Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing 2-player. We have 3 cards left to be played (yellow 3 4 5). I have the 4, partner has (and knows) the 5, one of the 3s was discarded earlier. I'm reasonably sure I don't have the 3 unless it's my newest card.

We have no hints left, so partner discards a card and does not draw the 3. There are now 2 cards in the draw pile. What do I do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Waste a clue just for the sake of not drawing. Your partner will discard and draw. If that's the 3 you need, clue it and you'll get perfect. If not, you're out of luck anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Or play your unknown card, if you have a strike to spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, should have included that we had used one strike.

Yeah, if the 3 is on bottom there's nothing to be done, the score will always be 28. So assume either it's in hand or on top.

In hand (newest): playing scores 30, discard scores 29 (partner hints, I play drawing the last card, then only I can play), hint scores 29 (partner discards, now I have no choice but to play, then only I can play)

On top: playing is 29, discard is 29, hint is 30 (partner discards, I hint, partner draws the last card and we both play).

Elsewhere in hand: playing is 29 (assuming partner can clue it sensibly), discard is 29, hint is 28 (partner discards, I play my new card drawing the last card, partner hints, I play)

When it came up in-game I didn't think of playing, was just picking between discard and useless hint. I chose useless hint, turned out playing would have been right and I was thinking that might be best always. But looking at it now playing doesn't actually handle "on top", we still run out of turns. Playing is still probably the top choice, because it beats hint when I'm wrong about not already having the 3. Exact odds would depend on exact game history, other 3s/yellow/multi cards interfering with a potential hint, etc.

Amazing how one wasted hint earlier makes all the difference here (for our skill level, we had 3 wasted hints).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Were I your partner in the described scenario (he has the 5, and knows which card, you have the 4, and know which card, you have the 3 in your newest position) then as your partner I do a different action on his turn when he discarded...

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I discard my newest (non-5) card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Yes - I agree with Robb. If I have the 3 in my hand, partner will signal that to me. Partner hasn't, so I don't. I just give a dummy clue, let partner discard and draw again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.