Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed. * Click the yellow microbadge for discounted microbadges!! *
mbmbmbmbmb
Just whipped up these in photoshop to illustrate some ideas that I think may help make it clearer on the board what unit does what:

You could even try and add their stats in there, but that might make it too busy. But at least show what sort of unit they are (farmer / melee / ranged / royal). I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Damoiseaux
Netherlands
Munstergeleen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your suggestion Raymond.

The design we are thinking of now is a simple cut-out of the frutti (if we reach the stretch goal) and have 3 different sizes. The smallest for all the workers and attackers, middle for the Royals and the largest for the King Crab. The shapes and sizes will make them easily distinguishable.

We noticed that it's really easy to remember what a certain frutti does after one or two playthroughs.

The frutti will also have the front and backside view of that frutti, in stead of the version with the backs you played. Have a look here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed. * Click the yellow microbadge for discounted microbadges!! *
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. I certainly hope you'll reach that stretch goal, as that looks very nice.

I do however remember when playing the game at Zuiderspel, that we all had to look up the frutti's stats a lot. Of course, being our first play, that's to be expected, but I'm not sure if everyone will be able to easily remember all those Frutti's stats. You as the designer know all of them by heart of course, but I know from experience that when you own a game you play from time to time, you need to look stuff up every time you play it, because you're not playing it that often.
Having visual reminders help greatly in that regard imho.

Here's another example based on your image:

I would at least add the icon in the first image, depicting if a Frutti is a worker or a fighter (melee or ranged). You have the icons for them, why not use them where they most matter? I believe my example shows the icons to be very non-intrusive.
And I'd also add that Crown icon for the Royal Fruttis. Yes, if they are bigger, they stand out better, but to me that doesn't say: These guys let you win if you end their turn in the center and keep it alive for a whole round. They might as well simply be stronger than the others and nothing more. That crown symbol tells me: this is one of the guys that let you win! Just like the Crab.

You could even take it further and add the attack/defend stats like in the second picture, but I agree that that may make it a bit too crowded. I'm a bit undecided on that tbh. I think many people would love to instantly be able to see which Frutti can potentially beat which other Frutti. If I had to choose right now, I'd probably add them, they aren't too big anyway.

The third image is just a few different approaches of that idea. I also added the movement (which I forgot to do in the second image).

This is what I most missed during my play of the prototype. Simple symbols on the pieces themselves telling you with a glance what they do. Now we were looking at the menu more than the actual board, and even though the menu is a brilliant touch (love it!), I'd rather ONLY use it to decide what to buy on my next round, then to also need to keep checking all the stats on it all the time. I want to focus on the board, not the menu. Just my 2

I hope other people interested in this game will post their thoughts on this. I honestly think it will greatly improve gameplay, as you'll be able to focus on the board more. That's where the game is taking place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Damoiseaux
Netherlands
Munstergeleen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice and quick photoshop you did. I like it!

I'm not saying our design is final, so we are certainly taking your suggestions into consideration. Thank you for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the clean design of the standees. I completely understand the desire to add symbols to help remembering what each class does but please do it carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made a few more as requested on the KS update #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Pritchard
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks good!
I would have to agree with Thomas on this one - keeping the design simple and uncluttered, it brings out the cuteness of the frutti and from playing the print and play version, most things were simple to remember or look up

Hopefully all goes well and the project can hit its stretch goals too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

I vote for leaving stats off the standees, though the mock ups look great!

Personally, I would be more interested in trying to figure out how to get wooden frutti with some way to connect to a colored base, even as an add-on purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.