Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading some of the posts in this forum I think we may be playing some things incorrectly and now I am confused. If I have 3 defense I can roll 3 defense dice on my battle turn. If I place 2 of these dice in the active slot, do I only have 1 defense die available to me on my next turn or do I get to roll all 3 again? If possible can you reference where this is explained so I can show my rules lawyer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9 of the rulebook under Defense:

The total Def Dice currently in Active slots will reduce available Def Dice for rolling this turn (e.g. Boomer has a Def stat of 2. She rolls both Def Dice on her turn and gets a 1 and a 2 result. She chooses to place both dice in her Active slots. Later in the round, a Baddie attacks her for 1 Dmg, so she chooses to remove the 1 Def from her Active slot. It’s now her turn again, but because she still has a Def Die in her Active slot, she can only roll 1 Def Die this turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've looked a dozen times for this and somehow kept missing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Ryan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
krompot wrote:

The total Def Dice currently in Active slots will reduce available Def Dice for rolling this turn (e.g. Boomer has a Def stat of 2. She rolls both Def Dice on her turn and gets a 1 and a 2 result. She chooses to place both dice in her Active slots. Later in the round, a Baddie attacks her for 1 Dmg, so she chooses to remove the 1 Def from her Active slot. It’s now her turn again, but because she still has a Def Die in her Active slot, she can only roll 1 Def Die this turn).

To add to this, on a players turn they can choose to remove defense dice from their active slot to re-roll them. For example, if they hope to get a better result and / or gunning for additional Bones. If they do this, however, they lose the previously active defense die's active defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyler,

Are you basing this off the rulebook or did you find something in the forums somewhere?

I know the rule book says: "Important: To free up space, a player may remove (Exhaust if Skill Die) dice from Active or Locked slots at any time during their turn". I guess I was reading this another way but see how your interpretation makes sense now. The part "to free up space" was probably causing me to read too much into it.

We had a similar question on the "reusable bones" skill dice. If placed in your backup plan, are they stuck there until used or can you voluntarily remove them at the start of your turn to roll again in the hope of a different result.

WhoAskedU wrote:
krompot wrote:

To add to this, on a players turn they can choose to remove defense dice from their active slot to re-roll them. For example, if they hope to get a better result and / or gunning for additional Bones. If they do this, however, they lose the previously active defense die's active defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irwin
United States
Bad Axe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you remove a reusable bone, it is probably a skill die, and would need to be exhausted, and therefore not available to be re-rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, here is the definition of a Reusable Bones result: "May use this in you Backup Plan. After use, place back in its Skill Slot".

The situation I am referring to is if Picket places a Reusable Bones result in his backup plan. Can he remove it at the start of his turn in the hopes of rolling, say, Constant Def or is it stuck there until he gets at least one more bones and can do Shield Bash?

jirwin wrote:
If you remove a reusable bone, it is probably a skill die, and would need to be exhausted, and therefore not available to be re-rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kleinfall
msg tools
krompot wrote:
No, here is the definition of a Reusable Bones result: "May use this in you Backup Plan. After use, place back in its Skill Slot".

The situation I am referring to is if Picket places a Reusable Bones result in his backup plan. Can he remove it at the start of his turn in the hopes of rolling, say, Constant Def or is it stuck there until he gets at least one more bones and can do Shield Bash?

jirwin wrote:

My understanding is that once you lock a reusable bone into your backup plan, a backup plan that uses it must be performed before it would go back to your skill slot for reuse. This is why the order of locking and using backup plan dice is important.

See page 11 of the rule book under managing bones:

• Line up from left to right in the order they are earned.

• Use from left to right. Shift unused all the way left.

For me, when I play Picket (or any Gearloc with reusable bones), I typically don't use them as bones unless I am planning to execute a backup plan that would use them immediately or I don't need to have the skill die for awhile. That being said, I sometimes will roll them just for the bones.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, that is the way I play it also. It just kind of begged the question especially if we are saying you can remove your Active Defense dice at the beginning of your turn so they can be rerolled.

gkleinfall wrote:
krompot wrote:

jirwin wrote:

My understanding is that once you lock a reusable bone into your backup plan, a backup plan that uses it must be performed before it would go back to your skill slot for reuse. This is why the order of locking and using backup plan dice is important.

See page 11 of the rule book under managing bones:

• Line up from left to right in the order they are earned.

• Use from left to right. Shift unused all the way left.

For me, when I play Picket (or any Gearloc with reusable bones), I typically don't use them as bones unless I am planning to execute a backup plan that would use them immediately or I don't need to have the skill die for awhile. That being said, I sometimes will roll them just for the bones.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wielgus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may *remove* (not exhaust) your Active Def at anytime in order to re-roll. Of course it costs Dex to roll them again, and there's always the chance you'll roll Bones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.