Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

I am in the late stages of the design of my game and need playtesters. I live in Rockford, IL and am willing to travel to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago areas to accommodate playtesters.

My game supports 2 - 4 players and has a mix of deck building, game board, and RPG elements. Think Clank! meets Zombicide with a touch of Legendary and a healthy dose of tabletop RPG mechanics. It takes 3-5 hours to play, depending on the number of players, and is semi-cooperative, that is, you must cooperate to win but an ultimate hero is determined by victory points. In the 4 player version two teams compete against each other.

The setting is a zombie apocalypse and players are searching for loot while avoiding/fighting individual zombies and must contend with the constant threat of a horde attack. Loot includes cards for their deck, items to use, and weapon parts which give special abilities and can be assembled into individual weapons.

I have a prototype which I have printed myself. Currently, I am basing the design around the 7 Days to Die video game produced by indie developers "The Fun Pimps." Once I have the kinks worked out I plan to contact them about licensing their IP for branding with my game. If they are not interested I'll change my theme.

Please contact me if interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandyn
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm down in Joliet but commute to the city for work. I'd possibly be down depending on when and where!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! I might be interested, but honestly a 3-5 hour game is tough to fit in with my group these days. Would it be possible to let me read the rules, to judge if it might be up my group's alley before we try to commit?

I'm in Crystal Lake. I grew up in Rockford and still visit occasionally. Whereabouts are you located?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
booshmeister169 wrote:
I'm down in Joliet but commute to the city for work. I'd possibly be down depending on when and where!

I'm willing to accommodate playtesters, which includes traveling to a location convenient for them (I live about 2 hours northwest of Joliet). I imagine a public facility would be preferred but I'm not familiar with anything in your area. Do you have any suggestions? Some game stores and libraries have rooms that can be used, I think.

EDIT: Brandyn, there's a place called The Wandering Dragon Game Shoppe & Escape Room in Plainsville, IL. It's about 25 miles from Joliet. I can rent a room there. I'll send you a PM with the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Sounds cool! I might be interested, but honestly a 3-5 hour game is tough to fit in with my group these days. Would it be possible to let me read the rules, to judge if it might be up my group's alley before we try to commit?

I'm in Crystal Lake. I grew up in Rockford and still visit occasionally. Whereabouts are you located?

Cool! I'm on the northwest side, not too far from the water tower.

I have my initial draft of the rules, but the game has changed quite a bit since then so they'll need to be completely rewritten. I've been holding off on that until I get all the kinks worked out, but I can start penning something. That could take some time though. In the meantime, I'd be happy to produce a video overview of the game and post it on youtube, if you think that would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandyn
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I second the rule book thing! A video would be helpful as well. Depending on when we do it, I might be able to get another player or two if you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely check out a video if you put one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
booshmeister169 wrote:
I second the rule book thing! A video would be helpful as well. Depending on when we do it, I might be able to get another player or two if you wanted.

Yes, yes, and yes!

I need to playtest with any number of players, but I have little to no data on a 3 and 4 player game, so that would be splendid.

I'm gonna start working on a revised rulebook right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Edwards
msg tools
I'm out on the west coast. If you want I will go through the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sims
United States
Hillsboro
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only I lived a little closer... can I read through the rulebook atleast? It sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patrickwyeneedwards wrote:
I'm out on the west coast. If you want I will go through the rule book.

Nurkie wrote:
If only I lived a little closer... can I read through the rulebook atleast? It sounds interesting.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know when it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have expressed interest...

I'm working on the rulebook now. I should have something ready to share this week.

Please PM me a Google account you would like me to share it with (it's a Google doc). I don't want to open it up for public viewing just yet.

I had a great playtesting weekend this weekend. Three friends played for 4 hours Saturday and Sunday and I got lots of data. I'm making some rules changes based on those sessions.

One player was having so much fun they asked us to stop playing so they could go to the bathroom. They said they didn't want to miss anything. That's a good sign, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good sign. The trick is letting independent playtesters play - not to be a downer, but friends are notoriously difficult to get any negative feedback from. It's best when you can turn the playtest completely over to an independent group to figure out on their own. That will help tell you how your rules documentation really holds up, if nothing else.

PMing you my google address now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree with all your points, especially the one about friends not being a good source of critical feedback. They are great playtesters, though.

Right now my focus is on finding all the rules and mechanics issues that need to be ironed out. Once the rules are close to their final state I want to have playtesters sit down with the rulebook and attempt to learn the game with no intervention from myself. That should be enlightening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sims
United States
Hillsboro
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sending you my Google address for the rulebook. Can't wait to read up on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
pinkled5 wrote:
booshmeister169 wrote:

I'm willing to accommodate playtesters, which includes traveling to a location convenient for them (I live about 2 hours northwest of Joliet). I imagine a public facility would be preferred but I'm not familiar with anything in your area. Do you have any suggestions? Some game stores and libraries have rooms that can be used, I think.

EDIT: Brandyn, there's a place called The Wandering Dragon Game Shoppe & Escape Room in Plainsville, IL. It's about 25 miles from Joliet. I can rent a room there. I'll send you a PM with the details.

I just found The Wandering Dragon today for the first time and saw this post only 3 hours later. I work literally 1-1/2 miles from there, but it is highly unlikely I'd have that length of time for playtesting. Feel free to PM when you get things figured out, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mangan
United States
Freeport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that one of my friends had attended an UnPub event in Madison a while back. That would be a great place to play test.
https://tabletop.events/conventions/unpub-midwest

You might also check out Gamehole Con -- in November, during the first part of November. They usually have a section of their convention devoted to new games, play testing, and prototypes.

Message me if you want feedback or play testing. I'm in Freeport, but very familiar with the game stores in Rockford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmangan2 wrote:
I know that one of my friends had attended an UnPub event in Madison a while back. That would be a great place to play test.
https://tabletop.events/conventions/unpub-midwest

You might also check out Gamehole Con -- in November, during the first part of November. They usually have a section of their convention devoted to new games, play testing, and prototypes.

Message me if you want feedback or play testing. I'm in Freeport, but very familiar with the game stores in Rockford.

THANK YOU for that link and info!!

PMing you now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.