Subject: balance issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently watched the video reviews and a couple times balance issues were mentioned; however, it was said that the designer is still working on it.

I'm just wondering what efforts are currently being made to ensure a balanced but difficult game? I REALLY want to pledge this but it's a bit expensive and balance is an easy way to ruin a great game. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a playtester and friend of the designer, but have no stake in this game.

I can verify that he pretty much never stops testing and updating this, with our local design group, people who visit his game cafe, and with outside groups. So while I don't know of *recent* specific changes to balance it, I know that the game is in a continuous, active loop of testing-feedback-improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Rebs
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
I recently watched the video reviews and a couple times balance issues were mentioned; however, it was said that the designer is still working on it.

I'm just wondering what efforts are currently being made to ensure a balanced but difficult game? I REALLY want to pledge this but it's a bit expensive and balance is an easy way to ruin a great game.

The early "balance" issues had a LOT to do with a draft copy of the rulebook being not entirely clear. Following feedback from both Married with Boardgames and Rahdo, the rulebook has been EXTENSIVELY rewritten for clarity. I know the designer has done several blind playtests with the new rulebook, and the misunderstandings which were resulting in the feeling of imbalance have been almost completely eliminated at this point, although he's still tinkering with it to ensure that it's 100% perfect before final release.

In addition, playtesting continues with more than a few of us trying everything we can think of, strategy-wise, to break the game. Until a few months ago, some of us would find over/underpowered strategies, etc. However, it has been quite a while since I've been able to find anything that skews too far in either direction, so he's had a lot of success eliminating any potential imbalance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just saw playtests of it running tonight ! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
I actually just saw playtests of it running tonight ! :cool:

And???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, can't comment in detail about balance as I was at the next table over testing potential future Roxley products. But they seemed to be having a very enthusiastic time of things!

Was more intending to confirm that the publisher is committed to fully ironing out every possible wrinkle in the game through exhaustive playtesting (I see him doing it all the time with group after group, and since I've been part of a few of those groups, I know the game evolves from the data and feedback gathered).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.