Subject: Is a hotel worth it if you live in DFW? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if getting a hotel is worth it if you live within an hours drive on the convention site. I can see the upside where you don't have to drive there and back, and you can stay as late as you want, and all that jazz. What do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
mroseksi wrote:
I am wondering if getting a hotel is worth it if you live within an hours drive on the convention site. I can see the upside where you don't have to drive there and back, and you can stay as late as you want, and all that jazz. What do you all think?

It depends on how manic you are about maximizing every second of game playing time. Or avoiding the distractions of being at home. And you might like having a refuge where you can take a break during the day. I have stayed at the con hotel but now I drive a half hour each way every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like having a room. It feels great to be immersed in the con experience for 4 days straight. There are other minor things too like not having to mess with getting parking validated every day. Also, as you mentioned it does make it easier to stay up super late playing games.

To me, it wouldn't be the same con if I wasn't staying there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The convention hotel is sold out, so it's kind of a moot point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Phrim wrote:

Well, one could still get a hotel that's 10 minutes or less away vs. an hour away. It's not completely moot.

There's "in the con hotel" vs. "not in the con hotel", which is one huge hot-button issue. But "not in the con hotel" isn't all the same, and the quality of life of a short commute should be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first year I drove from home in Rockwall. I stay at the hotel now. It's not just drive time you have to account for but traffic, the nature of moving more slowly at home, knowing you have a 45 minute drive ahead of you, anything your SO will require of you to do before you leave, etc. It was 100% worth it (and more) to turn it into a mini vacation. We have four to a room so it ended up costing me about $100 for the whole weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gothic Raven
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a personal choice. My wife and I are both avid gamers. We almost always get a room, because there are several advantages:

1. You can check out games from the library overnight and play them in your room.
2. You can go recharge (nap) without leaving the con.
3. You can bring off-site food and beverages in coolers and keep them in your room.
4. If the open games areas are crowded, you can use your room to game. (For BGG Con, this problem has largely been alleviated by the xx25 rooms on the upper floors)
5. A room provides a safe place to stash all your new loot from the Exhibitors hall, instead of lugging it around with you all day.

My two-cents, but I think it's worth it. We always consider BGG Con a vacation, so we treat it as such. That we live close enough not to have a long multiday drive or the added expense of plane tickets just makes us that luckier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stay at the hotel. Mostly due to playing games every night until well past 2am and the thought of driving home at that point is tough.

And the wife coming up with stuff for me to do "while I'm home." And sometimes alcohol implications.

When they move downtown, I might consider the DART as one of the stations is walking distance from the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't speak for BGG con, but I live ~half an hour from a convention I attend every year. I didn't get a hotel room the first couple years, and it was fine, but opting for a hotel room made it vastly more enjoyable. It's just so nice and convenient. Plus you can take advantage of the hotel's amenities if you need a break, like the hot tub. And if you're an introvert, it can also be nice being able to retreat to your room for a quick recharge every now and then.

It's worth splitting a room if you know other attendees, but I'd still go for it even if you have to pay for it on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is me speaking as a convention attendee (not an organizer).

I used to go to some MTG & Warhammer conventions in the early 90s where I would drive in and stay for a few hours and then leave. To me it was just like going to a game store or a friend's place to game... no big deal.

Then I stayed on-site for my first multi-day board game convention in 2000 and it changed my life. Being completely immersed in a gaming environment was a completely different feeling in a great way.

I had a different outlook on them after that. I love hotel conventions! (which is why BGG.CON & Spring will be a hotel convention for the foreseeable future).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
Roommates and hotel room transfers are always a possibility however slim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Hurst, which is about 10 mins from the airport. I have stayed in a hotel every year I've attended.

Nothing like a short stroll upstairs to use your own bathroom or resting a bit before gaming some more.

Worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

to use your own bathroom

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Live for the moments you can't put into words
mbmbmbmbmb
mroseksi wrote:

So worth it. It's part of the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
mroseksi wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

to use your own bathroom

This.

Of course sometimes it's fun to hear how many people don't wash their friggin' hands.

Effing sick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Awesome
United States
A-Nation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Also, if you are a consumer of adult beverages, I highly recommend either the con hotel or one a short uber away.

Drinking and driving is definitely NOT awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cartchamp
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
mroseksi wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

to use your own bathroom

This.

Of course sometimes it's fun to hear how many people don't wash their friggin' hands.

Effing sick.

And just turned in the game that you are now playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartchamp wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
mroseksi wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

to use your own bathroom

This.

Effing sick.

gulp
Lets get a petition going! HANDS MUST BE WASHED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mroseksi wrote:
Cartchamp wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
mroseksi wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

to use your own bathroom

This.

Effing sick.

gulp
Lets get a petition going! HANDS MUST BE WASHED!
Sanitize early. Sanitize often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm sorry Smokey. You were over the line.
badge
Too many games, too little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Can't speak for BGG con, but I live ~half an hour from a convention I attend every year. I didn't get a hotel room the first couple years, and it was fine, but opting for a hotel room made it vastly more enjoyable. It's just so nice and convenient.

... I'd still go for it even if you have to pay for it on your own.

I used to live about a half an hour away from BGGCon. The first two years we drove back and forth then that third year decided to stay in the hotel. Even if that was still an option for me, I'd never want to change back to not staying at the hotel. It's soooo much nicer. Knowing you don't have to drive home at whatever hour allows for much more flexibility and gaming. I feel much more connected to the whole con experience and it's REALLY nice being able to run up to your room real quick if you need to, even if its just to drop some stuff off. But what I really like are the mornings, being able to walk down from my room and grab a big buffet breakfast then getting right into a game without having to mess with driving and getting out of the house is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.