruins deck, it probably wouldn't be game-breaking, though I'd guess it'd be more difficult than standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going for everything but the kitchen sink approach, you could play with multiple preludes, one for each sideboard and the mystic ruins deck.

oops: Should have read all the responses before duplicating advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the reason the Mstic Ruins deck makes the game easier simply because of the advance mysteries on them? I'm going to include mystic ruins in every game however I'm going to remove all the advance the active mystery cards from that deck, I'm assuming this will just provide variety then without making the game any easier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
Is the reason the Mstic Ruins deck makes the game easier simply because of the advance mysteries on them? I'm going to include mystic ruins in every game however I'm going to remove all the advance the active mystery cards from that deck, I'm assuming this will just provide variety then without making the game any easier?

It also lets you remove gates at a distance and play with the omen track. Basically, it acts like you have a second expedition deck, where all the locations are easier to get to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
As mentioned above I'd suggest the use multiple preludes approach as this will give reasons to visit the different area's and help balance the difficulty changes.

(shamless plug incoming)
If you fancy using everything together (and have a big table) I designed an ancient one that uses all the side boards, plus the mystic ruins deck all at once. It sounds complex but isn't really, it used the different adventures to advance the game and you don't need to print out a load of stuff just an ancient one sheet.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1711490/custom-ancient-one-...
The last post in that thread has the most up-to-date version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.