Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Nurturing the seed of a gaming addition... what comes after "Ticket To Ride" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Introduced two groups of friends into board games, we started with something nice and simple "Ticket To Ride" which was praised by both groups.

Whats my next step without scaring them off ?

One group has 3 players, so i'm thinking Pandemic (but just the core game, no expansions) but the other group is 5 players so pandemic is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Race for the Galaxy second. Don't do that. Disaster

Dominion was a pretty good second game though. Gave them a new gaming concept and was fast and casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
From your collection:

King of Tokyo
Sheriff of Nottingham,
Kakerlaken Poker,
Shadows over Camelot,
Coup

all seem like viable choices for the second group (>5), and for the first group as well, for that matter.

Edit: I personally don't recommend Dominion for groups larger than 4, because I dislike how much downtime is introduced into the game, as well as how the dynamic of the game changes with that many players. Others don't mind it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that the player counts of 3 and 5 are "including you", some thoughts:

I like Dominion with 3 but not with 5.

A few easy next-steps might be:

Cartagena (or coming reprint Cartagena)
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Camel Up (not my first choice for 3, though)

(see https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/574220/why-cartagena-su...)

Somewhat more complex but still common "starter games" are these:

7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep
Puerto Rico
Small World

These work decently well at both 3 and 5 in my experience. (Some won't play 7 Wonders with 3 or Puerto Rico with 5, but my group is fine at those counts.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next step is to ask them if they'd like to try something new else and if they would want something a little more challenging or with more depth.
Most people will never be more then a casual gamer that like easy to learn games or games they already know.

But if the do want more. I'd still stick to easier to learn games. Quadropolis is fairly easy to learn but still has good amount of extra "Think" to it.
San Juan (second edition) is like an easier to learn Race for the Galaxy.
If they just want something with a similar difficulty to ticket to ride but different I'd go with Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say Puerto Rico is a good game to step up from TtR. IMO there is a little too much going on. As J.M. suggested, I would go with San Juan instead, it's basically Puerto Rico lite, except I think you can only play with 4. I would use that, then step up to Puerto Rico a little later once they are completely comfortable with San Juan. Another game somewhat related to those two is Citadels, I'd say the difficulty is right around the level of San Juan, it involves role selection.

Dominion is another good suggestion. Simple enough to learn, but gives a lot of options for playstyles and learning how to optimize your play.

If you are already thinking of Pandemic, go ahead and pull the trigger on that one. If they enjoy it, I would highly recommend getting On the Brink, if only for the extra roles and events. Those alone make the expansion worth it for the extra variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
From your collection:

King of Tokyo
Sheriff of Nottingham,
Kakerlaken Poker,
Shadows over Camelot,
Coup

all seem like viable choices for the second group (>5), and for the first group as well, for that matter.

Edit: I personally don't recommend Dominion for groups larger than 4, because I dislike how much downtime is introduced into the game, as well as how the dynamic of the game changes with that many players. Others don't mind it though.

I'd also add Mysterium and Pandemic to that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul was one of the earlier games I got into. It plays well with 3 (a bit loose) and 5 (though tighter). Turns move fast, games usually come in at the 1 hour mark with 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If I ever design a game I'm going to call it, "But she don't care."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Europe.

As someone who is mostly in the Ticket to Ride myself, I could see myself playing King of Tokyo. Coup, Mysterium (though that probably could go before TTR, Sheriff of Nottingham and Pandemic if I were interested much in those. Don't know how Carcassonne Starwars plays, but the regular is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Pandemic is fine and toss in the Into the Brink for the 5th player. Terraforming Mars is a good one too, it can be played with 5 as well. If you want some fun Zombicide works too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a five player Co-Op I'd go with Flash Point: Fire Rescue. I think it's a better game then base Pandemic even with less players. I like that the threats come out more randomly so it's not as predictable and the theme comes through as lot stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PA
Canada
Rouyn-noranda
Qc
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is not a starter game and i wouldn't recommend it. Go with 7 wonders for your 5player group.

You can try carcasonne/pandemic with the other.

Hanabi is a good filler, not too hard to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Gibbs
United States
flag msg tools
I just recently introduced two of my friends who love Ticket to Ride but haven't played anything else to a bunch of new games (https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/225304/introducing-modern...)

