Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buehler
United States
Hillsdale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lynn,

Thank you for the fantastic write up of the first turn. One question I have is how would the remains of TF Drake (Waters and 3/168) get into the fight on Turn 2 (or later)? They are out of command radius which, as I understand rule 4.2f, means they either have to remain in their initial hex or move as close as possible to the command radius, i.e., not "foot dragging." With the CCA HQ in 17.15, Waters and 3/168 either have to remain in place or flip to their move side and move as close as possible to the CCA command radius. They could not stop, for example, in Sidi bou Zid unless they had exhausted their entire movement allowance. Is this correct? I'm trying to understand the implications of being out of command radius.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chris,

I am glad you found my article useful.

Here is my interpretation of the options available to any or all parts of TF Drake. If my interpretation is not correct I am sure Dean will (gently) correct me.whistle

You are correct that the consequence of BCS Rule 4.2f is that in any subsequent Activation of CCA, units of TF Drake must either remain in the hex they occupy or move to reenter Command Radius of CCA HQ. And any such movement must be conducted "without foot dragging". In addition, 3.3 Command Radius in the BbF special rules says that TF Drake units have Safe Path and are exempt from the effects of Command Radius as long as they remain in their scenario start hexes. So TF Drake units will not lose steps from Isolation if they remain in their start hexes. However it they move they are subject to 4.2f.

Now here is my critical interpretation of "foot dragging". I do not believe that TF Drake units must flip to their Move-side. They may use either their Move-side or their Deployed-side if they move. With any movement I believe they should use their full MA AND their direction of movement should result in moving closer to the CCA HQ. Within those limits they are free to move. In other words, I do not believe that 4.2f requires these units to reduce their defensive capability by flipping to their Move-side and becoming Unprepared. HOWEVER if any TF Drake unit moves it will be subject to the full effects of Isolation potentially losing steps for being out of Command Radius and for having no Safe Path.

One last interpretation. Suppose a unit of TF Drake (TF Waters for example) moves onto a hex of the Secondary road running from Faid to Sbeitla thus blocking a potential Axis MSR. On a subsequent activation the requirements of 4.2f state that the unit could remain in that hex and suffer the additional effects of Isolation. There is no requirement that a unit moving toward regaining Command Radius must continue moving on every Activation until it reaches Command Radius.

This is the situation that the Axis player must be aware of as he advances from Faid toward his western objectives. Units of TF Drake which are left behind without "supervision" may become a threat to Axis MSR routes. It is true that those units will evaporate quickly due to the effects of Isolation but before they waste away they may cause logistic problems for the Axis forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buehler
United States
Hillsdale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lynn,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. It's helpful in my understanding of isolation and what isolated units can/can't do. Plus, you raised an excellent point about TF Waters getting to the road running from Faid to Sbeitla. Once there, they would not have to move and could potentially block an Axis MSR for several turns before melting away due to the effects of isolation.

Cheers,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.