Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Played S1, lots of rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I hope someone out there is willing to help me out. I have so many questions after playing through S1. Hoping I can get these cleared up and replay the scenario fixing any mistakes I may have ruled.

THANKS SO MUCH!

1. If a moving unit fails its dr to pick up a SW, when can it attempt again? The rules seem to state one attempt per unit per SW. 3.3 last paragraph.

2. Is my assumption correct: You cannot ‘pick up’ units while moving. For example, If I move a unit into a hex with a friendly unit, I am not able to then move both of those units a further hex. Movement must be performed separately. Mostly I'm confused how individual units can move and stack mid move or end up stacked.

3. Is my assumption correct: I AM able, however, to move two units in a stack along a road, move one of those unit west into some woods, and continue moving the original unit along the road and both of those units share the same MF pool created when initially moving the stack.

4.Can a defending unit who used First Fire against a moving unit use SFF against that same target? I believe this is only true if the moving unit expends 2MF entering that hex, or if the moving unit spends 1MF doing something else in that hex.

5. What do they mean by subject to more -/+ DRM here?: “A unit can be attacked by residual FP again in the same location if the unit expends additional MF in that location and by so doing the unit is subject to more negative DRM or less positive DRM”

6. The rules say leader direction can be applied as a drm multiple times for ROF or defensive fire. Does that include defensive first fire / subsequent first fire / final protective fire?

7. When LOS is traced directly through exactly one hex side from start hex to finish hex (range 2), how do you determine hindrance? Where is this in the rules? (Ex, if you’re firing range 2, directly ahead, and there is an orchard on the left and open ground on the right, is there a +1 hindrance? What if there are two orchards side by side and you’re shooting in between them, is it +1 or +2?)

8. In a close combat example in the aslsk1 rb, when rolling to determine ambush, germans roll a 6, russians a 3. doesn’t this mean an ambush? the example says there is no ambush. it mentions the german leader has a -1 drm but why? for what? that is applied to the ambush roll? doesn’t this mean leader led close combat attacks are less likely to ambush the defender?

9. If a unit breaks and it can’t self rally and it has no leader, a leader needs to be moved to that unit for it to rally so it will likely take a turn or two, right? assuming you roll well…

10. Is it possible to be interdicted multiple times during a route?

11. If a defending unit is marked First Fire, and I move a stack next to it in open ground, are they able to make SFF and FPF attacks subsequently?

12. Can a leader fire on his own at a target? Has no fp so I assume not.

13. Does hindrance affect interdiction LOS?

14. Does ASLSK1 rb permit leader to route with a stacked broken dm unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I try to answer what I know without the rules in front of me:

1. You can try in the next turn
2.You cannot indeed pick up other units
3.You are NOT allowed to do that. A stack can be divided but they move separately. The can follow same or similar ways, but the second units will have to take Residual Fire if the first units were fired upon.
4.Yes, if it expended 2MF AND the unit is the closest unit to the guys firing.
5. No idea.
6. Yes, but only when firing with the same people. You cannot get Leader bonus with one unit in a stack, and then use it in other units in the same stack that fires afterwards.
7. You take the side with the worst DRM for the firing player. It's something explained in the Brush explanation. Brushes gives +1DRM even in the SIDES of the hexagon.
8. I should check that.
9. In YOUR turn you are able as well to try to self rally a unit that normally wouldn't be able. OR you can move a leader there
10. YES
11. YES.
12. You are right
13. I think so... It must be open terrain
14. It can be done, not sure if is there or comes from the full, 'I just play the SK and I use that rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
For 11, if i move a stack into open ground then i spend 1MF to do so, doesnt that only allow a SFF if the unit already has a first fire counter? thus, not able to FPF?

Another question, if I have an inept 6+1 leader in a hex with an inf unit, there's no reason to include the leader in any firing actions right? Do I have to? All I give up is cowering protection...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
c0mputer wrote:
if I have an inept 6+1 leader in a hex with an inf unit, there's no reason to include the leader in any firing actions right?

