Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sri C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney showed the play by play, and I'm sold on the theme and how it plays.
Doesn't take away from the similarity. Anyone else saw the video and thoughts on how this game feels a bit like 'The Grizzled'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That could explain why I'm attracted to it. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe slightly similar to The Grizzled. The pacing is different as The Grizzled is about hanging on for the binary effect of pass/fail. Some trauma and rollover effects occur (in addition to retaining cards in your hand) but for the most part play is about missions and moving on to the next to drain that deck.

The Lost Expedition feels more like a constant grind of resource management (I don't mean this in a bad way). It's not about hanging on to fulfill the current mission, but mitigating losses because every single negative effect makes it unlikely for you to win long term.

They do both share some commonalities, including playing cards to hurt yourself. It has that masochistic feel. This works much better solo than the Grizzled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.spielbar.com/wordpress/2017/05/27/16506
according to the designer's diary, the core mechanism comes from "6 nimmt!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
I have seen comparisons to The Grizzled here and elsewhere. Me and my friend, after first play, had an argument about this. He feels there is no comparison to Grizzled beyond the fact that it is also a co-op card game.

I tend to think that the similarities go a little further than that, in terms of the feel, the layout, the mechanic of contributing to one track/path together, without communication and hoping that the accumulation of your cards do not take you over the edge, the tactical play by play reactions and adjustments to what your teammate/s have played.

I love grizzled and think I will love this game too. But though I think there are some similarities, they are very very different. I think if you like Grizzled, you may like Lost Expedition too, but Lost Expedition has a lot more moving pieces and a is a lot puzzlier than the Grizzled. Choices in The Grizzled are limited (not in a bad way) whereas things to keep an eye on and choices to make in Lost Expedition are a little broader.

Both great in my opinion, and some minor similarities, but still quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.