Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
There are some cards that move you and do damage to you (Like Sandstorm).

If you are at a Safety Bubble (or Elemental Treaty or whatever works), and you suffer an effect that moves you and deals you damage (or deals you damage when you move)...

Does the Bubble protect you if you start at the Bubble before moving?

Otherwise it would have to protect you if you move TOO the Bubbles location Im sure.

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good question, but I think it comes down to the specifics of the card in question. It should be clear (well, relatively clear) if the damage occurs before or after you move.

If you give the exact text of a card you are concerned about, that'd be helpful.

For example: the villain Sandstorm actually doesn't do any damage. You could suffer damage when a Sandstorm moves you to a location and causes you to examine the new location's deck, exposing a trigger, which causes damage -- but obviously that damage is incurred at the new location.

Maybe you are thinking of the Sandstorm Roc? I don't have the exact text, but I think it is something like this:

Sandstorm Roc wrote:
Before you act, each other character at your location must succeed at a Strength or Fortitude 7 check or move to a random other location then be dealt 1 Ranged Combat damage.

Again, that's clear when (and so where) the damage occurs.

Finally -- the rule is:

Mummy's Mask rulebook p.29 wrote:
Don’t start a new process until you’ve finished the last one. (That said, if the game doesn’t specify an order for things, you decide the order.)

So, if moving and suffering damage appear to happen at the same time, you choose the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Ill have to check the text next time I get a chance but Im not the game owner so I cant look right now.

It was a scenario that has Sandstorms in the Blessing deck. When a Sandstorm was drawn each player is moved to a random location. And when a player is moved this way they take d4 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm still not recalling what you're talking about.

I think Sandstorms can end up in the blessings deck in more than one scenario. (They're a B card so they don't violate the the Afghanistan Principle.)

The first one is B-2, A Sandstorm of A Malevolent Will. There's nothing in that scenario about a d4 damage when you move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, got it.

The scenario is 6-C, Crypt of Air.

Crypt of Air wrote:
When a Sandstorm causes you to move, you are dealt 1d4 Electricity damage.

Hmmm. This really is not clear.

I'm thinking the rules lawyers on the Paizo forum will have a clear ruling on this, so I cross-posted the question there.

But, in the playtest forum I found a play-by-post where a player interpreted the Safety Bubble as protecting you at the location you move FROM. Keith Richmond, a designer of the game, was in the PBP, and didn't correct him, so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This engendered a rather technical debate on the Paizo rules forum.

The discussion got pretty murky, but the guy in charge at Paizo, Vic Wertz, pretty much ended it by saying the intention is for the damage to occur after you arrive at the new location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.