Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking about buying this game. It looks very
Similar to Frontline d-day also from DVG a few years ago.
It had all sorts of problems so I sold it. This game looks
Like a replacement game for ww2. Can you guys comment on
This game vs Frontline d-day. Is it a more polished game?
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Never played Frontline: D-Day, but looks quite different?

What are your 'problems' with Frontline? Me and others here can probably tell you if those same problems exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Pewtress
Canada
Guelph
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimwaite wrote:
I was thinking about buying this game. It looks very
Similar to Frontline d-day also from DVG a few years ago.
It had all sorts of problems so I sold it. This game looks
Like a replacement game for ww2. Can you guys comment on
This game vs Frontline d-day. Is it a more polished game?
Thank you.

Had Frontline, and it was awful... just got into Warfighter WW2, and it is good filler-fun solitaire, or with a couple friends for co-op. Very solid with just the base set, the expansions aren't a "must buy". (though I did anyway). A bit chaotic (in a good way, the same way I love Combat Commander's chaos management), like the narrative of a war movie.

Clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience with Frontline D-Day. Warfighter is nothing like it in my opinion. I love Warfighter WWII and Warfighter Modern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
tailz wrote:
just got into Warfighter WW2, and it is good filler-fun solitaire, or with a couple friends for co-op. Very solid with just the base set, the expansions aren't a "must buy". (though I did anyway). A bit chaotic (in a good way, the same way I love Combat Commander's chaos management), like the narrative of a war movie.

I think its a little on the long side for a 'filler', but that depends on what your definition of filler is I don't think I can finish a mission from start to finish (including set-up) in less than an hour unless it is a very short mission. If I could leave the game out in between sessions, that would cut down time significantly, especially when playing a Campaign.

Totally agree it has a great narrative (possibly the best part of the game)! Also, the luck factor doesn't seem that high and difficulty seems consistent. Balance seems really good - missions are often a close run thing, though by the time I had more than a dozen plays under my belt I was almost always winning on the normal difficulty level. Fortunately, the game comes with an elite difficulty level!

Also totally agree the base set is solid. Knowing what I know now, I would not have bought any expansions. They are a terrible value, for me. But that's another issue ...

Also, totally agree solitaire or small group co-op. Technically, you can play it with more, but it's not a good system for larger groups.

The biggest down-side is that it isn't a horribly deep game - now, that might be a plus for you, but for me that means it got stale a lot faster than I expected it to, given how many random variables there are. Would it get state for you? Who knows? That's really a matter of taste.

I've mostly finished a review, and if I can stop playing Race for the Galaxy on my iPad, or writing on these forums, I'll get the damn thing done and posted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree....this is very different from and MUCH better than Frontline. Sold my copy of Frontline too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I REALLY wanted to love Frontline with the terrain and different
Characters. But I couldn't. Warfighter might fill that
Niche. Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a much more positive appraisal of Frontline D-Day than it seems others here do.

That said, they are very different games. Warfighter has a larger footprint and many more components, but it is much easier to learn. And it's quite fun to play. The two games share a setting and card use and that's about all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for got rid of Frontline and like WF-WWII quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.