Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a lot about Power Grid. I really enjoy network building (especially if there is some advantage to getting somewhere first), the resource market is cool, and PG allows one to take unique strategies. However, I don't love auctions, at least not the standard style auction as in Power Grid.

Any suggestions on a game that might be in the ballpark without having the auctions (or if you have a good auction variant for PG)?

Also, since it has to be included in every Euro recommendation thread, I am not looking for Keyflower (I swear it shows up every thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Network building?

Not really what you are asking for (I think), but the first thing I thought of where Empire Builder Rail Games games.

YOu are building network of train lines and in a way you are getting 'resource' to make money on your network (which in turn is built to be the most efficient in delivering said 'resources')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Friese's game 504 is arguably at least somewhat in the ballpark if you play with the Roads module or Race module (for network building with some advantage to getting somewhere first) and the Pick up and Deliver module for some variable income as resource demands vary.

And if you like the art and graphic design style of Power Grid, then 504 may be similarly pleasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gallardo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it, Medieval Merchant is Power Grid without the auctions and without the resource management. (But it keeps all the arithmetic!) Works quite well at 6 players.

Unfortunately, the game is generally unloved, but that means you might be able to find it easily on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a relatively simple game, but Ticket To Ride is a classic network building game with set collection, and lots of people enjoy it still, in spite of its simplicity. Have you played it? Have you tried it with expansions to freshen it up maybe?

Also, look into Hansa Teutonica, which has good interaction and network building as well. Its my favorite game with Power Grid probably in my top 5, and HT is pretty unique and aggressive for a euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Its a relatively simple game, but Ticket To Ride is a classic network building game with set collection, and lots of people enjoy it still, in spite of its simplicity. Have you played it? Have you tried it with expansions to freshen it up maybe?

Also, look into Hansa Teutonica, which has good interaction and network building as well. Its my favorite game with Power Grid probably in my top 5, and HT is pretty unique and aggressive for a euro.

I maybe should have specified that I'm not a gateway gamer (that is a good assumption given the question). I've played TTR, but it is more simple then I'm looking for. I don't really like HT. I think network building needs something else on top of it (like a resource market).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I like a lot about Power Grid. I really enjoy network building (especially if there is some advantage to getting somewhere first), the resource market is cool, and PG allows one to take unique strategies. However, I don't love auctions, at least not the standard style auction as in Power Grid.

Any suggestions on a game that might be in the ballpark without having the auctions (or if you have a good auction variant for PG)?

Also, since it has to be included in every Euro recommendation thread, I am not looking for Keyflower (I swear it shows up every thread).

Brass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:

Brass?

I kickstarted the new Brass: Birmingham. I've played the original a few times, but there were enough corner cases that it was never super fun since I played with a lot of new players. I'm hoping the extra variability will push it over the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
KissellMissile wrote:

I kickstarted the new Brass: Birmingham. I've played the original a few times, but there were enough corner cases that it was never super fun since I played with a lot of new players. I'm hoping the extra variability will push it over the edge.

Age of Industry perhaps?

Concordia is another map-network game similar to Power Grid without auctions. Easy to teach, too.

Steam is another network builder, I've played without auctions and it's quite fun. Turn order is determined by which action tile you take.

Others:
Airlines Europe
Council of 4
Hansa Teutonica
Santiago (auctions)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2081/routenetwor...

Honestly, just play Power Grid, I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as a fellow auction hater maybe

Concordia
Food Chain Magnate
Cannes: Stars, Scripts and Screens
Roads & Boats
1846: The Race for the Midwest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.