Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbie Hopkins
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my pilot and co-pilot just died by the same plane on the same attack. He sprayed the side of the Miss Jane something fierce. What now? Does the Engineer jump in to solo it (we are still two zones from home).
Swear I'll never let my wife do the rolling again.
Any and all help appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, see 14.2.C in the rules.

I think that the notes below G-10 also apply to G-9, specifically note f).

You might want to consider having the crew bail while you circle the airfield and have the engineer land by himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Rule 14.2 d states, "Only during an emergency can a single man fly a B-17 for an extended length of time." I have interpreted this as requiring two people handling the controls so long as two are available, with the exception of allowing one person to try and land at a significant penalty. So, if both the Pilot and Co-Pilot are out of action, then the Engineer and another crewman must take over those positions so long as there are at least two crewman still functioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Hopkins
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea! Seems like in real life this would be hard if both pilots all of a sudden died. Wouldn't the plane nose dive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptRoboto wrote:
Good idea! Seems like in real life this would be hard if both pilots all of a sudden died. Wouldn't the plane nose dive?

Depends; if neither pilot slumped over onto the controls or otherwise inadvertently changed the plane's course upon their demise, and if the big Boeing was flying more or less straight and level at the time of the pilot's death, then it's reasonable that the plane would keep flying straight and level for the seconds or minutes it would take for the engineer to remove the bodies and take over the controls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Hopkins
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about how B-17s work so that's cool that they could fly by themselves for a bit.
The weather is good in this zone so shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptRoboto wrote:
I don't know much about how B-17s work so that's cool that they could fly by themselves for a bit.

The B-17, like most aircraft, is designed to be inherently stable about 3 axes. So if the B-17 was trimmed for straight and level flight, and both pilots were incapacitated in such a manner that they did not exert pressure on the control column or the rudder pedals, than the plane would definitely fly fairly straight an level until internal or external forces acted upon it. This with the caveat that the damage that has incapacitated the pilots has also not damaged the plane to the point where it's out of trim.

The hard part is landing, and also with high performance planes like military aircraft, not burning up the motors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Hopkins
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atleiker wrote:
CptRoboto wrote:

the plane would definitely fly fairly straight an level until internal or external forces acted upon it.

This makes me think there should be a d6 roll when something like this happens to see if the pilot hits the column hard sending the plane off course. Would make it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
atleiker wrote:
The hard part is landing

Safely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided, as a personal house rule, that if I got this result while either (1) taking evasive actions or (2) if the autopilot had been previously destroyed; that the result would be out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Yep, see 14.2.C in the rules.

I think that the notes below G-10 also apply to G-9, specifically note f).

You might want to consider having the crew bail while you circle the airfield and have the engineer land by himself.

I did have this occur once and the Engineer remained bravely onboard while the remaining crew bailed out.

Miraculously he did land the plane but it was Cat-E anyway.

As a side to this.... if the plane is going to be Cat-E anyway should (can?) the entire crew bail for safety or does someone have to risk their life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robkoch2112 wrote:
As a side to this.... if the plane is going to be Cat-E anyway should (can?) the entire crew bail for safety or does someone have to risk their life?

It's ok for everyone to bailout, but if seriously wounded crew is left onboard, I will try the heroic landing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had this happen to me in our 281st PBM. Both the Pilot and Co-Pilot were seriously wounded. By friendly fire!!!!

Engineer took over and I was able to throw a 12 and he brought it home, albeit a Cat E wreck!!

Good luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me over the weekend and since the Pilot, Copilot and Engineer were all either KIA or SW I had the Navigator flying and the copilot seat was revolving with either the radio operator or eventually a waist gunner occupying that position. In the end I only had half of my crew still effective so we could only fly the plane and man the nose, top turret, and ball turret once the tail oxy was knocked out. Needless to say after miraculously making back to England I had them all bail out since I would have landed with a cumulative modifier of -16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.