Subject: Terra Mystica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Looney Llama
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I realize that I should post this question on the Game Forum but I can't seem to post my question there.
So, I just purchased Terra Mystica and will be playing it this weekend with my gaming group. Upon reading the rules I found one rule that I'm not sure how to interpret it. On page 13 under the conversion section the rule states you can convert a priest to a worker or a worker to a coin as often as you like. Is there any cost in power to do this? If there isn't any cost I'm not sure why the conversion notations are placed in the bowl of power area.
Also, for those of you who have played the game is there anything else that I should be aware of that you found confusing initially?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no additional power cost to convert priests to workers to coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Converting priests to workers or workers to coins does not cost any power. It is grouped together with the option of converting power to resources in a "resource conversion table".

Stuff you might want to look out for:
- You gain the resources printed in the top right corner of the player board once at the start of the game, not every round.
- Even in round 1, there is an income phase. For most factions, play should commence with 6 workers and 15 coins, plus what you get from your bonus tile.
- Use the suggested beginner's setup from the rulebook. The game can be punishing at the beginning, and choosing the wrong faction or the wrong starting locations may already screw you. Also, factions like Chaos Magicians or Engineers require a bit of experience with the game to play well.
- Be sure to check after every action if the player gets VP for it, or if someone can leech power. There is a lot going on in the game and it is easy to lose sight of all the details.

Have fun, it's one of my favourite games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everything Trantor42 said is great! I might add:

- the Power actions (and 1 of the Bonus tiles, and the one-shot Stronghold abilities of Halflings & Giants) that give you spades effectively amount to a "Transform & Build" action: you may terraform (buying extra spades if necessary to transform to your home terrain) and build a dwelling
- you can't add spades or build when you receive bonus spades from cult bonuses.
- when you take the Transform & Build action, you don't have to build; you can terraform now & build later.

- burning & converting power don't count as actions, & may be performed anytime (before or after any action, including passing).

- don't forget to add a coin to unclaimed bonus tiles, even before the start of the first round.

- all the faction-specific rules break the basic rules in various ways and take a little time getting used to. I strongly recommend reading the really helpful TM FAQ on BGG for clarifications!!!

And otherwise, don't hesitate posting here with your questions, the community on BGG is great!

Have fun discovering TM, it's one of my favorite games too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget: the operation is priest > worker > coin. It does not work in reverse order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
... and plus be aware that there are a couple of official rules changes, notably for the scoring tile setup, the Cultists' special ability (see the TM FAQ), and new starting VPs (posted recently somewhere around here...)

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.