Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though long extensive reviews seem te be the most popular reviews on BGG, I myself just don't have the time or the patience to read those.
I prefer quick overviews where I can get some insights into why this game may or may not be attractive to me.
So... I'll assume there are more people like this out there, and my reviews will be targeted for that audience, and just consist of my pros and cons coming from:
1) First impressions (before playing my first game)
2) Impressions after the first game
3) Current feelings (after at least 10 plays)

First impressions:
+ This is/was (depending on when you read this review) one of six games in the BGG top 100 that is meant to be played by two players (i.e. two player exclusive) and last less than an hour, which makes it a good candidate to be enjoyed by my wife and me
Can't sell the themes of star wars x-wing or Android Netrunner to my wife, not a big fan of Patchwork or Star Realms, so that only leaves this and 7 Wonders Duel
- That cover and horrible pink insert might have turned me away for ever if I didn't value the judgement of the BGG community that put it in the BGG top 100

After my first game:
+ Most importantly: I enjoyed it - very simple rules and very short setup time, so we could start playing after only a few minutes, but still good challenge to play
- The rules don't really make sense when considering the theme; I can pick up camels for free? But then trade camels for any commodity at the same 1 for 1 rate? Maybe this shouldn't matter; when you consider it as an abstract game it is quite enjoyable gameplay, but I'm not a big fan of abstracts, and can't help being more interested when a theme feels less "pasted on"

Current feelings (17 plays into it):
+ I like the fast pace of play; and you have to keep paying attention to what your opponent is doing. No snooze time!
+ Set collection sounds easy, but timing is a critical factor in this game which makes it more interesting (grab the valuable items just before your opponent is about to)
+ Plenty of meaningful decisions to be made (e.g. getting a bunch of Camels is nice, but also creates the risk of several good cards showing up for oponent or waiting to cash in a bigger set can provide more bonus points, but increases the risk of the opponent stealing those goods before you "cash in")
- Random points for sets of 3/4/5, why not fixed? Imho this creates a needless amount of luck. There's already quite a bit of luck in drawing good cards, but this can be managed to some extent by trying to minimize the amount of newly exposed cards your opponnent can draw, but getting 6 points more on three collected sets of equal size is just pure luck.

End conclusion (well, for now):
Good game, works well for us. Liking it, but the theme and drawbacks mentioned above prevent us from loving it.

If you'd like to read more of my reviews, check out Still fun after ten plays? - All reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really do not mind the randomness of the extra points. If they were not there there would be less incentive to wait for that 5 card hand.
If the points were in descending order it would just be a race to get a three card hand and sell for the maximum amount of points, onward to pointlessness. Sure I may get six bonus points on a three card sell, but I might also get just one. I really do not see this as a con in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danduin wrote:
I really do not mind the randomness of the extra points. If they were not there there would be less incentive to wait for that 5 card hand.
If the points were in descending order it would just be a race to get a three card hand and sell for the maximum amount of points, onward to pointlessness. Sure I may get six bonus points on a three card sell, but I might also get just one. I really do not see this as a con in my opinion.

No, there could be a higher bonus for bigger sets without it being random (e.g. Always 9 points for a set of five, instead of random 8, 9 or 10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advantage of random bonus points is: you don't know your opponent's exact score.

This adds uncertainty to your calculations: you don't know exactly how many points you need to get to win. IMO this makes the game more interesting. I don't mind the trade-off of adding a bit of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
The advantage of random bonus points is: you don't know your opponent's exact score.

This adds uncertainty to your calculations: you don't know exactly how many points you need to get to win. IMO this makes the game more interesting. I don't mind the trade-off of adding a bit of luck.

I think it's more interesting if you DO know. But opinions differ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I enjoyed this game for 20 plays or so but it is so light and setup, which must be done three times for a full game, is such a pain that we hardly ever play it anymore. When we're in the mood for a lighter card game, we usually pull out Arboretum, San Juan (second edition), Oh My Goods!, Valley of the Kings, etc which have less fussing and deeper play.

I will add that Jaipur makes an excellent gateway game for couples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I like Jaipur, but it's always last pick for us as compared to other two player games like Patchwork, ACBAS, 7WD, Lost Cities, Schotten Totten, Elements, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I like Jaipur, but it's always last pick for us as compared to other two player games like Patchwork, ACBAS, 7WD, Lost Cities, Schotten Totten, Elements, etc.

Yup; that's a seven for me.. good game, but always an 8 or 9 around to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife also enjoys Jaipur.
I think that is our most played board game.

Now, I got here liking Wyatt Earp and Karuba.

If only I cold get her to like Hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
I love Jaipur for its quick play, the way it turns around who has the incentive to take the camels and reset the market, the collection of chits. Very glad to have it in my collection, and was one of two games we took back packing around Switzerland last year. Very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I had a similar opinion to several posters here about Jaipur being a good but not great game, and that there are other two player games they might turn to more often. And then I learned about and downloaded the digital (iOS) version. I have played this more times this past weekend than all plays of the physical game combined over the past two years. It takes away all of the tedium of the setup, freeing you to concentrate on exploring the nuances of the game, with a campaign option that tempts you to play 'just one more time.' And this is coming from someone who typically greatly prefers to play the physical version of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what it is about this game but my wife absolutely loves this game.

We play it at least once a weekend.
Usually it comes down to the third game too.

We are pretty even though, but she won this week.

I would say this and Splendor are our two favorite games.

That over 35 others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review. I was looking for a good 2 player game to play with my wife, and this is the perfect game for us. The strengths you mentioned are what attracts me to it, and the randomness you correctly point out is what makes the game competitive between us. With a longer history playing non-luck games I typically have the edge on tactics and strategies in games, and with the dash of luck we are on more equal footing.
The theme doesn't make a lot of sense with the camels, but I do appreciate the theme for being there as it provides an excuse for beautiful artwork and taught me about the city of Jaipur(since the game made me curious enough to do some research).

Jaipur won't be a perfect fit for everyone, but it is one of our favorites.
I really appreciate that because of the way you describe the game aside from your conclusion, the insights can help others determine if it is a good fit for them.
Thanks for the great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toothpickman wrote:
Thanks for the great review. I was looking for a good 2 player game to play with my wife, and this is the perfect game for us. The strengths you mentioned are what attracts me to it, and the randomness you correctly point out is what makes the game competitive between us. With a longer history playing non-luck games I typically have the edge on tactics and strategies in games, and with the dash of luck we are on more equal footing.
The theme doesn't make a lot of sense with the camels, but I do appreciate the theme for being there as it provides an excuse for beautiful artwork and taught me about the city of Jaipur(since the game made me curious enough to do some research).

Jaipur won't be a perfect fit for everyone, but it is one of our favorites.
I really appreciate that because of the way you describe the game aside from your conclusion, the insights can help others determine if it is a good fit for them.
Thanks for the great review!

You're very welcome! Always nice to read some positive feedback. Reminds me I have a couple of new reviews to write sometime soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.