Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
SON OF A BITCH MUST PAY
mbmbmbmbmb
The GF9 account on Facebook posted the following this morning

"Due to some unforseen circumstances I can't go into, the expansions are now going into print. From past experience this can then take up to 2 months from now to get to us here in the UK, and then we can get on with sending them out to stores."

I dunno if that's a specific issue to the UK or not, but there it is anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find that on Facebook. If true, it is at least some solid information on the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Feeney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's a comment from GF9 in response to a post about the UK Games Expo. The full quote is:

"Morning all - apologies for not getting back on yesterday but as I mentioned, it can take some time to get an answer, however I have a little more info. Due to some unforseen circumstances I can't go into, the expansions are now going into print. From past experience this can then take up to 2 months from now to get to us here in the UK, and then we can get on with sending them out to stores.

@D.J.Babb - I agree with you, and hope that you can see us trying to improve in this area, but please bear in mind that miraculous change doesn't happen overnight and we'll probably make a few mistakes along the way, but we are trying to improve on this area. Once again folks, thanks for your patience."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[geekurl=https://www.facebook.com/GaleForceNine/posts/781518238683230?comment_id=782616721906715]Here[/geekurl] is the direct link to the comment in question.

EDIT: Well I don't know why that isn't displaying correctly, but you can copy and paste it into another tab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ugh...sounds like May is more like August...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:

My thoughts exactly, and September isn't impossible either (EDIT: between customs hold ups, distributor issues, etc. GF9 products could be moving along and still late).

But if (and I stress "if") their information is accurate, we really are closing in on the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazbowski wrote:
"Due to some unforseen circumstances I can't go into

What is he talking about? I thought Chinese New Year was the culprit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

Is that actually quoted anywhere, or speculation based on vague wording?

Regardless....

The only constant truth in all of this is that GF9 -wants- to get their stuff to market ASAP.

That they can't get -anything- out implies to me it's probably not licensing ("we want to print stuff for X, Y and Z licenses, but we can't because A license is holding us up" indicates either crippling tight finances or a lie), or printing/shipping (the chances of GF9 being the -only- company impacted by a bad printer/shipper seem slim).

Now, there probably have been a series of unfortunate events to hit GF9 in succession. The designer for STA died late last year for starters! And CNY does hit production hard. But that doesn't explain why stuff promoted for last summer didn't materialize.

My guess is GF9 basically nearly died last Spring/Summer, barely getting Tryants and Star Trek out the door before the problems hit. What was the problem? Somebody in company (either GF9 or their parent company) bled them of their money. It happens. Granted, true or not it doesn't change where things are today, so knowing what went wrong won't help.

Knowing what's being done today though would help rebuild trust and fan goodwill. And I think GF9 has just about burned up what they had earned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

I don't have a link to it, but it was definitely something they explicitly said in an update at one point. Not an exact quote, but "For reasons beyond our control it did not get in to the production queue before the Chinese New Year."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
San Dee Jota wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

I don't have a link to it, but it was definitely something they explicitly said in an update at one point. Not an exact quote, but "For reasons beyond our control it did not get in to the production queue before the Chinese New Year."

Ugh.

I'd -love- to see that quote, but my willingness to believe what they say is dwindling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it was also in one of their facebook quotes or quoted from someone's response from battlefront/gf9 support

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Announcements are on the their Facebook page.
Just scroll down, expansions hyped since Sept, 2016 laugh

Statements on ST;A are few and far between, Battlefront/GF9
has way more going than they can manage whistle

Therein may be the simple answer_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:

Going into print? Take 2 months, then ship via slow boat to worker striked ports, another 2 months.

I actually wonder if 2017 is even a possibility. Well I guess GF9 was using Fiscal Year instead of Calendar Year. It wasn't early 2017 such as January. It was 1st qtr FY-2017-2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
The last news I heard was this thread that said end of May. But printing is just starting? Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
So GaleForce Nine lied when they said the delay was due to production issues around Chinese New Year.

If things haven't even gone to print until now, they absolutely lied to us in February when they said:

Quote:
Due to some production delays at the end of January the two Star Trek: Ascendancy player expansions, Cardassian Union and Ferengi Alliance as well as the Tyrants of the Underdark Aberrations & Undead expansion did not leave our factories before the Chinese New Year shutdown as planned. This time of the year has a three week period where all Chinese factories close for a long holiday and re-open next week. We are awaiting confirmation of when the product can be collected for shipping and as soon as we have a firm date we will let you know. This is a seasonal issue for all companies using plants in China and we are sorry for the delay.

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=227&art_id=5538

I want a response from these scumbags. They have been holding customer money from preorders for almost a year now while explicitly lying to the people they are ripping off.

This is goddamn ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must confess I really do not understand this.

I may have missed something, but as I understood it back in late summer/early fall 2016, the base game was released with the Ferengi and Cardassian expansions cited as being released in Q3/Q4 2016.

I got the base game (pre-order) and pre-ordered the above two expansions. First, I read that there was a delay due to the Chinese New Year (February 2017). Now, I read that the expansions are going to the printer.

So, did GF9 advertise their release in 2016 when they hadn't even got them as far as the printers? And if they were delayed due to the Chinese New Year, it would seem that reason is moot because only now have they been sent to the printer.

