Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: HoTC question : Protect action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
I'm a bit confused about the protect action. Can it be used on any mission, or only in some cases, as in the mission with the hwk-290?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the mission has to tell you that you can use it, explicitly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
My understanding is that the mission has to tell you that you can use it, explicitly.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Protect action is generally designed to help an NPC ship. However, in the spirit of teamwork, I don't see why you could not allow a ship to do a protect on a squadmate. That question has never come up in our games yet, but if it did, I think that's how I would play it.

House rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used "Protect any squad-mate" as a house rule for our entire last campaign, and it worked just fine. No balance issues at all, and it's really nice giving an ExpInt- or PTL-equipped squad-leader another way to protect his pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Protect is mission (and target) specific only.

This was mostly done because there are some exploitable edge cases related to how the AI determines its attack targets. Imagine a squad of Y-wings with an A-wing on point to draw fire - that gets really dumb if the Y-wings are also using Protect actions on the A-wing to give it a bunch of Evade tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but a couple of things:

(1) Since you released HotAC, the rules changed to only use one token per attack.

(2) It's fairly tough for A-wings and Y-wings to stay together for more than one exchange like this.

(3) Finally ... A-wing. Arguably the least powerful ship in the campaign.

Bonus (4) If your group isn't pooling XP, those Y-wings are racking up assist and damage XP, while the A-wing is getting bupkis. There aren't too many players that'll be terribly happy with that. (Again, assuming non-pooled XP.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.