Subject: Solo Playable Grand Wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Archie Thornton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

I'm looking for suggestions for a solo playable wargame, either WW1 or WW2, but on a grand scale rather than an individual battle or platoon level so to speak.
I have a P500 order for Cataclysm on GMT that sounds great but is there anything I can try in the meantime?

Many thanks
Arch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, consider asking in the Wargames subforum; you'll get a better read-through rate from people with the domain knowledge.

Second, start looking through strategic level games for something interesting. I realize that's incredibly broad and vague, but most wargames are pretty straightforward to solo even if not specifically created for solo play (since you mention Cataclysm, I assume you're fine with that approach). Be wary of card-driven or block games -- really, any that are heavy on hidden info -- they can be played solo, but they tend to lose more of their je ne sais quoi.

Also consider searching for geeklists on the subject; here are a few to get you started:
Compact Strategic Wargames That Pack a Punch
Favorite Operational/Strategic Wargames by Historical Period
Top 10 Strategic WWII Games

Finally, for a specific title to consider that is recent, available, and of generally-similar scope to Cataclysm, check out Blitz! A World in Conflict. Good luck in your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archie Thornton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot Stephen.
Yes, I'm happy to try some that are not specifically solitaire designed.
I'll have a search through those recommendations.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game without hidden info can be solod
Any of the Simonitch games like France '40, Ardennes '44, to MMP monsters like The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches and Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WW1, check if Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse are what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archie Thornton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of the Ottoman/Hapsburg games. They look interesting. Think I'm veering towards trying Blitz World in Conflict. Saw it in a game store in Glasgow today for £90, ouch!
Will try and pick up second hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Enemy Action: Ardennes and Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archie Thornton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, I considered Unconditional Surrender and have P500'd the next edition but just not sure if I have the table space for it to be honest. It does look hella good though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.