Hide
4 Posts

Carcosa» Forums » General

Subject: Are there similarities to Carcassonne? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Reading what is available on this game (which is very little right now), I got a feeling it might be based on the same rules as Carcassonne...
Is that true? (Hopefully not...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcosa-onne?

I'm not completely opposed to the idea as long as they have added enough to make it more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Kennington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Asaf,

It sounds like you're not going to like this answer, but yes - the basic mechanics of placing a tile, matching the landscape and deploying your cultists are the same as Carcassonne but...

What you get from completing areas, how you select tiles from a shifting set of stacks, how your cultists are deployed and returned and the victory conditions are all different.

In addition it adds a strategic layer of hidden information (all tiles are double sided and hide stuff worth fighting for but only the player who placed that tile knows exactly what is on the other side), it includes rituals you can power up and then cast that allow you to modify gameplay in various ways and I've never played a game of Carcassonne where your dudes are in danger of being driven mad or devoured.

Finally, we've had both people who hate Carcassonne play Carcosa and love it and people who love Carcassonne have a demo and decide its not for them, so from both ends of the spectrum its been judged as different enough!

You're obviously welcome to make up your own mind, but hopefully you will see that Carcosa is different enough to be it's own beast.

We will be releasing the full rulebook in the Kickstarter as well as a free Tabletop Simulator version so you should have plenty of opportunity to make an informed decision - we don't want anyone to feel they've been tricked or misled about what they are getting with Carcosa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Thanks for the detailed answer.
I will test the game with Tabletop Simulator, your description did keep me curious.
I'm not a fan of Carcassonne but I don't hate it either, and I hope I'll like your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.