Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: I find it strange that this game hasn't got more hype going for it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
I periodically hop over here to see if there have been any updates, but not only is Near and Far not on the hotness, but its forums are also empty despite the nearing approach of its release date.

With the success of Ryan's other games, I'd have thought this one would be getting more attention.

Why do you think it's so quiet around here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
wasn't made by CMON or Stonemeier, so no fanboy zombie horde milling about forums restlessly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it'll pick up once people start receiving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hype is usually (not always) present when someone wants to validate their purchase as good. So if a game is hyped they feel good about their purchase. With Red Raven Games, we know Ryan's games are good so we just wait patiently for them to change our lives, hype isn't needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too be honest I have the kickstarter coming with the above and below expansion and I was turned off a little by the Watch It Played videos. Game looked very fiddly with a ton of rule gotchas which is not like a Ryan Laukat game at all. I think the game is just in that weird area where people are on the fence for the hype because of this, could be great or could be too fiddly no one knows until they get the game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
I was turned off a little by the Watch It Played videos. Game looked very fiddly with a ton of rule gotchas which is not like a Ryan Laukat game at all.

Annnd I'm off to watch Rodney do his thing. Curious if I'll feel the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
Too be honest I have the kickstarter coming with the above and below expansion and I was turned off a little by the Watch It Played videos. Game looked very fiddly with a ton of rule gotchas which is not like a Ryan Laukat game at all. I think the game is just in that weird area where people are on the fence for the hype because of this, could be great or could be too fiddly no one knows until they get the game soon.

Shut your whore mouth Brett!
(kidding. Im just excited and hope you are wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hyped. I played this at a convention recently and this will probably be my favorite game very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:

Hm. Now you've got me thinking I need to go re-watch Rodney's video. I don't recall noticing any gotchas when I watched, and I think the gameplay looks fairly smooth; I like how turns are a single action and done.

but I am pretty excited for this one; I didn't have the $$ to back the KS, and I don't have the $$ to have it on preorder yet, but this one is going to be added to the collection sometime between now and Christmas, I'm certain of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am wondering why this forum has been so quiet lately. I'm REALLY psyched for this! I only backed for the A&B expansion and regret not grabbing N&F too. Originally, I thought all those wood meeple components replaced the tokens for N&F, so I didn't back... not realizing that it's in addition to. So I regret my stupidity, lol... but I've got this thing on pre-order.

Rodney's video hyped me more, honestly. There are more rules, but that's because there are more things you can do, with so many paths to victory or failure.

I just love the idea that this entire world with each character's individual stories are all neatly packed away in that pretty little box... Yeah, I've reached the point where I romanticize Near & Far. I've even already compiled a playlist on my iPod for good background music which my wife and I listen to when we play Above and Below. We're ready for this... My pre-order can't get here fast enough! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
I think the game is just in that weird area where people are on the fence for the hype because of this, could be great or could be too fiddly no one knows until they get the game soon.

I don't find it fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fjaoaoaoao wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
I think the game is just in that weird area where people are on the fence for the hype because of this, could be great or could be too fiddly no one knows until they get the game soon.

I don't find it fiddly.

Fiddly for me is having to remember a lot of little rules if you dont think there is a lot in this game after watching the videos then we will just have to agree to disagree

ckruns624 wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

Hm. Now you've got me thinking I need to go re-watch Rodney's video. I don't recall noticing any gotchas when I watched, and I think the gameplay looks fairly smooth; I like how turns are a single action and done.

but I am pretty excited for this one; I didn't have the $$ to back the KS, and I don't have the $$ to have it on preorder yet, but this one is going to be added to the collection sometime between now and Christmas, I'm certain of that.

I think for me the real amazing thing that a Ryan Laukat game does is its a game that only takes about 5-10 minutes to teach. Yet all his games always feels like im playing a game with a lot of hard decisions to make and lots of strategies to try out.

Near and Far will be a nightmare to teach to new people. Is someone else at that worker space in town, did someone already lay a tent, what happens when two tents are in a row on a route, dont forget about all the cards that can alter everything, what version do you want to play of the game which is vastly different from others, having a new player understand character talents you can unlock with XP, why do you want to place tents, bonus spots, why do you need quest cards, why its important to have different party members, how does an adventure work, explain how to use there character cards, I can keep going on haha

If you can find a dedicated group of people the game I think can be a lot of fun. I just think a lot of people will be suprised by the fact its not a typical Ryan Laukat game in that sense you can teach and play in an hour and half to two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
Near and Far will be a nightmare to teach to new people. Is someone else at that worker space in town, did someone already lay a tent, what happens when two tents are in a row on a route, dont forget about all the cards that can alter everything, what version do you want to play of the game which is vastly different from others, having a new player understand character talents you can unlock with XP, why do you want to place tents, bonus spots, why do you need quest cards, why its important to have different party members, how does an adventure work, explain how to use there character cards, I can keep going on haha

Yeah, as excited as I am about getting this game, I didn't expect this amount of minutiae. I play games with my wife, primarily, so I think the teaching will be manageable, and I'd only have to do it once.

