Zbyszek Kisły
msg tools
I know Warhammer games they have really cool miniatures but games are long and miniatures are expensive. Is there something faster that is not as much expensive? I love Neuroshima Hex but the armies are fixed. I tried Summoner Wars and it's the closest one. Anything similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is expensive?

Would Imperial Assault skirmish mode match what you are looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket Battles maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Mythic Battles: Pantheon?

There's different play modes: head to head, campaign, scenarios. If playing head-to-head, you draft your "armies."

I think the suggested play time is 90 minutes. The downside is that it won't be available until the end of the year. I'm haven't played any miniature games at all and this is mighty appealing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested in The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth. It's a GW board game that was well reviewed - for the actual game, not just the minis. You can pick your force composition and swap out weapons.

But since so many people buy the GW games just to get the minis, you can pick up the boardgame parts dirt cheap. Then you just have to proxy the minis with cardboard standees or something.

EDIT

Oh, I forgot Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers! Really fun reimplementation of the Heroscape system, and best of all - VERY cheap.

You'll need to get multiple sets for more customization, but you could get the original base set plus the Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers – Battle for Zendikar expansion and the Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers: Shadows over Innistrad base set all for $40 on Amazon right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you're looking for an actual miniatures game that can be played cheaply, I suggest either Frostgrave for a more RPG-like system centered on wizards, or something from the Song of Blades and Heroes family - which includes spinoffs that cover all sorts of subjects and time periods.

Both let you use whatever miniatures you want - old HeroClix or Mage Knight figures are cheap and readily available. All you have to buy is the rules (which are cheap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try a miniatures game that allows you to build and change your force there a lot of skirmish level games that require around 10 minis a side. You'll also need some terrain but you can improvise that at first. It really depends on what genre you want to play and, perhaps more importantly, what you can find opponents for. Some suggestions to look into:

Fantasy:
Song of Blades and Heroes or Frostgrave. You can use any suitable minis with either, although there is range produced for Frostgrave.

Steampunk:
Malifaux or In Her Majesty's Name (IHMN). Malifaux uses cards instead of dice and has its own figure range that isn't easily substituted for. IHMN has its own range also, but you can source alternatives from an number of other suppliers.

Historical(ish)
The people who do IHMN also do Blood Eagle: Skirmish Wargaming in the Legendary Dark Ages., set in the dark ages but with optional fantasy elements. There's also Osprey's Broken Legions: Fantasy Skirmish Wargames in the Roman Empire if you prefer a more classical feel. There are a lot of suppliers of historical miniatures and you can often pick up good deals on eBay.

Japanese
Ronin: Skirmish Wargames in the Age of the Samurai for non-fantasy or Bushido if you want added magic and monsters.

Also check out the games section of the Osprey website, they have a whole range of skirmish games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Something "similar" is definitely Heroes of Normandie - you can build your armies within a set point and upgrade limit. Good game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
As you note, cards are cheap devil
Two games that use the deckbuilding mechanism to customize your army during the game.

Rune Age; various game modes. Among several PvP modes, shines "Rune Wars": last standing player wins.
No spacial element (map). You chose a target and play units or tactics (cards) alternating with the defending player.
If you are ok with a game with a simple rule set this is an awesome game.

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set; more complex.
Magic the gathering done right.
You chose 3 heroes before the game, then during the game you acquire units (cards) or spells of your heroes' factions.
No map, but you can position units... basically your opponent has to get through your line of defense to strike what is behind that. Different bonuses for different positions. A bit more complex but you get the idea.

HTH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinity?

It's a skirmish vs a whole army but similar to your requirements otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition) + BattleLore (Second Edition): Warband of Scorn Army Pack + BattleLore (Second Edition): Hernfar Guardians Army Pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Barrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Dust Tactics might work- I stocked on a lot of stuff on clearance which is nice. It can play fairly quick or you can increase the army building points. The rules are pretty straightforward too. I also like how you can buys squads based on taste. I really like the weird fiction slant so I have a bunch of the zombie and ape squads.

Another suggestion would be Battlelore. It's fantasy themed so if you like Summoner Wars that might be a good next step. The base game is pretty complete and you can build out from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
DEATH FROM ABOVE
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of print, but still pretty easy to find: Warhammer Diskwars. You can customise your armies, terrain, objectives and number of regiments. Check this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warhammer: Diskwars will never be in print again but publication only ceased in February this year so you may be able to find some on the second hand market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars arena (like summoner wars but you make your own spellbook)
Pixel Tactics Deluxe (cards have different powers depending on where they are played)
Level 7: Omega Protocol (one person plays the aliens; everyone else builds the elite team like from the Aliens movie)
Battlelore 2.0 (war game in one box. plays quickly for a war game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.