Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: Printing multiple copies of a fan expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Støttrup
Denmark
Allerød
flag msg tools
Hallo. We are a bunch of people, who will like to print a fan expansion to Ticket to Ride. We think of getting it printed on a nice board,( like a real game). We order together, and share the experience, so there will not be any business in it.
Is this legal, according to copyright? And do we have to put on DoW logo or avoid it?
The expansion will need a original T2R game to be played.
Regards Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Judging from your name, I am guessing you are based in DK, so I will use DK copyright laws in my reply:
There is no copyright on game ideas, the copyright is on the game components themselves and on the rules (DK: 'Værket' er beskyttet, men ikke afledte værker)
This means that you can design any extras, as long as you do not copy the existing artwork.

In the case of TtR, you can design a new board, but do not use the DoW logo, that would be illegal if you do not have permission from DoW to use it.

You can use the original TtR game pieces to play, you can also create your own, if you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
mb
The best fan expansion, by far, is the Emerald City (Seattle) expansion! I had it custom made for my wife for her birthday last year, and we have loved it ever since... Thanks to Jason A. Subers for his tremendous work on that project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skovtrold wrote:
Hallo. We are a bunch of people, who will like to print a fan expansion to Ticket to Ride. We think of getting it printed on a nice board,( like a real game). We order together, and share the experience, so there will not be any business in it.
Is this legal, according to copyright? And do we have to put on DoW logo or avoid it?
The expansion will need a original T2R game to be played.
Regards Sebastian

As Days of Wonder approve of fan expansions being published on BGG (with specific copyright clauses added to the game description and its rules), I can't see that they would in any way disapprove of somebody having it printed too. (I mean, the game is not playable unless it is printed!)

I asked them before I uploaded a couple of fan expansions here, and quickly got a nice answer. That was some years ago, but as more fan expansions are constantly being added, I suppose nothing has changed. I have, however, noted that the words "Ticket to Ride" have been taken out of the fan expansions' names, which probably is due to contacts between Days of Wonder and the BoardGameGeek administrators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
I asked them before I uploaded a couple of fan expansions here, and quickly got a nice answer. That was some years ago, but as more fan expansions are constantly being added, I suppose nothing has changed.
One big thing has changed: They are now part of Asmodee.

Still, you need train car cards and some kind of trains to play, and the cheapest way to get those is to buy a copy of their game, so I would think they would be happy with fan content, but they will follow their own legal counsel, as they should.

I'd like to make that Emerald City expansion myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Støttrup
Denmark
Allerød
flag msg tools
Fomalhaut wrote:
I have, however, noted that the words "Ticket to Ride" have been taken out of the fan expansions' names, which probably is due to contacts between Days of Wonder and the BoardGameGeek administrators.

Yes Ticket to ride is a trademark. This.might be the reason. And as tallmod says, there is no copyright on the idea, but in the components.
So it seems I just simply have to avoid using any logos of trademark names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:
I asked them before I uploaded a couple of fan expansions here, and quickly got a nice answer. That was some years ago, but as more fan expansions are constantly being added, I suppose nothing has changed.
One big thing has changed: They are now part of Asmodee.

Exactly. But if Asmodee for some strange reason did not like the fan expansions, they would have taken some action against those newer ones. That's what I thought of, but did not mention.

Whizkid wrote:
Still, you need train car cards and some kind of trains to play, and the cheapest way to get those is to buy a copy of their game, so I would think they would be happy with fan content, but they will follow their own legal counsel, as they should.

I'd like to make that Emerald City expansion myself.

I know for sure that my fan expansions have caused at least two copies of Ticket to Ride: Europe to be sold. There are probably thousands of other examples around the world!

That said, I would definitely design and print my own TtR expansions no matter what people thought of it. If not anything else they are pieces of art and if Campbell's soup can be art, so can Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.