Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
We are finding the rulebook to be badly written so far.

One of the things that we couldn't figure out is the PP that the Buildings are gaining at the end of the game.
The rulebook says:
+"X" PP for each constructed building.

We know its not 1PP, because above mentions clearly 1PP for another instance.

The "X" means something else.

But in the whole rulebook, this is not mentioned.
It is only mentioned that buildings at the end of the game give PP.
No other info...
Plus the numbers on the building tiles are pretty confusing, because they are not mentioned anywhere in the rulebook, although i suspect its for an expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Rupinette
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Charalampos Tsakiris wrote:

Plus the numbers on the building tiles are pretty confusing, because they are not mentioned anywhere in the rulebook, although i suspect its for an expansion...

The numbers on the building tiles are the PPs, i.e. the X in the "+X PP for each constructed buildings."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with this assumption is that the symbol for PP's is not the same as in the rest of the game.
Plus this symbol is not mentioned in the whole game, neither for the normal buildings nor for the special ones...

Do you all make the house rule (or house assumption) that these are the PP's ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Rupinette
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree the rules aren't clear, but I'm not assuming anything. The inconsistency in the graphic design for PPs has been noted in other posts in the rules forum. The designer comments on it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a house rule nor an assumption -- those numbers are PP officially! What else could they possibly be?

"For an expansion"... Hah. A joke?

Take a quick look at the tiles. You'll notice that the buildings with more difficult requirements give more PP, even though they may help others (if red). The extra PP are the compensation. After one game or so, I'm sure it will be very obvious. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In many games if you do not make clear lines of what is and what is not, makes or breaks a game.
And we get a game from a big company that is supposed to take notice of these things, so this is not normal.
So you make assumptions by deduction and you may be right, but they shouldnt be assumptions.
Players read the rules to play the game, not needing to go to bgg forums and trying to clear any issues...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've criticised rules clarity of Yamatai in my big review.

But some of my favourite games (A Study in Emerald) have far worse rule books. I think if it as just one of many factors.

I never imagined that there could be confusion about buildings-PP. You are not the first to ask the question (as pointed out), but for me, it did not cross my mind to doubt the obvious interpretation.

The best rulebook I know is Dominant Species Third Edition. Flawless. Almost every other rulebook has some issues that need study of BGG forums... if you don't read the forums for rules, I'm sure you are playing many games wrong without knowing it. It's the nature of the hobby now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am courious in seeing the reaction of DoW publisher, will they make a revised rulebook or not?
As far as all the other games that have problems in rulebooks i can understand that, bit i give less excuse to big companies about not correcting the obvious things.
Of course the whole group playing the game mainly suspected that these were points, but its one of the most immature mistakes a matured company could make.
Anyway, the game is good and i hope DoW treats it with caution...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.