Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » General

Subject: 1st vs 2nd Edition ? And Solo Only Purchase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just wondering if 2nd Edition is a BIG improvement over 1st edition?
If you can get 1st Edition for a good deal, is it still worth getting OR just cave and get 2nd edition to save a bunch of frustration ?

Second....if ONLY BUYING FOR SOLO PLAY... is there enough there to justify the purchase?

From what I can tell, there's only one mode or scenario or something you can play Solo?

Is solo allowing you to play All the Campaign Missions/Scenarios in the book as 1 character (or 2 handed 2 characters)... or is it a crippled version to play as one character in just one scenario ?

(it would be cool if PRedator & Human could team against Aliens... one player control Preds & Human "team" and the Alien be automated.)

THOUGHTS ??

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Lagerpusch
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only playing solo I would go for the second edition. The solo mode you are refering to is called The Last Stand and puts Predators and Marines against Aliens. You are not playing the campaign against the Aliens, but you can use those maps for The Last Stand or set up your own maps. Your objective always is to barricade the Alien Spawn points. Depending on the difficulty you are playing on there are more or less Spawn points. The Aliens are controlled by an AI mechanism.
Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peer, thanks you!
In your opinion, is there enough adventure/action/decision & replayability to warrant buying JUST for Solo ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
I Just purchased 2nd edition and have played two solo games and enjoyed the experience. I can see a lot of potential for Replayability. I'm thinking of posting a short review/thoughts soon.

I would highly recommend some expansions if you're only intending to play solo -- it will help mix the game up. My second game I included facehuggers (unicast models too) to the aliens and enjoyed the variation. A couple of my marines were facehugged and it felt very thematic.

My suggested expansions you might consider are Alien Warriors, facehuggers and Sentries.

Good luck with your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.