I must be missing something here (if I have, could someone please point out the gap in my understanding?). As I have read things, nothing seems to make any sense. I am glad I cancelled my pre-orders. I won't ever tie up any cash in a GF9 pre-order again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Godhead wrote:
I want a response from these scumbags. They have been holding customer money from preorders for almost a year now while explicitly lying to the people they are ripping off.

I agree with most of what you say, except....

Unless you preordered directly through them, they aren't holding your money at all and aren't ripping you off. It's your retailer that took the money, and they're the ones who you have to ask for a refund from (and they should honor it, since they haven't bought anything from the distributors yet, and the distributors generally don't do preorders as we understand them).

They -are- jerking around fans, retailers, and distributors however. And asking for a cancellation/refund of your pre-order is a strong way to tell retailers "GF9 may be more trouble than they're worth", an attitude which can trickle up to the distributors.

Of course, getting retailers and distributors to drop GF9 is a great way to ensure we never see any further expansions, so.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Ridehalgh
msg tools
Unbelievable

As I've said before to have these ready for an Oct 16 release they would have had to go to print Aug 16.

To find out they have only just gone to print May 17 is just disgusting.

They did cite Chinese new year on their facebook page back in Feb as the reason why they hadn't yet shipped.

Its been long silences with the occasional lie for what 9 months now?

They must have suffered serious financial woes at some point for this mess to have transpired.

Its just so frustrating to have been promised so much because with the expansions this game really is going to be great.

Right now the game plays like a great movie but with no sound.

Just read all the comments on facebook, still not happy but I'm glad they are getting a public roasting and getting called out on all the lies. Fan rage can lead to better future service - hopefully

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ever since GF9 sent me a free, unsolicited copy of ST:A for my birthday last year, I've been a stalwart defender of theirs; their game is incredible (easily the best Star Trek game I've ever played), and their generosity in sending me, a no-name fan, such a gift just left me speechless.

But this... I mean, delays are one thing, but I can't think of a reasonable explanation for a product just going to print 8 months after it was supposed to be released. This is unprecedented, even for a company infamous for their product delays (as GF9 is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
With them not being able to discuss what's going on, it suggests legal matters?

The add-on packs being produced in Malaysia is strange too. Fall out with supplier/supplier out of business?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it must have been a series of setbacks that is causing the huge delay.
the first one i think is caused by the hanjin shipping co going broke last year, i presume the expansions where actually printed and onboard one of their ships, but due to bankrupty some ships and goods have been taken into custody/chained in port by creditors so never got to their destination, or didnt get unloaded as the docks feared not getting paid for it. or are simply stuck in the bankruptcy procedure.

GF9 might have hoped to get them released and waited for it too long before ordering a reprint is my best guess, where then chinese new year comes into play.
and along the way had to change manufacturer as well?

its all speculation of course but seems probable enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
More disappointment. I actually got to play the Cardassians at Gen Con last year. I've gotten the game to the table once since then since we almost always have four people at our game sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
cheng wrote:
San Dee Jota wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

Ugh.

I'd -love- to see that quote, but my willingness to believe what they say is dwindling.

It was posted right on their official website for months. The excuse about Chinese New Year causing the delay was their go to answer since February and only just recently changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Godhead wrote:
So GaleForce Nine lied when they said the delay was due to production issues around Chinese New Year.

If things haven't even gone to print until now, they absolutely lied to us in February when they said:

Quote:
Due to some production delays at the end of January the two Star Trek: Ascendancy player expansions, Cardassian Union and Ferengi Alliance as well as the Tyrants of the Underdark Aberrations & Undead expansion did not leave our factories before the Chinese New Year shutdown as planned. This time of the year has a three week period where all Chinese factories close for a long holiday and re-open next week. We are awaiting confirmation of when the product can be collected for shipping and as soon as we have a firm date we will let you know. This is a seasonal issue for all companies using plants in China and we are sorry for the delay.

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=227&art_id=5538

Well, in their defense, exactly as they worded it "expansion did not leave our factories before the Chinese New Year shutdown". They did not leave the factory before CNY, so it wasn't exactly a lie. On that same note, they didn't specify in what year they were supposed to leave the factory by CNY...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
I must confess I really do not understand this.

I may have missed something, but as I understood it back in late summer/early fall 2016, the base game was released with the Ferengi and Cardassian expansions cited as being released in Q3/Q4 2016.

I got the base game (pre-order) and pre-ordered the above two expansions. First, I read that there was a delay due to the Chinese New Year (February 2017). Now, I read that the expansions are going to the printer.

So, did GF9 advertise their release in 2016 when they hadn't even got them as far as the printers? And if they were delayed due to the Chinese New Year, it would seem that reason is moot because only now have they been sent to the printer.

I must be missing something here (if I have, could someone please point out the gap in my understanding?). As I have read things, nothing seems to make any sense. I am glad I cancelled my pre-orders. I won't ever tie up any cash in a GF9 pre-order again.

Welcome to preorder culture that is throught all industries wit ha global production process and one that doesn't work on money but credit AKA debt.

You are encouraged told to buy products not yet made with money you do not yet have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.