Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Combat Encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
I have a Flamethrower Asset which says Gain +5 Strength during Combat Encounters, i also have the Incantation Spell Wrack, which says When resolving a Combat Encounter you may test Lore-1. If you pass gain +5 Strength during that encounter, if i pass the Lore test can i add both +5's
to the Combat Encounter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only add the hightest bónus from one source.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You've asked variations on this question twice already. The answer is still that you only apply the highest numerical bonus of any effects, including spells, items, allies, etc. The exception is when it's phrased as "roll another die", in which case you can apply it in addition to the highest numerical bonus.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
Thanks Facsantos.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
The exception is when it's phrased as "roll another die"
It's not an exception, it's a different thing.

Actually, the numeric "gain +X" bonus is an exception.
Everything stacks; all kind of effects, benefits, advantages, extras and improvements stack.
Except the numeric "gain +X" bonus.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boroduwicz
Scotland
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Everything stacks; all kind of effects, benefits, advantages, extras and improvements stack.


Hi Krzysiek,

I'd really appreciate if you could expand on this a little with some examples. When I began playing Eldritch I am now aware that I was giving myself and my fellow players too many bonuses (whilst still losing) but suspect I am now not giving us enough additions of the type you describe.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
The exception is when it's phrased as "roll another die"
It's not an exception, it's a different thing.

Actually, the numeric "gain +X" bonus is an exception.
Everything stacks; all kind of effects, benefits, advantages, extras and improvements stack.
Except the numeric "gain +X" bonus.


I'm assuming that at this point things like skill improvements, etc. have already been incorporated and the only thing to be considered is the numerical bonuses (or additional dice).

If you look at the modifications to the number of dice that you roll for a test, the vast majority are numerical bonuses. Viewed this way, the additional die is an uncommon case, which is why I called it out specifically.

It is different, as you say, and not technically an exception, but I was pointing it out as some might equate "an additional die" to "+1" and wonder why the rule doesn't apply there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koovan wrote:
Quote:
Everything stacks; all kind of effects, benefits, advantages, extras and improvements stack.


Hi Krzysiek,

I'd really appreciate if you could expand on this a little with some examples. When I began playing Eldritch I am now aware that I was giving myself and my fellow players too many bonuses (whilst still losing) but suspect I am now not giving us enough additions of the type you describe.



Let me give you an example.
Lets assume that you are casting the Plumb the Void spell that says: "Test Lore-1"

Your base Lore (printed on your investigator sheet) is 3.
You have a +1 Lore improvement token.

You have an Arcane Scholar ally that says "gain +1 Lore" and lets you reroll 1 dice when testing Lore.
You have the Cursed sphere artifact, that says "gain +2 to all skills".
You have a tome asset that says "gain +3 Lore when resolving spell effects"

You are on a city space, and you have an urban guide, who lets you roll 1 additional die when you are on a city space. You also have the lucky ring (reroll 1 dice on each test) and lucky cigarette case (+1 to die result once per turn).

How many dice do you roll?

Your Lore is now 4 (starting roll is 3, but the improvement token makes it 4).
You add the highest +x bonus (+1 from the ally, +2 from the cursed sphere, +3 from the tome as you are casting a spell). The highest is the +3; the other "+x" bonuses do NOT stack.

You also gain "an additional die" from the urban guide. The "additional dice" always stack. So total of 8 dice so far. But the spell says "test Lore-1", so you have to subtract a die from your dice pool, bringing it back to 7.

You roll the 7 dice, and then you can use two rerolls (one from the Arcane Scholar, and one from the lucky ring). Then, if you want, you can use the lucky cigarette case to turn a "4" to a "5".


PS: the above scenario is not far fetched. Buy assets early and often, taking bank loans as needed.
9 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boroduwicz
Scotland
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks George - that was exactly the type of answer I was looking for and it is consistent with how I am now playing the game - there are a lot of excellent FAQs on BGG. However, I wonder whether there is any internal consistent thematic logic behind this particular aspect of the game's rules. For example, why is the Arcane Scholar ally prevented from working in tandem with the cursed sphere asset - is it a means of maintaining game balance or is there some more profound thematic reason for this phenomenon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koovan wrote:
Thanks George - that was exactly the type of answer I was looking for and it is consistent with how I am now playing the game - there are a lot of excellent FAQs on BGG. However, I wonder whether there is any internal consistent thematic logic behind this particular aspect of the game's rules. For example, why is the Arcane Scholar ally prevented from working in tandem with the cursed sphere asset - is it a means of maintaining game balance or is there some more profound thematic reason for this phenomenon?


The ways the asset bonuses are designed is largely around game balance.
The game is designed around a "decent" stat pool being 3-4 dice (giving a success probability of 70%-80% for tests that require a single success).

Assets are easily obtainable. By spending an action and taking a bank loan in each of the first 3-4 turns of the game, you significantly improve the odds of your investigator passing tests (which you need to close gates, get clues, etc.). So the general rule is that assets don't stack (if they did, you would just buy lots of low-cost items and the game would be too easy).

The more rare and expensive items (cost 3-4, some unique assets, artifacts) can give the precious "additional dice" (which stack) or rerolls (which effectively act as additional dice in most encounters).

Most weapons give a flat +x Str bonus (generally 3 to 5). Some weapons are designed to be used as side-arms (derringer, whip, 0.25 automatic) and give rerolls, dice manipulation effects or additional dice.

The 5 "base game" allies (Private Investigator, Private Assistant, Arcane Scholar, Vatican Missionary and Hired Muscle) all cost 2 and work the same: +1 stat, +1 reroll.

With expansions, you have the 4-cost allies (e.g. Treasure Hunter). These give +1 bonus and a reroll to *two* stats.

I could go on about this for ages, but the thing is that you just need to play the game a few (or a few dozen!) times. With experience you will see how it all fits together...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boroduwicz
Scotland
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I had to assume it was game balance rather than any thematic reason which is slightly disappointing. Very much appreciate the thoroughness and precision of your explanations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is kind of a thematic explanation that sometimes works. Let's say that you have the ability to throw a rock 100 meters, and you have a friend that can throw a rock 150 meters. You can't combine your rock-throwing skills to throw the rock 250 meters. The best you can do is give it to your friend and have him throw it 150 meters.

So I just picture situations in Eldritch Horror as something like: The Arcane Scholar is great at Lore, and the Cursed Sphere is even better. But they somehow interfere with each other so they can't add their bonuses together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.