Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first two games of Rum & Bones and was...underwhelmed.

Was that it? Did I miss something?

The deckhands just moved forward and bunched up near their opposite objective and then just stood there waiting to be killed. The first player had a DISTINCT advantage in shooting up all the opposition's deckhands. We switched both times and each time the first player was the winner...no matter who it was. All a hero has to do is 'rig' over to be in between two objectives and then just use all his actions the next turn to attack one, then the other. 1, 2, 3 objectives and that's it.

You have to really try to play kraken cards to get the kraken to come out, but with only three cards at a time...it never happened.

All go on one side. Then all go on the other side. Rinse...repeat... After a while, it felt pretty dry.

I want to like this game. All in all...it was slog. I kept waiting for something to happen. Am I missing something in the rules? Do the expansions add anything?

The game was just...dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're new to this KrapStarter thing, aren't you ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
You're playing the original R&B, I take it? The Second Tide ruleset brightens up the game considerably, shortening overall playtime and increasing player interplay by alternating Hero activations instead of the long turns of the first version.

All that said, it's still a skirmish combat game and those aren't for everyone. Whether a grid-based boardgame like this, or a miniatures wargame played with rulers, and everything in between, it's a polarizing genre. Some people can play games like this for hours, day after day. Other people don't see the appeal at all.

If you think there were hints of something interesting, try out the Second Tide rules. But if it's simply not your jam, it's not the right game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
You're new to this KrapStarter thing, aren't you ?

Hackneyed insult. Zero constructive content. I give this post 0 out of 5 stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
I just finished my first two games of Rum & Bones and was...underwhelmed.

Was that it? Did I miss something?

The deckhands just moved forward and bunched up near their opposite objective and then just stood there waiting to be killed. The first player had a DISTINCT advantage in shooting up all the opposition's deckhands. We switched both times and each time the first player was the winner...no matter who it was. All a hero has to do is 'rig' over to be in between two objectives and then just use all his actions the next turn to attack one, then the other. 1, 2, 3 objectives and that's it.

You have to really try to play kraken cards to get the kraken to come out, but with only three cards at a time...it never happened.

All go on one side. Then all go on the other side. Rinse...repeat... After a while, it felt pretty dry.

I want to like this game. All in all...it was slog. I kept waiting for something to happen. Am I missing something in the rules? Do the expansions add anything?

The game was just...dull.

Dude, you played the first rulest, which was indeed underhwelming. The second tide rule set is much much better.

Do your research, play current versions :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, indeed. This was not Second Tide. It was the first version. It has been sitting on my shelf for a while and I wanted to try it out.

We read the rules and gave it a go. I prefer to play games 'cold', without reading other folks reactions because I don't want any judgments clouded by what I watched/read. The style of game was no problem. As we played, I saw what CMON was going for. I'm a miniatures painter and wargamer from way back when. Playing for hours is no problem, neither is moving masses of miniatures around. The game appeared to have everything in my wheel house...

...It's just that nothing ever happened. No excitement. No build-up. No endgame.

Nothing.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. It looks fairly obvious that I had the same reaction that most had about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the problem is that people may not have been going for objectives fast enough.

But yes as other's say, Second Tide improves it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all we did was go for the objectives. It was: move to the railing, rigging move, pound objectives. There was no need for the heroes to even move around after that. After this it was just a race of dice rolls to destroy objectives.

That was essentially all there was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrel
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Tide lowered the hit points on objectives and added points for KOing heroes. It also changes to alternating activation of heroes. It makes a huge difference. Even if you don't have the second tide characters you can still use the rules to play the first edition, just ignore all the leveling stuff.
https://cmon-files.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/assets_item/resource...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a shot. I was hoping the new rules would be backward compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrel
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try the new rules and find you like the game that way you can get the Rum & Bones: Second Tide – Season One Upgrade Kit. At $20 it gives you decks and character cards for all the first edition factions.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comamonkey wrote:
If you try the new rules and find you like the game that way you can get the Rum & Bones: Second Tide – Season One Upgrade Kit. At $20 it gives you decks and character cards for all the first edition factions.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...

That's what I was hoping for! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Keller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I would also suggest playing it with four people. Sometimes the added drama of hoping your team does what you want and doesn't fail their rolls can add to the experience.

I think the Kraken came out in 50-75% of my games from the first one, though, so in your games, is nobody defending their own ship? You can move back and forth as Heroes and can retreat to defend...

Personally, I play it like I play MOBAs, and have fun every team - but Second Tide is better by a large magnitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.