The leader could prevent cowering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
c0mputer wrote:
For 11, if i move a stack into open ground then i spend 1MF to do so, doesnt that only allow a SFF if the unit already has a first fire counter? thus, not able to FPF?

Yep, 1MF -> 1 Shot

If any one else moves ADJACENT to the defending unit, he could make FPF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Does DM+4 apply to attacker self-rally of 1 MMC per turn? ASLSK1 RB makes it seem like the DM DRM applies to unit rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
c0mputer wrote:
Does DM+4 apply to attacker self-rally of 1 MMC per turn? ASLSK1 RB makes it seem like the DM DRM applies to unit rally.

If it has a DM marker on it, yes. Also, don't forget the +1 DRM for self rally that is also applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And -1 DRM for being in building and woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your #8 question, yes, the Leader applies his modifier to the Ambush roll. If you look at the Player aide chart, there are several modifiers that accounted for in regards to ambush. (Pinned Squads, CX'd and inexperienced to name a couple).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BTW, if no one else is going to say it, I'll say it: if you have this many questions, you should probably read Jay's very helpful tutorials and Eddy's very helpful playthroughs.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9823/advanced-squad-lead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. I read Jay's tutorial a couple hours ago and it was great and clarified a lot for me

One more, if a broken unit that cannot self rally is in Melee with an attacking mmc, if you don't assist it with an unbroken unit, then it will just defend itself forever but be unable to kill its attacker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
c0mputer wrote:
One more, if a broken unit that cannot self rally is in Melee with an attacking mmc, if you don't assist it with an unbroken unit, then it will just defend itself forever but be unable to kill its attacker?

That is correct! Broken units in melee do not attack; they can only defend (with their printed strength).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thought of another one I didn't really see covered in the rules. When you're moving units in from off-board, do they have to move onto the board from the offboard hex they're 'in' or can I pick them up at any time offboard and move them onto any hex on the edge of the board during my MPh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.3, middle of the paragraph is what your looking for. Also, you can bring them on during the Advance phase as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be Advance Phase (APh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
That would be Advance Phase (APh).

That's what I saidwhistle
Spoiler (click to reveal)
or meant to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
c0mputer wrote:
Thought of another one I didn't really see covered in the rules. When you're moving units in from off-board, do they have to move onto the board from the offboard hex they're 'in' or can I pick them up at any time offboard and move them onto any hex on the edge of the board during my MPh.

Not sure what the specific ASLSK wording is, but in full ASL, offboard movement is treated as Open Ground when entering (except for certain hexes that can be treated as roads). [The rules for exiting the board are somewhat different, which can be confusing, but that's not important here.]

However, you need to pay attention to the specific entry instructions listed on the scenario card. If, for example, the scenario says "enter on/adjacent to hex zL1" then you must enter on one of those three hexes, and no amount of offboard movement will change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hmm, let me clarify my question. If the scenario says enter, turn 1, east edge. As I understand it, first thing you do in the rally phase is set the units you're given up along the eastern edge. They can't prep fire while in this position. They're not on the map. During their MPh/APh, they can move onto the map _from their current offboard hex_ and as such, I cannot relocate the unit offboard to a different offboard hex prior to entering the map.

It seems though, that I _could_ move units offboard along the eastern edge prior to entering if I counted each imaginary hex as an open ground 1MF move.

Also what are the footnotes / reasoning for broken units being unable to attack in close combat? They just sit there waiting to be slaughtered? Just want to confirm that while a CC defending broken unit can cause the attacker to miss and not eliminate the unit, they CANNOT damage or eliminate the attacking unit (because they cannot attack) correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Chris G wrote:
Also what are the footnotes / reasoning for broken units being unable to attack in close combat? They just sit there waiting to be slaughtered?

In ASLSK, yes.

In full ASL, broken units in CC *must* attempt to withdraw from that hex, which makes more sense from a realism standpoint. But the CC Withdrawal rules were left out of ASLSK (an intentional simplification, not an oversight).

Chris G wrote:
Just want to confirm that while a CC defending broken unit can cause the attacker to miss and not eliminate the unit, they CANNOT damage or eliminate the attacking unit (because they cannot attack) correct?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Gotcha, thanks! I think I'm ready to play S1 again and see if anythings different from my first playthru with a little experience and clarity under my belt.