I have to admit: It does look more streamlined than earlier versions of the game (in that you had to pay food to move, rest your party, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

More minutiae actually makes me more excited to get the game! I love RR games, but I sometimes wish they were a bit meatier/heavier. This might be perfect for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Nash
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
I've even already compiled a playlist on my iPod for good background music which my wife and I listen to when we play Above and Below. We're ready for this... My pre-order can't get here fast enough! =)

Curious what your playlist looks like for above and below? I have been using Melodice.org for our playlist and I like 90% of the music they chose, but I am interested in other music that people have chosen! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I think I'll be dusting off the Princess Mononoke soundtrack for my Near and Far Campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a range of different stuff, but some of my favorites from the playlist are:

"King of it All" by Allegory Music (the one used in N&F ks video)

"Apothesis" and "The Road of Trials" from the Journey (game) soundtrack

"End Credits", "Rebuilding Serenity", "Going for a Ride", and "Serenity" from the Serenity soundtrack

"Beginning of the End", "Mid-Country by the Stream", and "On the Road to Kansas" from The Stand soundtrack

I love melodice.org, but sometimes I find their playlists hit or miss. I think they're good for some battle or epic music, 'cause that is more or less easily definable... but this playlist I call "The Journey" had to invoke a sense of just that... a Journey... something akin to what you feel at the start of Fellowship of the Ring. Nothing dire, epic, or anything like that... mostly hopeful and adventurous tunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
wasn't made by CMON or Stonemeier, so no fanboy zombie horde milling about forums restlessly.

Speaking of Stonemaier - they are directlu opposite the aisle from Red Raven at Gen Con this year! I think I'm going to pitch a tent there!

JUST KIDDING! (but not about the booth locations!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
fjaoaoaoao wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

I don't find it fiddly.

Fiddly for me is having to remember a lot of little rules if you dont think there is a lot in this game after watching the videos then we will just have to agree to disagree

ckruns624 wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

I think for me the real amazing thing that a Ryan Laukat game does is its a game that only takes about 5-10 minutes to teach. Yet all his games always feels like im playing a game with a lot of hard decisions to make and lots of strategies to try out.

If you can find a dedicated group of people the game I think can be a lot of fun. I just think a lot of people will be suprised by the fact its not a typical Ryan Laukat game in that sense you can teach and play in an hour and half to two hours.

I agree and disagree, even though I'm not Boris the Animal....

I think this game **will** be learned fater by someone with experience with above and Below. For me this looks like a Level Two Ryan Laukat game.

On the other hand, this **doesn't** have to be a campaign game. I, personally, amd definitely going to play it three or 4 times as a one off just using the first map with different people before even suggesting Hey I'm going to host a series of games to try out the Character or Campaign mode. Who's in?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's surprising that this isn't busy while nobody has received the game yet -- it's been a while since the campaign when most of the things we know about the game were discussed, and there are no issues with production or fulfilment.

I'm sure this will pick up once people receive their game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
Too be honest I have the kickstarter coming with the above and below expansion and I was turned off a little by the Watch It Played videos. Game looked very fiddly with a ton of rule gotchas which is not like a Ryan Laukat game at all.

Well, Brett, you're not alone. I'm obviously going to reserve judgement until I actually get it on the table, but there is a lot going on. Which, for the right game group, is going to be fantastic. I play with my kids, so this is going to be harder to teach to them. I'm really hoping that the story opportunities make up for fiddly-nature and all the little gotchas aren't too difficult. At the very least, I'm hopeful that the community will come up with one of those little cards that present the things easily. Though I guess it would just be two things, right? Like visit town or adventure. From there, I guess they can go over the individual things like dueling or battle, etc.

This game is beautiful though, I'm glad I didn't go all in on the extras though. I did get the meeples, but I don't know if it'll see enough table time to have justified the cost of the extra books, and pack birds, and turtles, etc. I hope my kids prove me wrong, but I'm not super hopeful.

It sounds nit-picky, but does anyone else not really love the font choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:

Haha! That's funny right there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBox wrote:
smith2332 wrote:

Shut your whore mouth Brett!
(kidding. Im just excited and hope you are wrong)

Haha! That's pretty damn funny too. You guys are cool in this forum .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.