Their favorites were Splendor, Cinque Terre (very similar to Ticket to Ride), Istanbul, Biblios, Catan, Saloon Tycoon, Pandemic, Concept, Codenames and Sushi Go. Neither of them cared for Dominion but it was one of my favorites when I first got into the hobby so your group's mileage may vary on that one. They also really enjoyed Room 25 Ultimate which can play 5 players for coop.

I think Carcassone and 7 Wonders are also good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra, Quadropolis or Bärenpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One possibility is Airlines Europe. By the same designer as "Ticket to Ride" but, I think, a more thoughtful and interesting game while retaining many similarities with TtR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alan,

So really at this point in the thread, we have three questions:

1) Do you want to use games you already have? Or use this as an excuse to buy more?
2) Do you really want to use the same game for both groups? Or bite the bullet and try something different for each?
3) For a next-step, do you want something harder/more involved? Or just something different?

San Juan & Splendor are best with two or three; they'll play four; and they can't play five. Citadels, on the other hand, I wouldn't play with three, but it does five just fine.

This thread in General Gaming may be helpful as it evolves: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1779003/tgif-poll-384-n...

...and question 4 might be

4) what other experience do your groups have? video games? RPGs? anything comparable to boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
Hey Alan,

So really at this point in the thread, we have three questions:

1) Do you want to use games you already have? Or use this as an excuse to buy more?
2) Do you really want to use the same game for both groups? Or bite the bullet and try something different for each?
3) For a next-step, do you want something harder/more involved? Or just something different?

San Juan & Splendor are best with two or three; they'll play four; and they can't play five. Citadels, on the other hand, I wouldn't play with three, but it does five just fine.

This thread in General Gaming may be helpful as it evolves: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1779003/tgif-poll-384-n...

...and question 4 might be

4) what other experience do your groups have? video games? RPGs? anything comparable to boardgames?

1) Oh, fair cop, you got me. If there is a chance to buy something new, im all over it, actually this is my preferred route
2) The same games is fine, the groups are a long way apart, I was just concerned about availability of some games (ie Pandemic is fine with 3 but not advisable with 5)
3) Something with simple, easy to grasp rules (like Ticket To Ride) but in a different theme or play style (like King of Tokyo suggested above)
4) One group has NO EXPERIENCE (aside from Monopoly) and the other group is a little better and ventured outside the classics a few times but nothing to far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think King of Tokyo and Carcassonne are 2 great next steps in the gaming progression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
The Count likes his tea
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people start with Catan.

I played it first maaaany years ago and it was one of the first games I bought when I seriously got into the hobby. My second and third games were Ticket to Ride and Dominion respectively.

Dominion is a TON of fun and there is SO much replay-ability. It really developed my love of deck builders.

My groups favorite game is Salem 1692. We play it constantly. Its easy to pick up and play and you can play a bunch of games in a night. Maybe look into that.
Plus...its only like $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lettner
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm pretty new to board games as I've just started getting games over the past year and playing over the last two years so I still mainly play lighter games (especially since it's usually with my wife and 7yo).

I'd agree with ones people have listed:
Ticket to Ride: Europe adds more complexity but same gam
TtR: UK is great with 3 and adds technology
Dominion- Played more than any other than TtR and KoT
King of Tokyo is a lot of simple fun
Carcassone& Qwirkleis what we play with family that doesn't play games
Takenoko- I recently played and great fun with 3
Shadows over Camelot is great team game for your 5 player group, just you'll have to help through
Small World & Alhambrawas my next step games that I love yet simple enough.
Forbidden Dessert would be good with 3 or 5. I just played it for the first time the other day.
Formula D would be great for the 5 if you like racing and rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yenkin2001 wrote:
I think Pandemic is fine and toss in the Into the Brink for the 5th player. Terraforming Mars is a good one too, it can be played with 5 as well. If you want some fun Zombicide works too.

surprise

When someone tells me they literally just got into the hobby and are looking for something a step up from TTR, Terraforming Mars is *not* one that comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always had great success with Mysterium with 5 players. If they are a more confrontational bunch, Cosmic Encounter could be good (I like it with 3). Power Grid could work, as well as Colosseum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
Catan
Carcassonne
Dominion
Pandemic: The Cure (5 players)
Royals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.