Last time it ended in a flurry of bayonets resulting in just one victory hex being occupied by the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Got a couple more after playing with SW.

1) If a HS carrying a LMG SW is casualty reduced and eliminated, does that result in a dr to decide the destruction of the LMG or does it lay there on the hex ready to be picked up? The rules say there is a dr when a unit is KIA but does that mean eliminated in general or specifically a KIA result on the IFT DR chart?

2) If a full squad is carrying two LMG SW and it fires at the same target, is the ROF determined for both LMG by the one colored die?

And a 'multi-hex building' question:

3) In a 3 hex building laid out [a][b][c] can an attacker in the hex right of hex [C] attack a defender in [A]? I'm guessing no as the middle building hex (part of the same building of course) is an obstacle to LOS. Can the attacker in [A] shoot out of the building at that attacker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
c0mputer wrote:
3) In a 3 hex building laid out [a][b][c] can an attacker in the hex right of hex [C] attack a defender in [A]? I'm guessing no as the middle building hex (part of the same building of course) is an obstacle to LOS. Can the attacker in [A] shoot out of the building at that attacker?

Typically the LOS would be blocked in a situation like you describe, but note that it depends on the specific building art and where it lies in the hexes. If the LOS crosses building art in intervening hexes, then the LOS is blocked.

Note that this is nothing special about buildings: it applies to woods too, and any other blocking terrain (of which I guess there may be none in SK1).

Simply apply the general rule: if the LOS (from center of firer hex to center of target hex) in an intervening hex (between the firer and the target) crosses blocking terrain, then the LOS is blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, in regards of Broken units in melee, remember that a broken unit adjacent to an enemy unit MUST rout away in RtPh.
This to say that there are very rare instances in which you'll have Broken units in CC.
(we discussed this in another thread....I have no link now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Squad (or half Squad) sustains a KIA only for a chance of destroying the SW. Failing MCs by enough with a natural 12 won't destroy the SW.

2) If both LMG's were used in a FG, then they both pass their ROF if the colored die is equal or less. By the same token, if the B# is rolled, then only one of the MG's gets broke IIRC.

3)If your example has ABC all in a row, then no, Squads in C cannot fire at a Squad entering A.

EDIT: keep in mind that if that full Squad fires the two LMG's that you can't add their own FP to the total. Just learned that little nugget last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Chris G wrote:
5. What do they mean by subject to more -/+ DRM here?: "A unit can be attacked by residual FP again in the same location if the unit expends additional MF in that location and by so doing the unit is subject to more negative DRM or less positive DRM"

Here's an example:

A unit enters a hex and is attacked by Residual FP, but is not pinned or broken. If that unit then expends another MF to successfully recover an abandoned FT, it suffers another Residual FP attack, because a unit carrying a FT has a -1 DRM to IFT attacks.

If, however, that unit had instead recovered some SW other than a FT, it would not undergo another Residual FP attack, because a FT is the only SW that makes a unit more vulnerable to incoming fire.

This is a rule that *rarely* comes into play. In ASLSK, picking up a FT is the main way to trigger it; there might be a few other ways, but I can't think of any offhand.

In full ASL there are a number of other ways to trigger it, but it is still rare see it actually happen.

Chris G wrote:
14. Does ASLSK1 rb permit leader to rout with a stacked broken dm unit?

Yes, if the leader is not pinned (5th para of rule 3.6).

Chris G wrote:
Hmm, let me clarify my question. If the scenario says enter, turn 1, east edge. As I understand it, first thing you do in the rally phase is set the units you're given up along the eastern edge. They can't prep fire while in this position. They're not on the map. During their MPh/APh, they can move onto the map _from their current offboard hex_ and as such, I cannot relocate the unit offboard to a different offboard hex prior to entering the map.

It seems though, that I _could_ move units offboard along the eastern edge prior to entering if I counted each imaginary hex as an open ground 1MF move.

Yes, that would be legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.