Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Setup time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh A
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the setup time for Scythe similar to Eclipse? It's hard for me to get Eclipse to the table due to the setup and tear down time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a little time to setup but not bad. But if you want to get it out really quickly you should get the quick setup insert by Daedalous. I absolutely love mine! game is out and ready in a mater of a few minutes. Added plus is its a really sexy insert, but you do have to assemble it.


http://www.daedalusproductionsinc.com/product/quick-start-in...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grossman
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as long to set up as Eclipse. It probably takes me about half the time to set-up Scythe (~15 to 20 minutes) as it does to set up Eclipse with all of its expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jauggy wrote:
Is the setup time for Scythe similar to Eclipse? It's hard for me to get Eclipse to the table due to the setup and tear down time.


Set up time for Scythe isn't bad at all. I have other games that take way longer to set up - such as Trajan, Istanbul, Kanban. Scythe is fairly quick - especially if you have players set up their own individual player mats.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frey
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:

Set up time for Scythe isn't bad at all. I have other games that take way longer to set up - such as Trajan, Istanbul, Kanban. Scythe is fairly quick - especially if you have players set up their own individual player mats.


I agree, I can setup Scythe in less than 10 min.
After playing it a few times, it all just makes sense, thats what i love about it.

I dont use any aftermarket insert, just a couple extra SM plastic trays in addition to the 2 that came with it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Broken Token insert I could easily set it up in 5 minutes, if each player takes their faction box and sets up their own boards. Inserts make a huge difference on set up, and take down is not unenjoyable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seamus1 wrote:
With the Broken Token insert I could easily set it up in 5 minutes, if each player takes their faction box and sets up their own boards. Inserts make a huge difference on set up, and take down is not unenjoyable.


Inserts are really nice but not a necessity for quick set up. Organized baggies work just as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrey wrote:

I dont use any aftermarket insert, just a couple extra SM plastic trays in addition to the 2 that came with it.


Me too!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:
Seamus1 wrote:
With the Broken Token insert I could easily set it up in 5 minutes, if each player takes their faction box and sets up their own boards. Inserts make a huge difference on set up, and take down is not unenjoyable.


Inserts are really nice but not a necessity for quick set up. Organized baggies work just as well.


They dont work "just as well". They may work "fine" and be sufficient to your needs. But the inserts work better most of the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
5 - 10 minutes with 4 hands

meeplemeeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
With newbies, I like to set their boards up for them. I feel like it cuts down a bit on the "what is going on here chaos" In those cases, it can feel like it takes a bit. Setup your board, setup player 2, setup player3...

But with people who have played, they get the bag of stuff. Then it is just Empty the box, Shuffle 3 decks, pick a building bonus and setup your board.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kinne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipwilson wrote:
With newbies, I like to set their boards up for them. I feel like it cuts down a bit on the "what is going on here chaos" In those cases, it can feel like it takes a bit. Setup your board, setup player 2, setup player3...

But with people who have played, they get the bag of stuff. Then it is just Empty the box, Shuffle 3 decks, pick a building bonus and setup your board.

Actually, when I first played it and was told to set up my player mat myself, etc, I felt it was pretty quick and helped me understand what there is in the game. Yes, it's a lot, or seems like a lot, but it helped me grasp the rules quicker.

Anyway, if everyone does their bit, the game is set up in 5-10 minutes.

In fact, while one of use has finished their board and has gone to make a coffee for us, another player can set up the encounter tokens, etc. So we tend to take it quite slowly and yet get it done really quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get people to choose factions/player-boards first and give them their own pieces to setup on their board, in a well organised box, it takes less than 10 minutes to setup the entire game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.