Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rulebook v4m rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest version of the rulebook is now online. (It's version 4m because 4l looks too much like 41.)

Added the full rendezvous testing action that we've been talking about. (p30)
This is just a shortcut to avoid infinitely docking and undocking to test Rendezvous. It doesn't meaningfully change the decisions you'd make in the game, it just saves time and shuffling for everyone at the table.

Reworded local conditions to avoid giving away information about where alien technology might be found. (p31)
Those of you who have looked through all the cards or played enough know exactly where this can be found, but for those who prefer fewer spoilers, the rulebook now avoids mentioning the location.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Out of curiosity, is it possible to purchase revised rulebooks for Leaving Earth? I know they're available for free online as pdfs, but given the option, I definitely prefer to have physical copies of these kinds of things.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fadeout4 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it possible to purchase revised rulebooks for Leaving Earth? I know they're available for free online as pdfs, but given the option, I definitely prefer to have physical copies of these kinds of things.

I'll talk to the boss about making them available.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
I'll talk to the boss about making them available.
How about talking to the boss about being able to buy extra sets of just the Location Cards? I would love to laminate mine, given that I have trouble finding card sleeves, but in case something goes wrong, I'd like to be able to get another set.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
buffalohat wrote:
I'll talk to the boss about making them available.
How about talking to the boss about being able to buy extra sets of just the Location Cards? I would love to laminate mine, given that I have trouble finding card sleeves, but in case something goes wrong, I'd like to be able to get another set.

Will do.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to both of the above, and a request to consider making extra component cards (or card sets) available.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Fadeout4 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it possible to purchase revised rulebooks for Leaving Earth? I know they're available for free online as pdfs, but given the option, I definitely prefer to have physical copies of these kinds of things.

I'll talk to the boss about making them available.


I'd definitely purchase an updated rulebook (good idea).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My order just went into production a few fays ago.

Will ot come with the updated rulebook?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cheaper, at least in terms of shipping, to bundle the latest hardcopy of rules with the Stations Expansion.

Another idea as far as the locations tiles, how about a "deluxe" set on some sort of wood or plastic, maybe 1/8th inch thick, like a good coaster or something
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
My order just went into production a few fays ago.

Will ot come with the updated rulebook?


This version of the rulebook (v4m) probably won't be in production for several weeks.

When one of our games is produced, the items in it generally started in the pipeline at least a week earlier, often more than that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for such a quick reply.

We can't wait to try the game. thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
buffalohat wrote:
Fadeout4 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it possible to purchase revised rulebooks for Leaving Earth? I know they're available for free online as pdfs, but given the option, I definitely prefer to have physical copies of these kinds of things.

I'll talk to the boss about making them available.


Thank you, I'd like to purchase one as well. For the updated rules of course. The salsa spill has nothing to do with it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you don't seem to label your printed rulebook with the version number, and since I just recently bought the game from the website, how do I know whether any changes have been made since the printed manual I have?

I spent my whole life working for Defense contractors and they had a couple of techniques to handle this. First, they had change tracking software. That's not viable here unless you wanted to send out word documents.

BUT we also had change log summaries in the front of the document, showing what had changed with each new version. That would be intractable here too but what you could do is show the changes from the last printed manual in summary. I note the version of my manual is shown on the last page v4m.

Maybe maintaining that change log on your site or in the living manual would be useful?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Since you don't seem to label your printed rulebook with the version number, and since I just recently bought the game from the website, how do I know whether any changes have been made since the printed manual I have?

I spent my whole life working for Defense contractors and they had a couple of techniques to handle this. First, they had change tracking software. That's not viable here unless you wanted to send out word documents.

BUT we also had change log summaries in the front of the document, showing what had changed with each new version. That would be intractable here too but what you could do is show the changes from the last printed manual in summary. I note the version of my manual is shown on the last page v4m.

Maybe maintaining that change log on your site or in the living manual would be useful?
Printed books have the version number on the last page, very last sentence. Little bit hidden in the paragraph about what typeface is used, but its' there.

Changes to each version are posted here on BGG in threads just like this one.

EDIT: Obviously I didn't read the post clearly enough before replying, you already found the version printed in the book despite claiming it isn't there?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.